APRS Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone running APRS?

I want to get an old KAM Plus TNC working to mess with a TinyTrak3 I bought. Most of the software I've been looking at is way old and won't work on an XP machine or the link to the download has 404'd. Obviously I'm not looking in the right places since some people still run the stuff.

So, if you're running APRS, what are you using for software and where did you get it from?

It doesn't have to be freeware as long as it works. I'd also like to get good quality mapping out of it.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You mentioned the KAM Plus and then you mentioned the TinyTrak3, so I'm not sure what you are planning to do.

Your TT3 will do APRS out of the box. Connect it to a 2m radio tuned to 144.390MHz and a GPS receiver. Configure the TT3 with your call sign, the appropriate APRS path (most likely WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1), and a beacon rate. Assuming the TT3 sees your GPS, it should start beaconing your position. If you are near an IGate or near a digipeater that can be heard by an IGate, you should be able to go to Google Maps APRS and find your beacons on the map.

If you would like to run an APRS client program connected to your KAM so you can see what the TT3 is doing, my suggestion would be to try APRSPoint (APRSPoint). It doesn't have all the whistles and bells that other APRS client programs have, but it will get you started. The best Windows APRS client, in my opinion, is still UI-View. Even though develop was frozen a few years ago when the author died, it still has lots of features and it's well supported by the user community.

K

kb0nly

Screw APRSPoint, Expensive as heck and doesn't do squat...

Get the old but FREE and still standard of APRS mapping. UI-View.

M0CYP UI-View Web Resource

Request a registration and install it. Also get the map server from PA7RHM for real time maps from the internet, requires an internet connection of course.

Welcome to the homepage of Chris van Gorp

Click on downloads on the left side then get the latest version of MapServer from the list.

I tried to use APRSPoint for about a month, yeah it works if you wanna pay for it. The free trial won't let you use a TNC or internet, basically just look at the program and thats it. Its a horribly expensive program considering it does nothing in the paid version other than map stations heard, no digipeater or igate function. Sucks..

AK9R

Super Moderator
Scott, you are, of course, entitled to your opinion. The reason I suggest APRSpoint for new users is that it's easy to set up and the mapping is built into the program instead of requiring setting up another program or doing a lot of downloads. Since the user interface is familiar to Windows users, that helps get them up to speed with the program.

Yes, the free version doesn't have much functionality. The author's position on this is debatable, but you take it up with him.

Yes, the paid version is "expensive". Michael charges $77 for a version that includes Microsoft MapPoint or $47 if you already have MapPoint. Compare that to UI-View, which is free except for the requested donation to a cancer charity in honor of the author. Your suggestion to use the PA7RHM map server requires that you have a full-time connection to the Internet or that you have the foresight to download the maps you need ahead of time. To get standalone pan and zoom maps with UI-View, you have to use the PMapServer with Precision Mapping from Undertow Software and that's $50.

Yes, there are things that APRSpoint won't do, but most new users just want to see themselves and others on a map and that's what APRSpoint does quite well. In addition, it lets you use the MapPoint tools to plot a route to one of those APRS positions.

I've used both APRSpoint and UI-View, however I use UI-View most of the time.

K

kb0nly

My biggest gripe on APRSPoint is why didnt he at least have the TNC functionality available in the trial?? Its like teasing you with a candy bar then making you watch while i eat it in front of you. I don't know about anyone else here but i won't spend $77 on a program without at least getting to test drive its full functionality first!! Bad business practice, thats like saying if you want it pay me $77 and your stuck with it even if you dont like it once you have the ability to test it.

Yes you need an internet connection for UI-View and the map server, but if your using it at home thats no real big problem, if you want to use it mobile you can get an aircard for cheaper than you can get precision mapping from most wireless providers, might as well make it an excuse for portable internet if thats what you need. I know a few guys that use aircards from Verizon with mobile laptops, works with their existing unlimited data plan and got the usb or expresscard adapter from Verizon on a rebate for like $40.

However if your always in a particular area just save a few map views while connected to the internet at home and your good to go as well.

If you want the ultimate in portability, mapping, and all in one small package get what i have mobile, a Garmin Nuvi 350 with an Opentracker 2, i can view aprs activity, send and receive messages, and have zoomable maps, you can also pan around, and you also have a navigation device at the same time, simple click and navigate to any object on the map as well. I also have mine hooked into the stereo in the mobile for the MP3 player function, and it can do everything at once!!

AK9R

Super Moderator
...if you want to use it mobile you can get an aircard for cheaper than you can get precision mapping from most wireless providers, might as well make it an excuse for portable internet if thats what you need.
If you have an air card and an Internet connection, might as well use the aprs.fi web site and avoid using any software except your web browser.
If you want the ultimate in portability, mapping, and all in one small package get what i have mobile, a Garmin Nuvi 350 with an Opentracker 2...
Yep.

K

kb0nly

If you have an air card and an Internet connection, might as well use the aprs.fi web site and avoid using any software except your web browser.

I wouldn't rely on aprs.fi if you want real time monitoring of local traffic and reports. I have seen lag times of 10-30 minutes on aprs.fi and also if an igate never heard the packet and relayed it to the internet then your not going to know watching the internet only.

Another cheap option here is an Opentracker+ with KISS firmware installed, works like a TNC with UI-View or any other program. I have setup that before as well, UI-View did everything for me, hook up a GPS receiver and an Opentracker+ to the computer, i used a USB to dual serial port adapter based on an FTDI chipset and it worked like a charm, and then UI-View reports your position if your mobile like a tracker and also gives you real time display. Second best to using a Garmin Nuvi mobile.

If your going to use it stationary you don't need a GPS on the computer though, just set your location in the setup and connect to the OT+. Make sure if you do this that you go into the KISS setup and clear all the lefthand boxes and just put a number zero in the Exit box, if you don't UI-View will hang when trying to close it with the OT+ connected. Learned that after a lot of troubleshooting.

As the OP can see there is a LOT of options out there for APRS!! Get on it, a fun addition to the hobby. If there isn't adequate coverage in your area consider being an Igate or Digi as well!

LtDoc

Using that KAM is certainly possible. The software side of that can be a really complicated experience depending on your electronics knowledge and how much you like building your own interfaces. Dabble in that as you desire.
I have used both 'UI-View' and 'APRSPoint', I sort of lean toward the 'UI-View' for general use. It can certainly be a PITA to set up correctly. Neither are cheap, the mapping programs are the biggies in that. If you use either, I think you would be ahead in the long run just spending what it takes.
I've found 'APRS.fi' to be a 'slow' way of doing things. It depends on your internet connections, and will never be really 'real time'. It will depend on your access to an 'Igate', which is probably at least one of the biggies! If you're not heard, you won't be displayed.
That "You get what you pay for" is true, but nothing says you can't be a little 'frugal' about it, you know? (Just a 'nice' way of saying 'cheap'.)
Hope you enjoy fixing "problems"! :)
- 'Doc

Thank you, everyone! I value your opinions. I ended up doing a lot of followup on the matter, but I'm just starting to learn.

Point by point - The TinyTrak3 is part of Byon's frequency agile tracker. I love that thing. It's sooo simple to work with and program. The KAMplus is something I've had in the closet that I bought back in the 90s and lost interest in (I've got a KPC2 that I bought in 1986, too). To make a very long story short, I don't appear to be in range of any iGates. For the past week, I've been running a digi in WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1 configuration so that it can pick up the TT3 and send it to the network for FindU and APRS.fi. The TT3 has been digipeated out to systems 60+ miles out; sporadic at best. Faster position reports eat up a lot of airtime and there would be a lot of collissions, so with the digi, I don't see that as a long-term solution. I discontinued doing that today.

Looking at the many websites is confusing, so the suggestions here have helped a great deal. I've found broken links, 404s, and really old stuff that's optimized for earlier Windows.

Today, I downloaded a Debian build of Xastir and got it running on Meerkat. Nifty, but the map sucks. When I have more time, I have some shapefiles that I downloaded and converted to unprojected L/L. Maybe I can get that into Xastir. I also tried to use the iGate function, but have been overwhelmed with inbound traffic. I haven't seen anything go through from my tracker or digi to Findu or the Finland site. I probably have something configured wrong.

Ultimately, the digi's down (receive only) and I'm watching the tracker on the local display, not through the iGate. I'd like to get the iGate running. Once I do that and it seems to be reliable, I'll turn the transmitter back on and put a better antenna up.

One piece at a time. Thanks, guys!

smason

Hope you don't mind me digging up an old thread, but hey, it proves I searched and read up, before asking questions :)

I'm thinking of playing with APRS, never having done it before. I have an old 80's AEA PK232 but will probably use a tinytrack 4 just for size/portability.

Great info on software, just what I was looking for.
I hope to use something with decent maps. I find the google maps on openaprs and aprs.fi a bit of apain. always zooming in, and hard to read callsigns on it.

Being in Canada, map data is hard to come by and can be expensive. Any Canadians care to weigh-in on the subject? I think I have a copy of Mappoint kicking around somewhere, may try that too.

n5ims

Hope you don't mind me digging up an old thread, but hey, it proves I searched and read up, before asking questions :)

I'm thinking of playing with APRS, never having done it before. I have an old 80's AEA PK232 but will probably use a tinytrack 4 just for size/portability.

Great info on software, just what I was looking for.
I hope to use something with decent maps. I find the google maps on openaprs and aprs.fi a bit of apain. always zooming in, and hard to read callsigns on it.

Being in Canada, map data is hard to come by and can be expensive. Any Canadians care to weigh-in on the subject? I think I have a copy of Mappoint kicking around somewhere, may try that too.

You can try the gold standard APRS software UI-View APRS Client for Windows - Official UI-View Home Page and then get the PMapServer7 software to interface with the commercial software "Undertow Software's Precision Mapping 7" (link for both on the UI-View page). There is also some static maps that may work for you as well with links also on the UI-View page.

Some additional maps or tools to prepare your own maps for UI-View are in these links:
APRS Maps for UI-View
UI-View32 Map Software including PMapServer7
Kingston Amateur Radio Club - APRS - Maps

Also recommend googling "UI-View Maps" with any areas you're specifically interested in to see if there are better ones that cover your area.

LtDoc

You might also take a look at 'APRSIS32', and the 'AGWTracker' programs. I started with 'UI-View' and have become used to it's way of displaying information, I like it. It's also probably one of the hardest things to get going correctly. You can almost count on having to buy a mapping program for it, and 'PrecisionMapping' is very nice, but not cheap. The 'APRESIS32' is the easiest one to set up that I've found yet. It isn't 'perfect', I wish there were a couple of things that were different, but it certainly works. I've just gotten the 'AGWTracker' program, not up and running yet. It's interesting because it can use several kinds of maps and mapping programs.
Lot's of possibilities! I think it's fun, your opinion may be different...
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.