APRS XP software with TNC in client

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyHam

Hello,

New technician looking to get started with APRS. I have a HT and want to just start with client software in XP (or Mac) where I can connect the HT to the laptop via the mic and speaker pins on the HT.

I want to just watch (decode) local APRS transmissions and then transmit a few of my own.

Once I get comfortable with that I will research and buy a small TNC that I can use with a GPS and M=my HT when mobile and at home.

Suggestions for the software greatly appreciated.

Eric
KK4MWM
Kenwood TH-F6A

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You can avoid having to buy a TNC by using one of the sound card packet programs. AGWPE is the most popular, but the UZ7HO program is reported easier to use. You can find information about these programs here:

Introduction - Sound Card Packet

and here:

UZ7HO Personal page - Packet-Radio - English version

As for APRS client programs, I'm using APRSISCE/32. It interfaces well with a wide variety of TNCs, real and virtual, and APRS radios and it uses OpenStreet Map maps that you download from the Internet which solves the mapping problem that many other APRS clients have. Here's the link:

Welcome to APRSISCE/32 - APRSISCE/32 The future of Amateur Radio APRS

DaddyHam

So I built a cable from my HT spr out to line in and installed UZ7HO
I set it up for VHF x.25
I can occasionally see noise/transmission on the waterfall display but UZ7HO does not decode the contents. If I press monitor key I can see a continuous waterfall display of noise.

This all with a mac running vmware and XP. Tonight I'll try it on just a XP laptop I have, Also I can't hear the transmissions on the laptop. It would be nice to hear them so I can make sure the volume is set okay.

But I do get some waterfalls. Also when I just listen on the HT we get 2 to 3 transmissions in s row mostly. I think this is the local digipeaters relaying the message. I can see this on the waterfall as well.

Eric
KK4MWM

Status
Not open for further replies.