APRS Sats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoguy2

Just wondering. Are there any more APRS satellites other than the ISS? All the info I could find was from at least several years ago, and the bits I could find that were newer seemed to point to them all being dead.

Thanks!

Matt

n5ims

There are a few space (or near-space) missions that use APRS or have packet functionality on board.

Amateur Radio High Altitude Ballooning
Android in Near Space
California Near Space Project | Silicon Valley, California
Israeli high-school kids build life-saving satellite | The Times of Israel

Be aware that many of these are short duration flights (especially the balloon ones) and use low power transmitters (for longer battery life). APRS may also not be on the standard frequencies (therefor may not be sent to an iGate gateway) but there to help track and recover the equipment at the end of the flight.

photoguy2

Thanks. I did not know about the Israeli satellite. I was aware of the balloons, and such, I have actually launched several.

What I was interested in was if any of the APRS sats still work. The "Digi-peaters in the sky". You used to be able to get out a position report and message with just a HT. I'm a backpacker, so the idea of keeping a printout of passes, and being able to get a message/coordinates out without paying for a sat phone is appealing.

Matt

LtDoc

I wasn't aware that there were any satellites dedicated as a 'digipeater' for APRS. As for getting an emergency message of any kind out from a remote spot with a HT, I think you'd better re-think that a bit, it's very unlikely.
- 'Doc

photoguy2

I wasn't aware that there were any satellites dedicated as a 'digipeater' for APRS. As for getting an emergency message of any kind out from a remote spot with a HT, I think you'd better re-think that a bit, it's very unlikely.
- 'Doc
That's what I was checking. Their are not any left. 5-6 years ago there were like 4 or 5, and there was a pass that you could get a message out on every few hours. I believe that last one died in 2010.

Here is a link form 2009.
APRS via Satellite | APRS.NET.AU

Matt

EDIT: I did some more google-fu, and it appears that one is left (Sort of). NO-44 apparently works intermittently.
http://www.pe0sat.vgnet.nl/satellite/amateur-radio-satellites/no-44/

As for the rest, I knew that PCSAT-2 was recovered, and I can not find anything on the rest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.