• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX 4000 Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

ll35689k

Premium Subscriber
We have a APX4000 and by default whenever it is turned on it defaults the volume to 12. Is there a way to default it to 15 (the highest)? I have looked in the radio profiles but all I see is Max and Min volume.
The radio volume does not appear to be as loud as the APX6000's, are there any recommendations for settings you would recommend to get better volume?
Thanks

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
We have a APX4000 and by default whenever it is turned on it defaults the volume to 12. Is there a way to default it to 15 (the highest)? I have looked in the radio profiles but all I see is Max and Min volume.
The radio volume does not appear to be as loud as the APX6000's, are there any recommendations for settings you would recommend to get better volume?
Thanks

Do you have the “Surveillance” profile selected under your channels? Under radio wide you should be able to set the maximum audio volume.

Last edited:

ll35689k

Premium Subscriber
I will try upping the maximum audio volume to get it louder. But is there a way to increase the default power on volume?

NVAGVUP

Feed Provider
Up your minimum audio volume.

Radio Profile>Default (Or whatever profile you are using)>Speaker/RX Settings

NVAGVUP

Feed Provider
My apologies. I reread what you wrote. It appears as if you are looking to increase the max volume from an APX4000.

The APX4000 has 1/2 watt of rated RX audio output. APX600AN has 1/2 watt of rated RX audio output. APX6000BN has 1 watt of rated RX audio output. APX6000XE (Current production) has 3 watts of RX rated audio output.

I put a RSM on an APX4000 and I was blown away with audio performance. If you are looking for an improvement, I would suggest a higher end RSM. (Not the entry level lapel mic) I don't think you can get anymore audio from local speaker.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Not an ASTRO guy, but in MOTOTRBO we have several different Audio profiles that allow the user to concentrate the audio power into a specific frequency band. Having working in high noise environments, I prefer Treble Boost which amps up the higher audio frequencies. Does the APX4k have anything like that? TT

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The 4000's SPL sucks. It is better when used with an APX XP RSM though. We have around 200 of these in service, mostly by animal service officers, building security, and 911 staff. The ASO's are using them with XP RSM's (NMN6274A's) and they have no issues with the RX audio thru the RSMs but without them they complain they can't hear the radio outside on the side of the street.

We got stuck with AN 6000's and they also have low rent audio but do very well with the XP RSM. The RSMs are not cheap, but the 6274's are by far the best RSMs we've bought for our APX radios (we have close to 2000, mix of 6000ANs, 4000s, 8000s, 8000XEs and a few 7000s). The failure rate on them has been very low. All of our mikes were bought with our radio purchase in 2016 and I've only replaced around 3 due to failure.

NVAGVUP

Feed Provider
TT- Not a MotoTRBO guy, but yes you can tweak the RX audio performance via Radio Profile. (The best way to do this is via "Expert View" as it allows you to see all fields)

60ASSTCHIEF

The 4000's SPL sucks. It is better when used with an APX XP RSM though. We have around 200 of these in service, mostly by animal service officers, building security, and 911 staff. The ASO's are using them with XP RSM's (NMN6274A's) and they have no issues with the RX audio thru the RSMs but without them they complain they can't hear the radio outside on the side of the street.

We got stuck with AN 6000's and they also have low rent audio but do very well with the XP RSM. The RSMs are not cheap, but the 6274's are by far the best RSMs we've bought for our APX radios (we have close to 2000, mix of 6000ANs, 4000s, 8000s, 8000XEs and a few 7000s). The failure rate on them has been very low. All of our mikes were bought with our radio purchase in 2016 and I've only replaced around 3 due to failure.

The XP mics are awesome. We just got a few of the XE500 mics. All I can say is WOW. Louder than the XP mics. And the TX audio is phenomenal. I’m sure due to the 5 different mics built in to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.