APRS software choice???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc5uta

Sorry to be beating a dead horse.....But I just got bitten by the APRS bug. I am looking for the most hassle free version of software. Dug through the other threads and did not quite find the answer I was looking for. I am not looking for a freebie, but that would be nice.
Problems...no internet connection at site to be used, so any maps would have to be updated via jumpdrive.
Equipment: Computer running windows 7 (plenty of memory and Hdrive space) connected to a ts-2000.
So far I have tried WinAPRS (unregistered) And might try UI-veiw, if I can get it setup.
The maps on winaprs leave a bit to be desired. Looking for experienced users opinions on functionality, and ease of hooking up weather station and or GPS ...Thanks ...Dave

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I've been using APRS since about 2004 and I've tried many of the programs available. Here are my thoughts:

UI-View -- Windows XP. Very full-featured. The author died a few years ago and his dying wish was that the source code be destroyed. As a result, there has been no further development of this program. The program is very well supported by the user community and the author had the foresight to make the program extensible so third-party programs can extend UI-View's functionality. That said, as Windows evolves, UI-View may no longer work with whatever the current version of Windows might be. Uses either static or dynamic (pan and zoom) maps, however, to get dynamic maps, you have to purchase a program called Precision Mapping from UnderTow Software. Before you try to use UI-View with any version of Windows after XP or with Precision Mapping, see Stephen Smith's web site.

WinAPRS -- Windows. No longer supported by the author. To the best of my knowledge, only uses static maps. Tried it once, then deleted it from my computer.

APRSpoint -- Windows. I used to say that this was the easiest APRS program for a new user to get up and running, but the author has all but abandoned this project, so I've backed off on my recommendation. Somewhat limited, but does the basic stuff. Uses map data from Microsoft Streets & Trips. The program used to ship with an old version of Streets & Trips map data, but I do not know if that's still the case nor do I know if it will work with the current data from S&T.

APRSISCE/32 -- Windows XP through 8. Currently and actively supported by the author and the community that has sprung up around it. Very full featured. Uses maps tiles downloaded from the Open Street Maps project or other sources of map tiles. The downside is that you have to be connected to the Internet to download the map tiles, but once you have them, you can disconnect from the Internet. Steep learning curve, but this is the program I am recommending these days. A friend who was an APRSpoint user is currently coming up to speed with APRSISCE/32 and he's making good progress with only a little coaching.

YAAC -- Yet Another APRS Client. A Java app that runs on Windows and other platforms. I don't have any experience with this program, but I've heard good things about it. Also uses Open Street Map maps.

PinPoint APRS -- New kid on the block. I haven't tried it, but it's getting good reviews. Downloads map tiles from various sources similar to APRSISCE/32.

XASTIR -- Linux. Tried it once on a Windows machine running a Linux shell, but didn't spend much time with it.

APRSDOS -- DOS, yes, I said DOS. The granddaddy of APRS clients. Written by Mr. APRS himself, Bob Bruninga WB4APR. Uses static maps. Does everything that Bob talks about in the APRS spec. Has features, like balloon altitude graphing, that the other programs still don't have.

There may be a few other niche products out there, but those are the biggies that I know about.

Last edited:

kc5uta

well dang! Glad I didn't drop 50 on winAPRS then. I have multi psk, but do not like their version at all. I will research APRSISCE/32 now. Thank you very much for your input!

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
APRSISCE/32 beats all other Windows software.. And I've used just about all of them.

kc5uta

next question...where do I get the maps?? *evil laugh** just downloaded the program. (not at home qth though)

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone used the RadioMobile Path finding software for APRS? Apparently you can setup your unit with PHG and dB loss, then it will tell you what repeaters are within range.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone used the RadioMobile Path finding software for APRS? Apparently you can setup your unit with PHG and dB loss, then it will tell you what repeaters are within range.

Can you post a link to what you found? The one I found has nothing to do with APRS.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
This is a link to the program site - Radio Mobile

You have to program in the repeaters and such, it's primarily used as a radio propagation mapping software, however in reading the handbook I remember seeing something about using APRS as well in the program when directly linked to a radio.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
From the manual I found in his link here: http://www3.telus.net/hendersb/documents/Radio Mobile.pdf
Automatic Packet Reporting System (APRS) is primarily an Amateur Radio
application where interactive packet data (transmit and receive) is stored to
indicate location of a receiver along a route or map. Map location data is shared
with all other operators who may be monitoring an APRS network.
Active units can be displayed on a map and shared with other users

So it apparently acts like most other APRS software, displaying the position of received packets.

This software, from what I have read, will show you the probable coverage of a system once you feed it your station info. But for APRS its use is limited.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
I have all of the HAM repeaters in Alberta programmed into mine, but haven't played with the APRS side of it. My goto APRS has to be APRSIS32. I just wish it was easier to edit the initialization of the D710 into APRS mode. It keeps changing my settings.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
So is there any Software who i can use w/o any Ham Callsign?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Your best bet would be Google Maps APRS and zoom in on your area. No callsign needed. It will show all APRS in the area you zoom in on that's been gated to the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.