Appending from Senteniel or manully entering in Talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

436isthe1

Whistler ws1080/Uniden 436hp/GD-77and Cobra 29 ltd
Hello, on my 436hp I have a Statewide P25 system appended from Senteniel program, but there are more talkgroups I want added to my Statewide system. Should I append them using the Senteniel program or manually add them to my state wide system in my favorite list? And why?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello, on my 436hp I have a Statewide P25 system appended from Senteniel program, but there are more talkgroups I want added to my Statewide system. Should I append them using the Senteniel program or manually add them to my state wide system in my favorite list? And why?
If you are going to use Location for the Favorites list that you are creating, you are better off using "Append" from the main database. That will bring the location & range settings for the sites and departments along with the append. If you, instead, create the system manually, then unless you also manually add location details, that site or department would not scan when location was in use. When entered manually, the location information for departments and sites is zero degrees for both latitude & longitude. As that "location" would be in the Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of Africa. That would be out of range, and so it would be skipped when location is used.

Appending a statewide, or large regional, system does bring across all the sites, though you can (if careful) only append the specific departments. If you are using location, then, based on the location & range you set for your scanner, the scanner will ignore the sites out of range. That would be the case whether you are manually entering location, or using a GPS.

I prefer to remove the extra, out of range, sites. The names used for sites might be a specific city or county name, which are familiar to you, so you can cull those out easily. But often, they are named after a locally known site, such as a hill or Hwy deignation. Those are harder to determine which you should use. However, if you go to the system in the database, then clock on the County header over the lists of sites. That sorts them by county name, so that you can see which ones to use, or to remove (or manually change to Avoid).
1605993265706.png

On the initial screen in Sentinel, when you open your Favorites list, you'll see the sites listed, in alphabetical order. You can select them on that screen, either using <shift> to select a range of sites, or by holding down the <CTRL) key as you click on the sites to remove. Once you have tagged sites you don't want, then you can <right><click> on them & choose "Remove from Favorites List" to delete them. Sentinel will give you a pop-up to confirm that you do want to delete, but you can quickly get that done & move on. Of course, you could also remove the extra sites using the Favorites list editor,

436isthe1

Whistler ws1080/Uniden 436hp/GD-77and Cobra 29 ltd
If you are going to use Location for the Favorites list that you are creating, you are better off using "Append" from the main database. That will bring the location & range settings for the sites and departments along with the append. If you, instead, create the system manually, then unless you also manually add location details, that site or department would not scan when location was in use. When entered manually, the location information for departments and sites is zero degrees for both latitude & longitude. As that "location" would be in the Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of Africa. That would be out of range, and so it would be skipped when location is used.

Appending a statewide, or large regional, system does bring across all the sites, though you can (if careful) only append the specific departments. If you are using location, then, based on the location & range you set for your scanner, the scanner will ignore the sites out of range. That would be the case whether you are manually entering location, or using a GPS.

I prefer to remove the extra, out of range, sites. The names used for sites might be a specific city or county name, which are familiar to you, so you can cull those out easily. But often, they are named after a locally known site, such as a hill or Hwy deignation. Those are harder to determine which you should use. However, if you go to the system in the database, then clock on the County header over the lists of sites. That sorts them by county name, so that you can see which ones to use, or to remove (or manually change to Avoid).
View attachment 94380

On the initial screen in Sentinel, when you open your Favorites list, you'll see the sites listed, in alphabetical order. You can select them on that screen, either using <shift> to select a range of sites, or by holding down the <CTRL) key as you click on the sites to remove. Once you have tagged sites you don't want, then you can <right><click> on them & choose "Remove from Favorites List" to delete them. Sentinel will give you a pop-up to confirm that you do want to delete, but you can quickly get that done & move on. Of course, you could also remove the extra sites using the Favorites list editor,
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.