APRS & SMSGATE (Yaesu FT-3DR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCalSearch

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased my first ham radio, a Yaesu FT-3DR. I'm reading and learning as much as possible. Last night I tried to test out SMSGATE using APRS. I had my modem set to 1200bps and followed the instructions on the website.

When I went to hit the M-TX, I get three beeps which is basically an error code. I'm on frequency 144.390 MHz. If I try going to 144.395 Mhz and hit the M-TX, it actually works.

Anyone have any idea what i am doing wrong?

Thank you

SoCalSearch

I believe to have figured this out. Looks like I wasn't fully locked onto GPS and it isn't sending.

Does anyone know how to test the strength of the GPS signal?

Thanks

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Page 31 of the Advance Manual ...once you have a solid satellite icon at the top and not flashing.

Activating the GPS function displays the following information on the LCD.
1. In the normal operation screen, press the [DISP] key. If the navigation screen is displayed, touch the compass display to switch to the GPS information screen

On that #4 area of the window, you will see the GPS satellite signals you are receiving as well as their signal level to your radio. ( The higher the bars and more of them the better )

* You just purchased a fantastic device. Why not spend the next week and read through the manuals, as time permits. You will enjoy your device even more as you understand all that it has to offer. Experiment and have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.