Appropriate Alert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Does this meet the definition of an "active working major incident"?

Lawrence Fire and Police

Lawrence:Ambulance and PD responding to 85 Bradford st for the man laying in the rd screaming (9:02 CDT)

D

DaveNF2G

As a member of a few incident alerting services and the founder/operator of one, I have learned that there are no consistent standards for "major incident" among scanner listeners. Nor is there any consensus on how busy an alerting service should be.

The call you describe meets somebody's definition of a major incident, and satisfies somebody else's desire to see as many alerts as possible.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
The call you describe meets somebody's definition of a major incident, and satisfies somebody else's desire to see as many alerts as possible.

An incident? Yes... Worthy of an alert? I guess that's up to interpretation. But I can't believe anyone can justify that as a "major" incident.

This feed also has an apparent trashcan fire as a major incident now.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
An incident? Yes... Worthy of an alert? I guess that's up to interpretation. But I can't believe anyone can justify that as a "major" incident.

If you live in Podunk, [fill in the state], then a trashcan fire might very well be considered a major incident. Not everybody lives in NYC, LA, or Chi-town.

All joking aside, I wouldn't consider it a major incident. But i also wouldn't worry about the fact that it shows up as such. It takes me less than a second to click a mouse button.

Mike

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin

I have seen alerts go as far as a fire alarm, :roll: if its something that obvious or something against the guidelines than you can bet we will remove it.
I think some providers will just use anything as a "major incident" to try and get their feed listed on the alerts page.

What Dave said sums it up pretty well.

Last edited:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Breaking news alert just posted... If Broadcastify is going to start sending out email/SMS messages for incidents, this isn't going to offer much bang for the premium users' bucks...

"FD Responding for the Cardiac arrest didn't catch Address"

n5ims

"Honey Boo Boo got a bo bo. Mom is in route code 1 with both Hello Kitty and Dora bandaids. Follow the action on their live baby monitor feed."

hfxChris

Database Admin
Breaking news alert just posted... If Broadcastify is going to start sending out email/SMS messages for incidents, this isn't going to offer much bang for the premium users' bucks...
Very good point. If I'm a premium subscriber, I don't want to be receiving emails or text messages about a trash can on fire, or somebody yelling in the street...

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Most of the alerts I see when I check are pretty good for being something that could be considered "major" or close enough. I do have to agree though the feed given in the example can get tedious at times. Some days I think every PD or Fire call the feed covers becomes a new "alert". I don't care that two neighbors are arguing over a stolen newspaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.