• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX 6000 Antenna question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCHLLM

Back in the day when the Motorola VISAR was current, there were 5+ inch VHF antennas that were available in 3 VHF freq ranges between 138 and 178 MHz, and they are still available. These are Motorola branded parts (at least they appear to be, for whatever that's worth in these times) and best of all, they are NOT the ~4+ inch flat top signal attenuator stubbies.

I have been using these for years and find that I really can't detect any real world difference between the Moto~7 inch antenna, the Moto XTS wideband antennas, and the VISAR 5 inchers on my XTS and APX VHF portables. I'm sure differences would be detectable with the proper extremely expensive complex setup and test gear, but as an old Moto tech and long term user of these antennas, I say it's a wash as long as you pick the correct range for your particular VHF TX application.

RX performance seems to be indistinguishable in all three from 140 thru 174 MHz.

I get them from Wiscomm (shopwiscomm.com) and 2wayradioparts.com (Motorola Visar Radio Parts, batteries, chargers and Antennas). Look for Visar Radio Parts. Scroll down to the last Visar antennas and you'll find the three ranges listed:
8505834W01 136 - 150.8
8505834W02 150.8 - 178
8505834W03 162 - 178

Last edited:

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
EM Wave EM-P90918-SF

These are similar if not same thing the wildland bk long whip vhf are using.

I believe some dealers are on back order.

There is another that is high gain but I dont recall part or name. I'll try to find that one and both seem to work very well specially the other one.

If I find the part number in the pile of filed papers I'll throw that here also.

Just keep in mind the EM wave is approx 11 inches to 12 inches so on a apx if you think all band apx is a pit buster you ain't ever used a EM wave but it does work.

ezap

Here's an actual photo of the radio with the face plate removed, showing just the sides sitting against the chassis. The face plate drops into the notches while you hold the side pieces in place (put the GCAI dust cover on to keep that side firm), then flip the radio over and replace the screws. Once everything is buttoned up it's pretty solid. Maybe not quite as stiff as the 1 piece would be, understandably so, but with the battery in place there are no issues.

The vacuum purge procedure is not used to make the radio watertight, it's used to test the seals, notably on the R models. As long as the seals are all intact and you're careful with the disassembly/reassembly, there shouldn't be any issues. Note that only the R models are rated for submergiblity.

View attachment 83291
How tight do the screws have to be? Should they be torqued down or not?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
How tight do the screws have to be? Should they be torqued down or not?
Snug, but not cranked down. You're screwing them into plastic, ultimately, so use common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.