APD officer down I-75/85 SB

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Sad to say, heard AFD dispatch an officer hit by vehicle tonight on I-75/85SB split. All traffic on I-75SB has been diverted at Howell Mill.

the officer was assisting a motorist when struck.

the officer was fatally injured.

Awful. Another officer gives their life, serving our city.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Will do as soon as one is setup.
Senior Officer Thomas had a college age daughter who was away at school, who had to learn of her beloved mothers' slaughter in our street.

She was a GREAT officer, a true loss for this city which is already dealing with another recent tragic death of a young woman found deceased the same day (not a LEO, but another beautiful young upstanding citizen who's death is untimely and suspicious to say the least, Stacey Nicole English)

I actually heard Thomas sign on at 22:55 last night on zone 5 radio. She went out on a minor 41 on the interstate to help keep another officer out of traffic, and she gave her life for him at the hands of a drunk fool.

I'm tired of DUI. We need to start ramming these drunks harder than child molesters.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much. Donating to fallen officer's families is something very close to my heart.

It's a shame to lose an Officer in any way, especially in a way that is totally preventable. My heart goes out to her family, colleagues, and to LEO's in general, all of which lost someone truly special last night.

N8IAA

And now, some idiot in the GA state house wants to expunge the DUI records for those that stay clean for 5 years. What a MORON! Cops that WSB TV talked to on the evening news are outraged.
What is wrong with these politicians:confused::confused:
Larry

Casey

I saw a pictured of the side-swiped APD cruiser. The drunk driver is to blame no doubt. But you'll see more of this unfortunately since it seems most police vehicles around the metro area have now transitioned to a LESS-SAFE all black or dark, dark blue low-profile paint job; yes the high intensity LED lights and arrow bars are brighter than the older strobe bars at night...but I suspect that the intense light output combined with the dark paint is confusing impared (and regular drivers) and you can't see the outlines of the patrol car as easily you would as if they were painted white. I think these departments should re-think the sneaky stealth paint jobs for safety's sake. It may not have prevented this fully but I believe it is a step in the right direction to increase visibility and give the officers the best chance out there when they risk their lives for us. Off soap box.

Last edited:

tmbstn

Premium Subscriber
Prayers for the Family as well as her 2nd family with the APS.
Just to add to the above quote. It is basic driver instruction that wherever your eye's go so do the hands. People have this "natural" attraction to the Cruiser's emergency lights (more so during darker hours). I know if I am o/s and the call happens to be on a roadway, most times the lanes will be 3/4 or even fully blocked off. Fire is also o/s to provide assistance as well they position their Rig's too protect those doing their duty. Bottom-line, for as many fatal MVC's I attend where alcohol is involved, most of the time the person who is impaired walks away, and the innocent tragically are critically or fatally injured. People just do not seem to get it, if you drink don't drive.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
One nice thing I stumbled across, was the Memorial Page for her. In Remembrance of Senior Officer Gail D. Thomas - Info | Facebook

One disturbing thing, the let's get drunk and do dumb stuff page the drunk and her friends started a while back. The Quad Squad | Facebook

I've been keeping an eye out for a Memorial Fund, but still haven't seen any info. (If anyone comes across it please let us know)

BTW think this pic will come back to haunt her? http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...46783927.41857.199213206784461&type=3&theater

Last edited:

tmbstn

Premium Subscriber
Have been intouch with APD as of 1/26/2012 11:30am No information regarding funeral services or a memorial/trust fund for Officer Thomas.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
One nice thing I stumbled across, was the Memorial Page for her. In Remembrance of Senior Officer Gail D. Thomas - Info | Facebook

One disturbing thing, the let's get drunk and do dumb stuff page the drunk and her friends started a while back. The Quad Squad | Facebook

I've been keeping an eye out for a Memorial Fund, but still haven't seen any info. (If anyone comes across it please let us know)

BTW think this pic will come back to haunt her? Facebook

Gail Thomas' daughter is a soon to be graduate of Georgia Southern. She, unlike this 4'10" drinking, partying, tweaking cockroach that murdered her mother, is following in her now late mothers' footsteps of being a PRODUCTIVE CITIZEN.

Mayor Reed has personally pledged her college education will be paid for an she will be taken care of by the city.

Sad part is the 22 year old trash can girl will have all her needs paid for by the state for the next however many years, all on our dime.

and to think some fellow white trash who calls himself a state representative wants to make DUI's fall off your MVR and CH like it's nothing more than a seatbelt ticket. Completely and utterly ABSURD.

tmbstn

Premium Subscriber
Gail Thomas' daughter is a soon to be graduate of Georgia Southern. She, unlike this 4'10" drinking, partying, tweaking cockroach that murdered her mother, is following in her now late mothers' footsteps of being a PRODUCTIVE CITIZEN.

Mayor Reed has personally pledged her college education will be paid for an she will be taken care of by the city.

Sad part is the 22 year old trash can girl will have all her needs paid for by the state for the next however many years, all on our dime.

and to think some fellow white trash who calls himself a state representative wants to make DUI's fall off your MVR and CH like it's nothing more than a seatbelt ticket. Completely and utterly ABSURD.

I must say that I agree with you on many of your points. I unserstand and can relate to your anger in regards to this situation. I am not sure how things are south of the boarder, but here in Canada MADD ( Mothers Against Drunk Driving) have a massive lobby in our parlaiment, and our laws are slowly begining too tighten-up. As mentioned in a earlier post, in my profession I often see the aftermath of ones poor and reckless judgement to drive while impaired. It is not only alcohol, but people driving impaired on pot, Painkillers (eg;Oxycontin), sleep deprived ect. And most of the time the impaired person walks away, and the innocent are critically injured, or deceased. My hope is through this tragic event, that the younger generation will wake up, and see the damage done, and maybe think twice before getting behind the wheel imapired of a 4-5,000 pound killing machine.

Our Thoughts & Prayers go out to the Thomas Family, Atlanta Police Service, and ALL the families who have lost a Loved-one to impaired driving.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I must say that I agree with you on many of your points. I unserstand and can relate to your anger in regards to this situation. I am not sure how things are south of the boarder, but here in Canada MADD ( Mothers Against Drunk Driving) have a massive lobby in our parlaiment, and our laws are slowly begining too tighten-up. As mentioned in a earlier post, in my profession I often see the aftermath of ones poor and reckless judgement to drive while impaired. It is not only alcohol, but people driving impaired on pot, Painkillers (eg;Oxycontin), sleep deprived ect. And most of the time the impaired person walks away, and the innocent are critically injured, or deceased. My hope is through this tragic event, that the younger generation will wake up, and see the damage done, and maybe think twice before getting behind the wheel imapired of a 4-5,000 pound killing machine.

Our Thoughts & Prayers go out to the Thomas Family, Atlanta Police Service, and ALL the families who have lost a Loved-one to impaired driving.

I agree- not just alcohol but Oxy is a HUGE problem in the ATL. About a month ago, I watched a 20 something YO white female at a Mexican joint I frequent passing out at the table. She had a beer but did not appear to have been "putting them down" like the dirtbag who murdered Sen. Ofc. Thomas was said to have been doing Monday night.

I asked a server to check on her, the female admitted she was on prescription pain killers (yeah, I SURE she had an RX for them:roll:). I went over and told her not to drive. She said she was just tired. As soon as she got up and stumbled out to her black Honda Accord, she barely made it in the car. I called Smyrna PD and gave them 78's, while I was on the phone with radio she nearly took out two people walking into the place. She sped off and was gone. Not sure if Smyrna caught up to her, but never heard any signal 41's when I got in my car.

People like this need to be treated with harshly, not given a pass the way one of our state representatives from Macon seems to think. This is nothing short of murder on our roads.

tmbstn

Premium Subscriber
There is also this "Myth" out there that you can smoke canibus and drive, some go so far as to claim that using pot make them a better driver. NOT! I am not against canibus, it has great theraputic value for treating pain in many forms. However as we have both mentioned, if you are impaired by anything, you have no business driving, or operating anything for that matter that may hurt you or worse someone else. You did the right thing that day buy calling Law Enforcement. I know you are unsure what happened, but you may have saved a life. Here in Kitchener-Waterloo ON, where I reside, thanks to the cell phone (which is also illegal here to use and drive) I hear many calls for 9-55/9-57 (Driving Complaint/possible impaired driver). WRPS put's the call out on all 3 divisions air, and take it VERY seriously. They might not catch you on the road, but if they have your tag #, you can bet someone will be waiting for you when you get home. At this time in Toronto (45m away) there is a huge debate on Fire Service & EMS joining forces. That topic was for another thread, but in a atricle in the Toronto Star last month a Ontario Provincial Police Officer (OPP) was quoted stating there is no need for TFS to responde to every fender bender here on Hwy 401. They show up with their million dollar trucks with lights flashing, and all they do is back-up traffic for miles. (I looked all-over for this article but no luck, so this may not be exact quote, but 95% as best recalled). I would have to say that this is not the mentality of most LEO, as we know at the very least they position the rig in a position to protect themself. as well as other First Responders on sceen. What happener to PC. Thomas is tragic, and hard to understand. What you did that day in the restaurant may have prevented a tragic situation such as this from happening. Keep it up.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Sorry if I missed this being posted before:

"Ms" Jones has been cited six times for traffic violations in five years, the Fulton County District Attorney’s office said Thursday.

This was the first arrest for Jones, but she has been cited six times for traffic offenses, including four times for speeding, a member of the DA’s office told the judge Thursday. Jones has also been cited twice for making erratic lane changes and twice didn’t show up for court appearances, according to the DA’s office.”

“In Nov. 2008, Jones was cited in Gwinnett County for causing a one-vehicle wreck on Five Forks Trickum Road, Cpl. Jake Smith with Gwinnett police told the AJC….”

GREAT JOB CHASITY! Blow off court dates, Double fist drinks(Like in the fb photo I shared earlier), crash your car(MORE THAN ONCE), drive like an idiot, Avg. more than a ticket p/yr.

OMG why are news outlets still saying things like "We should recognize she(Chasity) has lost her life too." or "I feel sorry for this young lady" Everything she has done has lead her to this point.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Sorry if I missed this being posted before:

"Ms" Jones has been cited six times for traffic violations in five years, the Fulton County District Attorney’s office said Thursday.

This was the first arrest for Jones, but she has been cited six times for traffic offenses, including four times for speeding, a member of the DA’s office told the judge Thursday. Jones has also been cited twice for making erratic lane changes and twice didn’t show up for court appearances, according to the DA’s office.”

“In Nov. 2008, Jones was cited in Gwinnett County for causing a one-vehicle wreck on Five Forks Trickum Road, Cpl. Jake Smith with Gwinnett police told the AJC….”

GREAT JOB CHASITY! Blow of court dates, Double fist drinks(Like in the fb photo I shared earlier), crash your car(MORE THAN ONCE), drive like an idiot, Avg. more than a ticket p/yr.

OMG why are news outlets still saying things like "We should recognize she(Chasity) has lost her life too." or "I feel sorry for this young lady" Everything she has done has lead her to this point.

I am sick of the Atlanta media showing Chasity and her DISGUSTING trailer park (yeah, still some of those in DeKalb county believe it or not) hag of a mother ALL OVER TELEVISION wailing like a banshee about her drinking, tweaking, whoring daughter going to prison.

I've never heard Lorelei (that's her mother's name) apologize to the family of the officer her offspring slaughtered apologize, nor apologize to society for raising such a turd. Just feel sorry for herself, and go back inside the grease covered, roach infested kitchen in her trailer to suck down more cigarettes and drink beer.

Contrast that with Jasmine, Sr. Ofc Thomas' beautiful daughter who is also around the same age as the 4' 10" cockroach that murdered her mother. Jasmine is a student at Georgia Southern, has above a 3.5GPA, and is on her way to being an wonderful example of humanity like her now late mother. It's too bad Jasmine won't be there to share her graduation, her marriage, and her future successes with her mom, as some skanky cockroach robbed her of it. and now we get the courtesy of keeping the cockroach alive, feeding it, grooming it's antennae, licking it's chops, urinating and defecating all over the place as cockroaches do- and sadly, will breed like any female roach does: producing plenty of disgusting offspring that spread their filth and foulness on everything they contact.

SIDENOTE: apologies to everyone if I am offensive. I got the pleasure of working with Sr. Ofc. Thomas in 2005 when I was working EMS dispatch for special events in Atlanta. I am glad to say for the short time I spent with her working in that crowded APD MCV, she was an incredible officer. She even intervened into a minor argument I was having with my director, and quickly diffused it by bringing humor to the situation- and made us all forget it and move on.

And that my friends, is why she was such a great officer. she didn't bully people into compliance, she used a combination of wit, humor, poise and composure to gain compliance and keep the peace.

I heard her sign on for her shift on zone 5 radio about 22:55. Always pleasant on the radio.

Then it happened.

I heard her fellow officer put the 63 out at around that night and then the subsequent AFD traffic. I can't get it out of my mind. Such a wonderful person.

Cut out of this world by a dirty, selfish, narcissistic, 87 pound human cockroach on it's hasty way to go to it's feeding trough.

Last edited:

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I know I may not have the right to say this being far away, and not knowing every little detail, but would the coverage be the same if the races were reversed?

I've never seen a black man/woman kill a white officer (in any manner, DUI or otherwise) and be treated this well. Again I apologize if I'm way off base, but I'm left shaking my head when I see everyone defending the killer.

(If you are wondering, I'm white)

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I know I may not have the right to say this being far away, and not knowing every little detail, but would the coverage be the same if the races were reversed?

I've never seen a black man/woman kill a white officer (in any manner, DUI or otherwise) and be treated this well. Again I apologize if I'm way off base, but I'm left shaking my head when I see everyone defending the killer.

(If you are wondering, I'm white)

Exactly my point. I'm a mighty whitey too- in case anyone cares- but I know for a FACT if it were a black perp and a white cop, the national media would be camped out, and the perp would be portrayed as the BIG BAD HORRIBLE (insert substitute for racial slur here) who ran down the nice white cop.

This was completely opposite. Piece of uneducated low rent white trash murders an upstanding black female officer, and everyone sympathizes with the offender. "Poor girl, her life is over" Yet if it was a black defendant the threads would go "thug life loser should get the chair" or "ghetto girl gone wild and butchered the po-po"

People who think discrimination isn't real are fooling themselves. While the WHITES ONLY restrooms may be gone, the bigotry has just gone underground. But it comes out subtly.

Case in point, here in ATL we also found out on the SAME DAY as Sr. Ofc Thomas' murder, a *beautiful* woman went missing on 12/26. Her body was positively identified as Stacey Nicole English, a graduate of Hampton University, worked for SunTrust (huge bank in the Southeast), and lived in Buckhead ($$$$). Three guys looking for scrap metal found her badly decomposed body the day before. It took over 24 hours for dental records to positively ID her. Fulton county's ME office is STILL trying to find out the cause of death, because her body was in advanced case of decomp, it's unclear as the cause.

Several things don't add up. APD says there are no signs of foul play. But her Mother and stepdad don't buy it. And the last person to see her alive was in town from St. Louis, where young black women go missing with cars left running...so where are all the CSI's, FBI and GBI resources on this one? Would more attention be given if she was a white female from the same area?

Can you say Natalee Holloway? the world descends on Aruba when a good looking white lady turns up MIA...victim is a beautiful black woman, and it barely gets mentioned?

read this if you are interested:

Phoenix Coldon And Stacey English Disappear 500 Miles Apart: Could There Be A Connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.