April 2013 DPS presentation on YRCS/AzWINS radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I ran across a good presentation by Kevin Rogers from DPS Wireless Systems Bureau with information about DPS movement to 700/800 Mhz. It is a 20 minute presentation with some good radio system information. Even though this was more than a year ago, it does not seem like much has changed since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McXheVFTQLY

Some things that I found interesting:
-DPS wants to outfit all DPS Metro East, Center, West, and Motor units with Dual-Band UHF/700/800mhz to move to AzWINS and provide direct interop with valley agencies. Doing this would cost $20 Million to replace all valley unit radios. Currently no budget.
-ADOT Enforcement currently utilizes multi-band radios.
-DPS CI units currently have UHF/700/800mhz radios with encryption.
-DPS “motor” units are now equipped with UHF/700/800mhz portables since they are frequently involved with Interop events like presidential visits, super bowl, etc.
-Prior to upgrading DPS mobiles/portables, there is a project for taking 4 talkgroups from RWC, 4 talkgroups from TRWC, 4 talkgroups from YRCS/AzWINS, and 4 talkgroups from PCWIN and tie them all together. DPS dispatchers would then be able to do patches to UHF as needed.
-Build-out of AzWINS portion of the system was made possible by partnerships (YRCS sites), ADOT grants (2 sites), Homeland security funding (4 sites), and RICO funding (6 sites).
-2019 deadline to have 2/3rds of Arizona’s population with 700/800mhz YRCS/AzWINS radio coverage.

Tonight, I monitored an AZ DPS unit on Phoenix PD channel B4 (Radio ID 8230062) working a search with Phoenix PD in Ahwatukee. Based on the above info, I’m guessing this was a CI or motor unit.

There are many other old PSCC presentations available on YouTube (including the final PSCC/SIEC meeting discussing the PSCC being shut down). If anyone comes up with something else interesting, please share.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=PSCC+AZ

p19997

Premium Subscriber
Hi Cellphone.

Thanks for posting the DPS radio id. That tells me that Talk Groups 2191 and 2192 are DPS's. Unfortunately, they are encrypted.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
DPS upgrades

My source at YRCS was asked about DPS stopping UHF/700 simulcasting. There are no plans to move wholesale to 700 away from UHF. UHF will remain on all mountaintops for the forseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.