APRSdroid - should I use a radio with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilyWolf

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I just got the APRS droid app to use with an HT while cycling but than saw it could just go straight to the web over an internet or 3g connection and kinda ditched the whole HT plan.

Should I use the radio to transmit the packets? Theres only one gateway digipeater in my area blocked in a lot of area by the mountain.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
If you use a radio the stations that are radio only will be able to see you. Otherwise only stations with internet access will see you.

There are plenty of small APRS encoders you could use.. Byonics has the TinyTrak 3 and 4.. And if you search the web you will find others (I'm sure others will come by with more names)

An HT, Tiny Track, and a small puck GPS, hooked to a small gel cell 12v battery will get you on the air easily and won't be terribly expensive. IF there are digipeaters within range that you can hit on your ride.

EmilyWolf

Banned
If you use a radio the stations that are radio only will be able to see you. Otherwise only stations with internet access will see you.

There are plenty of small APRS encoders you could use.. Byonics has the TinyTrak 3 and 4.. And if you search the web you will find others (I'm sure others will come by with more names)

An HT, Tiny Track, and a small puck GPS, hooked to a small gel cell 12v battery will get you on the air easily and won't be terribly expensive. IF there are digipeaters within range that you can hit on your ride.

Ah that must explain why I can't see others on the map thanks. I'll look into it after my 14.5 inch whip comes in the mail.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Have you gotten the proper code to sign into the APRSIS system? Look in the instructions if not.

If you have, and still don't see stations, there may not be an APRS Igate in your area. This station sends whatever it hears to the APRSIS internet system. Without one in the general vicinity, APRSDroid has nothing to show. Try Zooming out until you see stations.. Look for Green Stars with a letter or number in the center. Those are Digipeaters, and their coverage will vary. Igates can be trickier to spot, as any station can be an Igate and not advertise it.

Also, try looking at Google Maps APRS and scroll/zoom to your area. It will show the same stations your APRSDroid will, as it only displays what's sent to APRSIS by Igates or stations that are Internet only such as your phone.

EmilyWolf

Banned
Have you gotten the proper code to sign into the APRSIS system? Look in the instructions if not.

If you have, and still don't see stations, there may not be an APRS Igate in your area. This station sends whatever it hears to the APRSIS internet system. Without one in the general vicinity, APRSDroid has nothing to show. Try Zooming out until you see stations.. Look for Green Stars with a letter or number in the center. Those are Digipeaters, and their coverage will vary. Igates can be trickier to spot, as any station can be an Igate and not advertise it.

Also, try looking at Google Maps APRS and scroll/zoom to your area. It will show the same stations your APRSDroid will, as it only displays what's sent to APRSIS by Igates or stations that are Internet only such as your phone.

Yes the app developer gave me an APRS-IS passcode to use and it works. I can see my paths on aprs.fi.

The app shows the others users near me on the HUB sections as well as their transmitted packets on the log section of aprs droid but they dont seem to show up on the map.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I'll have to poke at APRSDroid and see what I can find out. I have it on my phone, but hardly use it as I have APRS in the car, and house.

yo3fvr

Using APRSdroid over Internet is more practical and easy, especialy when you walk, run or ride on the bike. But, using over radio is more fun ;-) And, sometime, realy useful, when Internet is not available. Best 73!

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Poked around a bit tonight with APRSDroid. It didn't show my car, which I was in, and has APRS on whenever I'm moving, or my digi, which is always on..

Not sure about display options, will do more playing and see what I can find.

EmilyWolf

Banned
Yeah its odd. When your on the map and tracking is on try bringing up the menu and select "show last" when i set it to "2 days" it showed some stations.

At least on the bright side it shows my path on aprs.fi so I can put it in my pocket and still use my ht to talk on the repeater.

yo3fvr

and has APRS on whenever I'm moving

It is correct, depending on your location settings. You have the possibility to set the minimum update time and minimum update distance. Also, the GPS precision setting affect the frequency which the APRS send info to network.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
At least on the bright side it shows my path on aprs.fi so I can put it in my pocket and still use my ht to talk on the repeater.

Just keep in mind the amount of battery life used, and the data stream. (The data is not that high, but if you have a limited data plan, it could use up what you have.

Sent via Tapatalk

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I bought a Kenwood TH-D72, so I could beacon and talk, with one radio.

OP, have you set up your own digi? That might give the coverage needed, especially if you set it up as an igate.

Sent via Tapatalk

EmilyWolf

Banned
I bought a Kenwood TH-D72, so I could beacon and talk, with one radio.

OP, have you set up your own digi? That might give the coverage needed, especially if you set it up as an igate.

Sent via Tapatalk

Was wanting to, than the coverage would be spotless. How do I do it?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Radio, antenna, TNC and an APRS program. For Windows I recommend APRSIS32. It can act as Digipeater and Igate.

There are other ways to set up a digipeater stand alone, but for most home users this is the way to go. You can use it for messaging, digipeating, and Igate all at the same time.

If you already have a WIDE digipeater (Green Star usually) in your area, I'd recommend sticking with a WIDE1-1 fill in digipeater.. Especially if you're close to the wide digipeater.

*EDIT*
Just looked at your area on APRS.FI.. Might want to contact one or two other APRS ops and see what is needed out there. Looks like a WIDE1-1 would fit in nicely.. There's an Igate east of you (AG6JU-10) but I don't see a lot of digipeaters..

Last edited:

EmilyWolf

Banned
Radio, antenna, TNC and an APRS program. For Windows I recommend APRSIS32. It can act as Digipeater and Igate.

There are other ways to set up a digipeater stand alone, but for most home users this is the way to go. You can use it for messaging, digipeating, and Igate all at the same time.

If you already have a WIDE digipeater (Green Star usually) in your area, I'd recommend sticking with a WIDE1-1 fill in digipeater.. Especially if you're close to the wide digipeater.

*EDIT*
Just looked at your area on APRS.FI.. Might want to contact one or two other APRS ops and see what is needed out there. Looks like a WIDE1-1 would fit in nicely.. There's an Igate east of you (AG6JU-10) but I don't see a lot of digipeaters..

Yeah fill in was the plan. I'm talking about it now on the local 70cm. Any good ideas for a linux client? It would be nice to run it of a raspberry pi microcomputer.

Status
Not open for further replies.