Appalachian Power (American Electric Power) -- migration to P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for your reply...Both Kingston and Bolt are still active on EDACS system.
I monitor AEP regularly...

OK. I don't doubt that they are online. BUT, please do consider reviewing all of the frequencies on each of the site licenses that you can copy -- if you have a scanner capable of digital and you know the difference between what an EDACS control channel and a P25 control channel sound like. Because when they turn up a new P25 site, the old EDACS site is often online for a little while -- So you may find EDACS still monitorable but might be surprised by an active P25 control channel at the same site. I'm not just mentioning this for your sake, but for the sake of anyone else reading this. EDACS Online does not [necessarily] mean that P25 is not online at the same location.

Logan, Madison, Hershaw, Coal Fork, Ansted and Duo are all online, and they surround the sites you monitor and are neighbors/peers. So if the sites you monitor do not have P25 online yet, they probably will soon.

Google Map - Lists all licensed frequencies for each site (at least in most states).

If you have a Uniden digital scanner (which you probably do since you were asking about Sentinel), then you could use Search mode to search 854 mhz - 862 mhz for the existence of any P25 control channels within monitoring distance of you. If you happen to do a search and find any, please let us know anything/everything that your display reports. It's really best to use Pro96Com / Unitrunker / DSDPlus to sleuth out the P25 sites in full detail, but if you do not have access to them you can at least get some information from the P25 control channel in Search mode.

Mike

DeaconHarry16

Premium Subscriber
Map is very helpful...Large dots, confirmed? Small dots, licensed but unconfirmed?
I can usually hear Bolt, Kingston and Flat Top from home. I'll program these in and keep an ear out.
I am using an SDS100 now. I do have an HP-1E that I used with Unitrunker years ago but not sure it would be any help with Phase 2, P25.
Thanks

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Map is very helpful...Large dots, confirmed? Small dots, licensed but unconfirmed?
I can usually hear Bolt, Kingston and Flat Top from home. I'll program these in and keep an ear out.
I am using an SDS100 now. I do have an HP-1E that I used with Unitrunker years ago but not sure it would be any help with Phase 2, P25.
Thanks

Not quite. If you see red colored or blue colored, that means the sites ARE online and either we don't know the location yet OR (more likely) nobody has confirmed it is online by personal monitoring even though we know in our hearts that it is online. Those are the bigger balloons.

The "dots" are FCC licensed sites. Don't pay any attention to the different colors of the "dot" sites, other than to know they are color coded to be Appalachian Power (blue) or Kentucky Power (green).

So darker blue balloons are confirmed by personal / direct monitoring. Lighter blue ballons are online (based upon peer/neighbor reports of other sites) but have not been confirmed by direcdt monitoring by a user. And the dots are FCC-licensed sites for which we have not had any reports of them being online yet (via direct monitoring or via P25 peer/neighbor advertisement).

But, just because a site is a "dot" and thus not confirmed online or "likely" online, that doesn't mean it isn't online. The majority of "dots" will become balloons eventually as new sites come online.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks

And to add on to my last post, do this:

Go to American Electric Power P25 Trunking System, various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies
- Click on the Wiki link
- then Click on American Electric Power P25 - 1F7 - Appalachian Power Site Research

On the 1F7 page, you''ll see what sites have been confirmed online by personal monitoring (online xx-xx-xxxx) versus ones believed to be online but not directly confirmed ("needs confirmed")

Mike

DeaconHarry16

Premium Subscriber
Took my SDS100 on a little roadtrip to see if I could confirm AEP P25 activity.
Data from the Ansted site in Fayette County WV
System ID - 01F7h
Site - 0036
WACN - 42715h
NAC 024h
RFSSID-36
TG 4209 - Discussing service disconnection, unknown location
TG 4220 - Identified as DDC (discussing work assignment with, unknown location)
Nothing from Kingston, Bolt or Flat Top

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Took my SDS100 on a little roadtrip to see if I could confirm AEP P25 activity.
Data from the Ansted site in Fayette County WV
System ID - 01F7h
Site - 0036
WACN - 42715h
NAC 024h
RFSSID-36
TG 4209 - Discussing service disconnection, unknown location
TG 4220 - Identified as DDC (discussing work assignment with, unknown location)
Nothing from Kingston, Bolt or Flat Top

What was the control channel? We have to know that as well to add it to the DB.

Mike

DeaconHarry16

Premium Subscriber
Found a place closer to home with good signal.
855.2625 was only frequency to return the values from my previous post.
Did not hear any TG activity...as long as I had a good signal this frequency was consistant in returning data.
Other frequencies did not return any data.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Found a place closer to home with good signal.
855.2625 was only frequency to return the values from my previous post.
Did not hear any TG activity...as long as I had a good signal this frequency was consistant in returning data.
Other frequencies did not return any data.

Thanks Deac!

mike

fredva

Feed Provider
While in the area, I caught brief activity on talkgroups 4000, 4200, and 4209 coming from the Leon site. Not enough conversation for me to try to categorize the talkgroups though. About the most I can offer toward that was a guy on 4000 saying that he was pulling a couple of meters because there wasn't any service at his location.

NikonFE2

I have been hearing AEP (P25) the last several days on the Athens and Zaleski sites in Ohio. It’s only the “Athens Trouble” 2263 talk group. Sometimes however it sounds like a one-sided conversation.

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
West Virginians (and I suppose Kentuckyians who might be reading this thread):

Code:
4.4      Hurricane WV        Needs confirmed        last known CC was 855.0375
8.8      Sissonville WV      NEEDS PEERS/NEIGHBORS
12.12    Probably Elkhurt WV Needs confirmed        last known CC was 857.8375
18.18    Kiahsville WV       Needs confirmed        last known CC was 855.8375
19.19    Elkhurst WV         Needs confirmed        last known CC was 855.7875
26.26    Frame WV            Needs confirmed        last known CC was 856.3375
36.36    Ansted WV           NEEDS PEEERS/NEIGHBORS
38.38    unknown             Needs confirmed        last known CCs were 855.0125 and 856.0125
73.73    Greenup KY          Needs confirmed        last known CC was 854.7125
75.75    Kitchens KY         Needs confirmed        last known CC was 855.5125
76.76    Fitch KY            Needs confirmed        last known CC was 854.8125

Google Map
RR Wiki
RR Database

When I say "needs confirmed", I mean that we need full information from the control channel, which is only obtainable by using something like DSDPlus, Unitrunker or Pro96Com. We need full list of control channels (primary and alts) as well as peers/neighbors and their associated CC.

Please consider searching 854-862 mhz for the existence of P25 control channels with a SysID of 1F7 and a WACN of 92715.

For sites already listed in the RR Database, if you can copy them please copy them and submit any updated information (new peers/neighbors, change in freqs, etc).

There are at least six WV sites online that haven't been confirmed yet, and very likely more online than that. There are three KY sites online that haven't been confirmed yet, and very likely more online than that.

Please submit your findings here in the forum and to the DB (if confirmed by personal monitoring and you have UT/DSDPlus/Pro96Com info to back it up) - Submit Data to RadioReference

Thanks!

Mike

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
I was able to decode sites 4.4 Hurricane and site 38.38. I submitted them to the DB. Conditions were very good for a long period but now are starting to fall off.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I was able to decode sites 4.4 Hurricane and site 38.38. I submitted them to the DB. Conditions were very good for a long period but now are starting to fall off.

Very nice. 38.38 has to be Lavalette, despite no freqs bcast on CC are on license.

The wiki has updated sites needing confirmed (and I think a few sites have been narrowed down, such as Dingess, Frame and Elkhurst).

Great job, Tom!

Mike

DeaconHarry16

Premium Subscriber
Found this today...caught it on SDS100, verified with Unitrunker
Flat Top WV
1F7 92715
Site 37.37
854.91250 Primary 00-0313
858.3875 Seconadry 00-0591
859.3875 Secondary 00-0671
No additional channels listed

Peer (only 1)
854.0875 Primary 00-0247
Possibly Elgood in Mercer County...could not receive at my location

Several 4000 series talk groups listed but no voice decoding to identify

Harry

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Found this today...caught it on SDS100, verified with Unitrunker
Flat Top WV
1F7 92715
Site 37.37
854.91250 Primary 00-0313
858.3875 Seconadry 00-0591
859.3875 Secondary 00-0671
No additional channels listed

Peer (only 1)
854.0875 Primary 00-0247
Possibly Elgood in Mercer County...could not receive at my location

Several 4000 series talk groups listed but no voice decoding to identify

Harry

thank you. I will get this added shortly. Did you submit it to the aep 025 db?

nice job!

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.