APRS Garmin Nuvi 200 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2AL

I am trying to figure out how to create a interface cable between my Kenwood TM-D710A Model K and my Garmin Nuvi 200.

Does anyone have any extertise in trying to build a cable and if so, have any directions? Better question, is it even possible?

Thanks,

Andrew
KK4IFN

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
To answer your last question first, probably not. Your GPS receiver needs to provide NMEA 0183 formatted data strings over an RS-232 serial port in order for it to work with any APRS TNC or radio/TNC combo. If your nuvi 200 does not have this output, you may be out of luck.

Scott Miller at Argent Data has had some success converting the Fleet Management Interface (FMI) on some Garmin nuvi models to serial data that your TNC can use. But, the nuvi 200 is not on his list.

Your best options may be the Green Light Labs GPS receiver that mounts on the back of the control head (sold by AES) or a hockey puck type of GPS receiver (see the Byonics web site for GPS receivers and pre-made cables for connecting to your D710). You can find a lists of GPS receivers with the proper output at:

Hardware - APRSWiki

D

DaveNF2G

Generally speaking, GPS units with built-in map screens designed for navigation in an automobile are not useful for APRS or other applications needing raw location data (like scanner autoprogramming). The location data are converted internally to display on the screen and are not made available at any external port.

As W9RXR mentioned above, for APRS you need a simple GPS receiver with raw data output. If you want both kinds of capability in your mobile, then you will have to buy both kinds of GPS unit.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The only problem I see with that Trimble unit is that it's a separate GPS engine and antenna. The hockey puck GPS receivers that Argent Data and Byonics sell are all-in-one.

Many of the early Garmin eTrex units had NMEA output. Don't know about the later ones. The Garmin GPS60 series of handheld units do mapping and have NMEA output. But, generally speaking, the consumer-oriented GPS navigation units sold in the big box stores do not have NMEA output over a serial port.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
The only problem I see with that Trimble unit is that it's a separate GPS engine and antenna. The hockey puck GPS receivers that Argent Data and Byonics sell are all-in-one.

Many of the early Garmin eTrex units had NMEA output. Don't know about the later ones. The Garmin GPS60 series of handheld units do mapping and have NMEA output. But, generally speaking, the consumer-oriented GPS navigation units sold in the big box stores do not have NMEA output over a serial port.

Yes that is true. But for the price its not that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.