APRS Message Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Last night, I received an unsolicted APRS message on my VX-8R. I didn't send any message that caused a message to be replied back to me. It just showed up & was advertising some local net.

I thought that was cool, but it got me wondering - how did I get this message? I noticed there was a group name attached to the message; it was not addressed directly to me.

As far as I know, my call is not in any APRS groups, but how would I even know that?

Because I received this message - am I a member of this group?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
As it was advertising a local net the digipetter your beacon was received by could be at the same location. Menu #19 in the APR'S list probably shows "G1 ALL" which I assume is a wild-card receive and store from any group name your VX8 hears. Some of the menu options are not easily understood.

I believe it was addressed to you, at least to MY CALLSIGN + SSID you sent at an earlier time.

Last night, I received an unsolicted APRS message on my VX-8R. I didn't send any message that caused a message to be replied back to me. It just showed up & was advertising some local net.

I thought that was cool, but it got me wondering - how did I get this message? I noticed there was a group name attached to the message; it was not addressed directly to me.

As far as I know, my call is not in any APRS groups, but how would I even know that?

Because I received this message - am I a member of this group?

Last edited:

ve3zo

It sounds like a bulletin, especially if you only received it once or twice. Check to see if there is a "B" somewhere in the message. Usually before.

Hope that helps

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Ok, more info:

Menu Item 19 (MSG GROUP) = G1 ALL, so I'm not filtering anything.

As far as the "B" - the GRP is BLNA. What followed was the normal message text, no obvious "B"s.

As it turns out, it's NOT a local net. It's an Ohio District 3 ARES net, which is in the opposite corner of the state from me.

So I guess this is a bulletin that managed to digipeat its way to me?

Update: found it on APRS.FI. Thanks all!

Bulletins and announcements sent by stations within 500 km from your location
callsign ID message age
KA0AZS BLNA OH D3 ARES Net QRT 73 unitl next week. 12h38m

Status
Not open for further replies.