APD officer down I-75/85 SB

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmbstn

Premium Subscriber
Living in Canada (3hours N of Detroit), we have not had coverage of this incident, I found out through RR Post. As one who deals with death, loss, and the families of those affected daily, I can sense and feel the anger and pain. I feel the sadness of such a loss. We are left with so many questions. Why does something so tragic happen to someone who has given so much, and asked for so little in return. People often ask me how can you do what you do? It is simple, faith. I understand that the only thing I truly have any control over is ME. I am not a "religious" preson, but a man of faith. PC. Thomas touched so many lives, in so many ways. The point that you worked along side with her is something for you to hold dear. Her Watch is over. It is up to "us" to continue on, in such a way that would reflect the values she embodied and used each day. As for the suspect who chose the opposite path in life then PC.Thomas, she will someday need to answer to a Judge (not the one in the black robe) and will need to account for her actions. I would not wish to be in her shoes.
I know feelings are very raw at this time, and I hope you may find some peace and comfort in the day's ahead. Be well.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
I saw a pictured of the side-swiped APD cruiser. The drunk driver is to blame no doubt. But you'll see more of this unfortunately since it seems most police vehicles around the metro area have now transitioned to a LESS-SAFE all black or dark, dark blue low-profile paint job; yes the high intensity LED lights and arrow bars are brighter than the older strobe bars at night...but I suspect that the intense light output combined with the dark paint is confusing impared (and regular drivers) and you can't see the outlines of the patrol car as easily you would as if they were painted white. I think these departments should re-think the sneaky stealth paint jobs for safety's sake. It may not have prevented this fully but I believe it is a step in the right direction to increase visibility and give the officers the best chance out there when they risk their lives for us. Off soap box.

The markings on all APD cruisers are bright reflective red. The APD officers begged for years to get non-white cars, this is what they want. The blue cars they have now provide a tactical advantage to officers on patrol.
The white cars APD used to have actually had no reflective markings at all.

APD's rear LED package is probably one of the brightest Ive ever seen in GA, and even features red or amber LED's on the deck.

I dont agree with your post at all, there is no way in hell her patrol car and the other one there couldnt be seen. They were both active with full LED's and APD has more rear led's than even GSP.

Here is what APD is facing in terms of DUI....check out this video taken from an APD's DUI task force unit dash cam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv2n0ARC9BU

this officer risks his life trying to warn oncoming cars of the wrong way driver

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Casey, I don't believe for a minute that darker cars, or LED lights, are to blame.

Drunk driving is drunk driving. Distracted driving is distracted driving.

We cannot tolerate CRIMINAL behavior. And Rep. Kidd (appropriate surname for someone who concocts such an asinine idea) who thinks DUI's should fall off one's MVR and CH is out of his mind.

Back in the late 80's the NHTSA had an ad campaign "Drunk Driving is Murder on our Roads", and it should be viewed as this by the system. DUI ends lives, cripples people, breaks up families, burdens the health care/trauma system (sadly NOT usually the offender but the innocent victim), and makes all of our insurance go up.

Hold these people accountable and send them to prison, not give them a slap on the wrist and make their criminal acts disappear just because "everyone is doing it"

Casey

This is a touchy subject as there are both civies and cops on here but the outline of the white color cars were definitely easier to see at night compared to the 'new' dark cars. The lighting does tend to blow you out also...imagine what it does to the impaired driver....this tragedy is one indicator. Hopefully there will be something looked at...but nothing will be done as cops would rather have the dark cars.

tmbstn

Premium Subscriber
Bottom line is NOTHING will stop a impaired driver in a 3-5,000p (Avg) killing machine. I agree that some departments have their vehicles decked-out like a Christmas tree, but there is a very practical reason for this, to warn oncoming traffic to slow down, use caution, and give them right of way. These officers are highly trained in the use of there emergency/warning lights. Sure they may be distracting, but if you are on a roadway and see a vehicle with it's lights on, you are to slow down, give right of way, and not look at what is going on with the "beautiful lights", but watch what is happening infront of you and keep you vehicle under control. In most emergency vehicles, the driver has a number of options as to what combination of warning lights they use. You talk to any LEO and they will tell you that a traffic stop is one of the most dangerous situations they encounter. There are just so many variables, and things that can go wrong. The person who made a decision to get drunk, then drive, is the one who is responsible for the murder of PC. Thomas. Period!

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Sadly, Casey is just doing what we as a society has taught him to do. Don't blame the person who caused something, but look for fault with the victim. We've all seen this happen, "the rape victim was asking for it" or "why would they wear jewelry like that, I'd rob them too"

This is a shame, and hopefully we as a society can correct our ignorance.

tmbstn

Premium Subscriber
The Munz ~~ Remembering the fallen

The above link is very sobering. Out of 10 Law Enforcement Officers who served their Final Watch in the last few weeks 5/50% were automobile or MVC related. (This is only in The US, I am Canadian). But all 10 came at the hands of another. These Officers and their families deserve our prayers and respect.
As of Jan. 27, 2012 17:00h (Est) there have been no completed Funeral/Memorial Fund arrangements for PC. Thomas. Expected to be released soon. As per APD Sgt. J Sturdibert.

kk4eb

I thought we had a 'move over' law in Georgia that requires a motorist to move over at least one lane or slow and be prepared to stop when encountering an emergency vehicle. Why is she not being charged with this as well?

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Because she'll probably spend 20+yrs in prison, and that is a minor charge that wouldn't add time to her sentence. (You can be convicted of multiple charges, but you serve them "at the same time" in layman's terms) Most likely, it would just result in a fine though.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
And one more, showing the flag from Ground Zero which was brought to Atlanta as a way to honor Thomas:
Video - CBS Atlanta 46

Attachments

• apd.jpg
    apd.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 292
  • apdd.jpg
    apdd.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 288

tmbstn

Premium Subscriber
Just a quick note to the pic above. Sen.PC. Thomas was a longtime member of the APD Honor Guard.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
her funeral was today, her daughter was there to accept the flag.
I want everyone to remember this face the next time they go out partying hard and decide to put a few down and get behind the wheel.
She could have been your wife, your mother, your daughter, your sister, your niece, your cousin, your best friend, your neighbor, your co-worker, maybe the lady who saved you from suicide, who worked your wreck, who broke up your fight and brought peace, who found your stolen car...

RIP Senior Ofc. Thomas, we will miss you, we will never forget you.

here is a memorial video from WSB-TV:

Officer Thomas memorial video | www.wsbtv.com

Attachments

• 402730_3153727283658_1279459061_3220414_757904777_n.jpg
    402730_3153727283658_1279459061_3220414_757904777_n.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 268
Status
Not open for further replies.