April TASC meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don_Burke

I have been talking to Jason about having a meeting at the WNIS/WTAR/WPYA/WROX/WUSH studios on 19 April 2008.

The time has not been set, but I am going to guess that 10:00 would be about right.

The studios are at Dominion Tower, 999 Waterside Drive in Norfolk. That is the big brown building next to the Berkley Bridge that says "Bank of Hampton Roads" on it.

Park in the parking garage and bring the parking ticket so I can get it validated for you.

After a tour we can head over to Waterside and get something to eat.

Don Burke

K4APR

Great Don. Thanks for all of your help! 10 AM (1000 hrs) is perfect.

Look forward to seeing everyone there.

K4APR

I want to keep this thread alive to let everyone know about the meeting. Sorry that we had to announce it late to the group. It would be nice to have a turnout like the first meeting.

Thanks!

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Don, I know one of your DJ's and he might argue that point. :D

I'll still leave it in the car as I want to absorb as much as I can while I'm there.

Thanks for setting this up.

K4APR

Don_Burke said:
Hey, bring it if you want. They are no competition to us.

It's funny, I have XM in my truck, but I spend close to 90% of the workday listening to WNIS. Mostly Boortz and Rush.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Excuse the sarcasm here, but I am PO'd. Made the trip, but not the event.

Got to downtown Norfolk about 9:30 this morning. Coming in over the Berkley from Portsmouth. Imagine my surprise when I try to exit on Waterside only to find the road blocked. I am forced to turn onto St. Paul's.

Okay, well I'll go park by the stadium and walk in. WRONG. There is a parade forming in the lot and I'm sent down some side street that puts me on Tidewater heading AWAY from downtown. Obviously this is why Waterside was closed.

I make a u-turn and head back towards Waterside. Ask a uniformed Norfolk something or other (not police, these clowns were wearing light blue shirts and dark blue pants) where I can park. I'm told McArthur Center, Scope or Harbor Center (where ever that is, but she pointed towards Harbor Park). Told me had I gotten there five minutes before, I could have gotten to the garage by the bank. Great, five minutes before, I was trying to get there through the detours. And if the access was open why not off Waterside?

So I head back to the ball park and ask another uniformed clown if I can park there. Not here he says, only parade participants are allowed.

Well enough is enough, it's ten til ten and the parade is getting ready to start. So, I came home.

I hope some of you others got a chance to make it.

Again, Don I appreciate you taking the time to set this up.

Should we do something like this again, especially in a downtown area, can we check to see if our scheduled time is going to be interferred with by some other larger event. I mean, let's not do something in Hampton the weekend of Bay Days.

I'm really the most upset with Norfolk. Their uniformed traffic control was clueless as how to help someone not all that familar with downtown Norfolk. I was given contradictory directions. Reminded me of a monkey with a football.

Guess I'll go take it out on the lawn mower.

Don_Burke

I should have caught the conflict.

Three hardy souls braved the crowds and got to Dominion Tower and we had a good time.

If anyone wants a tour of the stations on a Sunday, PM me and I will be happy to set it up after verifying that the date is clear.

Sorry about that.

Don Burke

Status
Not open for further replies.