• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX APX 6000 UHF Conventional inquiry

umairmoh

Greetings good people,

A friend of mine has been asking me to post a question here to get some knowledge. He picked up an APX6000-UHF has programmed his local HAM frequencies as well as local Fire Departments that still operate UHF to listen to radio traffic where he lives. He is able to hit one of the 2 FDs. The one he can hear is further away from his place of residence and the FD that is close to his place, he is unable to hear, despite having the tones and frequency set properly.

Any insight or reason(s) on this with the folks know the APX would greatly be appreciated.

p.s. The unit has ASTRO and can do trunking (I am not familiar w/ the system, so apologies in advance). I told him to stay out of trouble so trouble can stay out of his way if he has no idea what to do or risk a big boo boo.

umairmoh

So he is able to hear the following that is further away from his house:

1668972727968.png

However, he is NOT able to hear the following, which is closer to where he lives:

1668972798096.png

If it helps any, this is in Houston, Texas

umairmoh

Are you sure 460.250 isn’t all NXDN now?
Good question, it might be. He used R.R. to plug in the frequency. I know in Fort Bend, where I live there were very few FDs using VHF and just recently R.R. updated showing the few FDs have migrated to P25.

umairmoh

I was just thinking, these APX UHF only version are only good for GMRS and HAM bands pretty much in a nutshell. Just speaking my mind.

WRTF671

Premium Subscriber
I was just thinking, these APX UHF only version are only good for GMRS and HAM bands pretty much in a nutshell. Just speaking my mind.
I'm starting to feel the same way. I have an SRX 2200 that I've come to the conclusion is the worlds most expensive GMRS radio... All the HAMs in my area seem to be on VHF and the public safety is either VHF or R2.

As far as your friend's issue, it's possible they've gone digital or perhaps theres an issue in the codeplug. Double check DPL and Rx freq just to be sure.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Your friend really needs to buy a scanner, it looks like a bunch of related frequencies used by this agency are NXDN conventional, the one in question could be as well, but not yet updated in the DB.

So tell your friend to start saving up for the SDS 100 or 200, he will at minimum need the NXDN upgrade and probably DMR as well. Alternatively he could get a few RTL SDR dongles and DSD+ Fastlane, this option requires a computer but is a lot cheaper.

EWC_BDN

If he's just monitoring, can't he just have it as instead. Then he would hear it if it was NXDN (hear but not understand it ofc)