apco25 ham radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonBon

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Feed Provider
Hello,
I am posting here today to find out if there are any clubs/groups that have discussed starting a p25 digital system. digital is what interests me. more people might get into the hobby of ham radio if this was the case. so many features allow users to interact in many ways. younger people would be attracted to this side of ham due to the computer side of it all. I am also wondering if there are any groups out there that have talked about starting up a mototrbo/nxdn or standard DMR system. Due to the lacking amount ham "systems" in our area, I feel no need to get my license.

Starting an apco25 ham system in the northern Virginia region would allow for interop in the case of an emergency.

slapshot0017

Umm I really don't know what you mean by a system, but around the country there are NXDN, Mototrbo and P25 Amateur repeaters everywhere. There is even a National NXDN Linked system and International Mototrbo system. A quick google search and even a search on here will show all of these.

There's a DMR repeater in Hay Market, and D-STAR in various areas of N. Virginia, so digital is available in the area now. Maybe jump on one of those technologies now and on to P25 when there's more interest in your area.

I've been on D-STAR for over 5 years now, and just bought my first DMR radio. Once I master DMR I may look at P25. There's always somewhere to go and grow in this hobby.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
P25 digital radio

I have used D-Star since the IC-91AD came out and for the last two years DMR and P25. DMR is the most interesting to me because of the international connections. If NXDN gets started in my area, I will probably give it a try. Right now, DMR is also the least expensive with the CS700 radio.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Richmond has or will have a DMR repeater up. Petersburg Va has a DMR repeater. Wytheville and Fancy Gap also have DMR repeaters up. All I believe but one are on the NCPRN repeater network which is a multi-state DMR repeater group. Includes if I'm not mistaken NC, VA, and SC. All are DMR-MARC as well.

Check the DMR-MARC location site and the NCPRN location site for lists of current and upcoming repeaters in our area. There are a couple or three up in the DC area of VA too.

NCPRN.net and dmr-marc.net

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
P25 coexists with analog in Richmond on the 927.05 repeater and the 145.43 repeater. NAC in both cases is 293.

There's D-STAR on 147.255, 1284.0 and a UHF freq that I forgot. DMR is supposedly on the way.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
P-25 Amateur Repeaters In Lynchburg

There are two P-25 repeaters in Lynchburg atop Candlers Mountain.

Both are dual mode (FM and P-25) and both are linked to each other. Both are coordinated through SERA.

VHF-
146.6100 MHz output, Tone = 136.5 Hz, NAC = $293
146.0100 MHz input, Tone = 136.5 Hz, NAC = $293

UHF-
420.0500 MHz output, Tone = 136.5 Hz, NAC = $293
426.0500 MHz input, Tone = 136.5 Hz, NAC = $293

TX in analog on 2m, you are heard in digital on 71cm
TX in digital on 2m, you are heard in analog on 71cm

TX in analog on 71cm, you are heard in digital on 2m
TX in digital on 71cm, you are heard in analog on 2m

The 2 meter repeater has been at this location for several decades, and was upgraded to P-25 in 2005. The 71cm repeater was added by KB4CVN in 2001, and was transferred to the Lynchburg ARC (K4CQ) in 2009.

This 420 MHz voice repeater is one of several in the area. There is a low-power repeater on the same frequency pair and tone in Raleigh, NC, with a signal favoring to the south. 420.375 is in Washington, DC. There is another in Virginia Beach.

Mark Cobbeldick, KB4CVN
Halifax County, VA

Last edited:

K3EP

And to throw another digital mode into the mix, Stafford ARA just installed a Yaesu DR-1 repeater that does both FM and digital C4FM on their 147.375 pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.