ApexRadio RX antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

majoco

Stirrer
.....and here's a pic of my unun made from a FT-114-43 ring and a braid-breaker.

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
It works well right up to 20MHz, above that it's pretty quiet but there's not a lot of activity around here. The 11m CB band useage is almost nil and I don't get much on my discone into an Icom R7000 either. I could get an FT-114 -73 ring or -J and make another but it probably would be worth the effort. I notice that the John Bryant text says they only tested up to 7MHz but perhaps that was the limit of their test procedure. However, I found this on the Palomar Engineers website...

(2) Mix 43 excellent for common mode chokes from 2-300 MHz, Use Mix 31 below 10 MHz for higher choking impedance. Mix 43 is available in TOROIDS, and SLIP ON BEADS [/unquote]

http://palomar-engineers.com/ferrite-products/ferrite-cores/ferrite-mix-selection

Last edited:

WA8ZTZ

Martin,

Been digesting all this, thanks for posting.

The first article mentions the IRCA (International Radio Club of America) which is primarily a MW DX club. So, my guess is that much of what is presented there is optimized for the AM BCB.

My antennas with 9:1 ununs using 43 material work great on LW and MW but start to go deaf much above 80 meters.

Have not had much luck here with powdered iron material for LW/MW but built an antenna with a unun using T106-2 and it worked well on 40 meters and higher frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.