App to help connect Elmers and new HAMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

synthetik

Hello all. I'm a Technician license holder and also a designer by trade. I'm doing some research on a project for an app that would easily connect those willing to be Elmers to those new hams looking for mentorship. I would love it if anyone could share their thoughts on the below or anything else you would like to add. Your response greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

• How do you currently find Elmers or how do Elmers currently find new hams in need of mentorship?
  • What is the most challenging part of this process using current tools, sites, etc?
  • How / what would make this process easier for you?
  • What kind of features (sky's the limit) would you like to see in this application?
  • What would you NOT like to see in this application?
  • Are there any constraints or concerns you may have that would make this process difficult? What could help alleviate this?
  • Any other thoughts/insights into this issue you would like to share?

CQ

Interacting with people from local ham clubs and repeaters. Or maybe a ham fest but I personally haven't gone to one since the last millennium. I would say Usenet newsgroups but is that a thing any more?

I don't do "apps" so forums or whatever a web browser search comes up with (credible sources of course) would be my choice.

Chronic

Hams use Ham Radio's , many don't have or use smart phones so an "APP" is going to only reach the younger hams , some will be willing and able to Elmer. using a local repeater and ask for help on what you need help on , most times there is someone willing to help . Also like CQ says , go to your local ham club .

synthetik

To clarify this could be a web-based service accessible via a browser as well as an app. This may help frame answers to some of the questions above and the aversion to smartphones/apps.

CQ

No aversion to smartphones...been using them since first released and before.

I don't need 10,000 apps when all I need is one good web browser. Unfortunately, many of the so-called "apps" are dumbed-down web sites. Unfortunately, web sites are getting dumbed-down thanks to the puny phones.

Not an attack on you...just practical feedback.

synthetik

No worries, thank you for clarifying :) I'm trying to understand the mindset of all hams who would potentially use this and that is great info. Any/all feedback is appreciated including constructive criticisms of the concept.

I'm especially looking to understand any frustrations or pain points with currently available options like message boards, sites, or local meetups/clubs. This solution could potentially make it easier to pair willing mentors with new hams based upon criteria like location, license class, specific interests, equipment types, preferred modes, specific bands, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.