• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX APX 7000 Audio Question

jnasium21

Hi all,
I recently purchased an APX 7000 from a friend who upgraded to an 8000, and noticed that when I receive a conventional P25 transmission, there is a slight "pop" sound when the radio begins the audio. On my XTS/XTL radios, on the same P25 channel, I do not get that "pop" sound. Am I just overlooking a simple setting in CPS?

Any help is appreciated!

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Hi all,
I recently purchased an APX 7000 from a friend who upgraded to an 8000, and noticed that when I receive a conventional P25 transmission, there is a slight "pop" sound when the radio begins the audio. On my XTS/XTL radios, on the same P25 channel, I do not get that "pop" sound. Am I just overlooking a simple setting in CPS?

Any help is appreciated!
My 12 year old 7000 pops as well.

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Been a problem since Day 1. Both my 7k and 7kXE pop when the audio opens.

It's a hardware design problem with no fix in CPS.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's the audio amp kicking on, well known quirk. If it really annoys you that much, buy a cheap speaker mic and connect it to the radio, that gets rid of the issue. Bonus...if it's a dual display model, you can position the speaker mic facing you while also having the display facing you.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I agree with the others, it got to the point where I never even notice it anymore.

I can remember somebody sending it in for repair because it bothered them so much and they got it back and it was still there.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
It's the audio amp kicking on, well known quirk. If it really annoys you that much, buy a cheap speaker mic and connect it to the radio, that gets rid of the issue. Bonus...if it's a dual display model, you can position the speaker mic facing you while also having the display facing you.

I was sooo glad to upgrade from my 7000 to my 8000XE as I need to keep my radio on while on call and that audio amp kicking in annoyed me to no end. Still have the 7000 but don't use it much because of that damn popping noise.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Interestingly I was sent 2 from Plantation around 2012 or so (no tags, S/N or escutcheon) for some testing and neither of those did it.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Anybody try filtering it out, like a cap in series? I've got a CCR that pops I think as the squelch closes that I've been meaning to try to mod.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Not as if it matters but, the apx 7000 is no longer supported. You have what you have.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Not as if it matters but, the apx 7000 is no longer supported. You have what you have.
That's not entirely accurate. The VHF and 7/800 7000/7000XE models are supported until December 2023. It was the UHF models that were no longer supported as of 2021.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
That's not entirely accurate. The VHF and 7/800 7000/7000XE models are supported until December 2023. It was the UHF models that were no longer supported as of 2021.
New news to me, I have, 7 - 800 MHz and uhf 2. Appreciate the accurate update.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I actually get that.😀 Very little has changed in my monitoring life, everything is pretty much the same and most of it is encrypted.