• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX 7000 FPP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Is there any limit to how many channels can be configured as FPP in the APX 7000? For example, I think I read somewhere that the APX 7000 will hold 3000 conventional channels, can all of them be configured for FPP?

wmetech1

Premium Subscriber
I think the limit you'd reach is number of personalities, as you need a personality for each FPP conventional channel. (i.e. 32 FPP channels = 32 personalities). I believe this limit is 255 personalities, but I'll have to double check.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I think the limit you'd reach is number of personalities, as you need a personality for each FPP conventional channel. (i.e. 32 FPP channels = 32 personalities). I believe this limit is 255 personalities, but I'll have to double check.

While the above was true in the XTS series of radios it is no longer accurate when it comes to APX radios. I believe there is a limit of 200 conventional personalities but each of those personalities can have up to the 3000 channel total limit in the radio. Thank goodness Moto fixed the limitations of the XTS (and earlier) series of radios.
To sum up: You could have 3000 FPP channels in one zone if you really wanted to in the APX series of radios :)

Marshall KE4ZNR

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
There is often a difference between believing and knowing. ;)

The APX 7000 has a maximum limit of 3000 channels. Within that limitation:

- A maximum of 255 conventional personalities
- A maximum of 1250 frequencies per conventional personality

- A maximum of 200 zones
- A maximum of 625 channels per zone

Once you start to hit channel limits, the CPS will also prevent you from creating new personalities and/or zones.

So for example, the most you could squeeze into the least amount of space would be:

- 3 conventional personalities of 1250+1250+500 channels each
- 5 zones of 625+625+625+625+500 channels each

You could not have "3000 FPP channels in one zone if you really wanted to", however.

And yes, they can all be FPP if you wish (FPP is enabled per zone, not per channel)

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the clarification :)
I think we can all agree that FPP on the APX is light years ahead of past radios.
Marshall KE4ZNR

- A maximum of 200 zones

Once you start to hit channel limits, the CPS will also prevent you from creating new personalities and/or zones.

So for example, the most you could squeeze into the least amount of space would be:

You could not have "3000 FPP channels in one zone if you really wanted to", however.

And yes, they can all be FPP if you wish (FPP is enabled per zone, not per channel)

wmetech1

Premium Subscriber

Indeed. I stand corrected. The few implementations I've seen of FPP on APX radios have been the same as the way we had to do it on ASTRO radios, and I never bothered to try anything else. Good to know!

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Really, the only snag with FPP in the APX radios is that a zone cannot be FPP enabled (for the sake of its conventional members) if it has trunked system members in the zone (has to be a conventional-only zone).. other than that, the world is your oyster. Light years ahead of the XTS FPP is definitely the right term.

JASII

Memory Capacity
And, with regards to channel scanning on conventional channels, is they any way to scan more than 30? I guess I actual monitor 31 channels by scanning 30 channels and then selecting a channel that is not in the scan list.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
30 conventional channels is the maximum per scan list. As you said, you could do 30+1 if the priority is Selected Channel and that channel is not taking up a spot in the scan list.

TDHG4U61

Premium Subscriber

- A maximum of 200 zones

Hello, not a FPP question but you pointed out something here that I am stuck. My APX-8000 can do the same as above. My question is, are the frequencies in a personality set aside for trunking tower sites?. In a conventional personality, how can I manually access these conventional frequencies individually or is there a shortcut key in a menu, some trick.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Hello, not a FPP question but you pointed out something here that I am stuck. My APX-8000 can do the same as above. My question is, are the frequencies in a personality set aside for trunking tower sites?. In a conventional personality, how can I manually access these conventional frequencies individually or is there a shortcut key in a menu, some trick.

Are you asking about mixing trunking modes and conventional in the same zone? If so you cannot do that. All of the modes in the zone must be conventional in order to maintain FPP in that particular zone.

TDHG4U61

Premium Subscriber
Not trunking in conventional mode. I clicked the (plus) to add 16 conventional frequencies within one personality entry. I am just trying to figure out now how to access them to monitor.

TDHG4U61

Premium Subscriber
I figured it out after four hours of trying, sorry about that.I did not understand I had to copy them to a separate zone. Trial and error.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
This is why I tell people about the "CPS Triangle":

8ETXZEy.jpg

You change one of the above you have to check the other 2 as they are all dependent on each other.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.