APRS / SMS Gateway Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prdufresne

I've developed an application that allows amateur radio operators exchange text message between their APRS* radios or clients and SMS (cellular text messages). The gateway is in operation today but further development is required.

The application allows us to remove messaging barriers between APRS* and the SMS world. The most compelling use of this gateway is for emergency communications. Even when outside of cellular coverage, a VHF radio can usually reach an APRS* digipeater, allowing it to send and receive messages to cellular users.

For more information, visit: smsgte

VE3OTB
Paul

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Cool. Is there anything that needs to be done or installed on the users end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prdufresne

No, nothing to install. It's completely transparent to the hardware. Just read the instructions on how to use it, but basically, send the message to SMSGTE and include the phone number as the first word, or configure an alias.

D

DaveNF2G

Is there a barrier to ensure that unlicensed third parties are unable to originate traffic into the amateur service via this gateway?

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey!
There is a tool called "MWConn" the have the perfect connection between any UMTS Dongle and the Service behind: www.MWconn.info • Foren-Übersicht
I use it to restart the Server/ VPN Connection/ Modem if the Internet Connection failed.
If you get the source you can add the APRS System on top.

Prdufresne

There are barriers inherent in the way the system operates. First, the SMS number assigned to the gateway is unpublished. Only someone who has received an SMS message from the gateway would have the number. Having the number isn't enough, however as you must know the message format and a valid callsign to send the message to. The gateway also only responds to messages to a known destination callsign. In addition the message will only be gated to RF by an iGate which has recently heard the destination station. Otherwise, the message will never leave the APRS-IS network. It isn't really that different than an autopatch, only in text format rather than voice.

Examples:
A message sent without a valid callsign as the first word will be ignored (no response sent to the SMS user)
A message sent with a valid callsign that is unknown to the gateway will be ignored (you have to have used the gateway to receive from it)
A message sent to BLN or a group callsign will be ignored
A message sent to a valid callsign that is inactive (not recently heard by an iGate) will be sent to APRS-IS, but never sent to RF

The exception is when a conversation is active. If an APRS user has sent a message to an SMS device, replies from that device will be automatically addressed to the APRS user, the callsign does not need to be included. Conversations are kept for 30 minutes after the last message was sent.

Also, there's an additional function that is currently under development that will allow an APRS to enable privacy mode. When privacy is enabled, the user will only receive messages from SMS numbers they have configured as aliases. This allows the APRS user to control inbound messages destined to them. A facility for users to block numbers is also planned.

Last edited:

Prdufresne

My proof of concept used a UMTS dongle as the link to SMS, but subscription costs, and speed were a problem. Using an SMS gateway service was far more cost effective, allows me to get message deliver confirmation and makes the application far more portable.

Prdufresne

I updated the production code with the privacy mode, which allows a user to limit incoming SMS to those from numbers they have configured as aliases. I added a few other functions as well, including web management of aliases. Check the website for details.

W5BFF

Okay, I know the thread is a few months old, but I just started playing with this....

....VERY COOL!!!

I did find where your funding campaign has ended. Have you considered starting a GoFundMe site for continued donations??

Status
Not open for further replies.