• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX 7000 multi band capability

Status
Not open for further replies.

n6wzl

I know this thread is somewhat outdated, but here's my two cent's worth.

As far as I can tell, APX 7000 is a quad band radio. Here are my reasoning.

1. The radio's description says that it is a "multi band" radio, not a dual band radio
2. Unlike XTS series or other previous models, APX 7000 has only one model number, H49TGD9PW1AN, regardless of which band combination the radio may have.
3. Depot version of the CPS allows creation of a codeplug in any combination of the four. In theory, which I have not tried yet, the radio can even do U1 and U2 combo, allowing transmission from 380Mhz all the way to 520Mhz.

What this means is that any combination of the four bands it offers, mainly VHF, UHF1, UHF2 and 7/800Mhz, can be progammed into the radio. As far as I understand, all you need after rebanding it (without physical modification to or replacment of any of its boards) is to replace its antenna for the right band combination.

I welcome any comments.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
You do realize that to change bands you need to change out the RF section?

n6wzl

Sorry, my message may be somewhat misleading. I have not read the technical manual or physically opened up the radio to verify my claims. But, why only one model number if different RF boards are installed for different combination of bands each radio supposedly covers?

SCPD

QRT
The flashcode determines the available bands not the model number.

The flashcode, along with the hardware inside, determines the available bands, just to be precise.

funnyweed.gif

n6wzl

I stand corrected. Apparently, the following are different boards for APX 7000. I still don't know why M didn't differenciate radios with different RF boards by identifying them with combination specific model numbers, rather than having just one model number... It sure confused me.

MNUR4001_ - Assembly, RF Board - ASTRO APX 7000 700–800 MHz and VHF
MNUS4000_ - Assembly, RF Board - ASTRO APX 7000 700–800 MHz and UHF1
MNUS4002_ - Assembly, RF Board - ASTRO APX 7000 700–800 MHz and UHF2
MNUT4000_ - Assembly, RF Board - ASTRO APX 7000 UHF1 and VHF
MNUT4004_ - Assembly, RF Board - ASTRO APX 7000 UHF2 and VHF

KM4WLV

I stand corrected. Apparently, the following are different boards for APX 7000. I still don't know why M didn't differenciate radios with different RF boards by identifying them with combination specific model numbers, rather than having just one model number... It sure confused me.

MNUR4001_ - Assembly, RF Board - ASTRO APX 7000 700–800 MHz and VHF
MNUS4000_ - Assembly, RF Board - ASTRO APX 7000 700–800 MHz and UHF1
MNUS4002_ - Assembly, RF Board - ASTRO APX 7000 700–800 MHz and UHF2
MNUT4000_ - Assembly, RF Board - ASTRO APX 7000 UHF1 and VHF
MNUT4004_ - Assembly, RF Board - ASTRO APX 7000 UHF2 and VHF

It's understandable. Next time you may want to do a bit more research, or make your wording a bit different if you're expressing an opinion or something to that effect. Unfortunately we have board members that look for threads like this just so they can rip you apart trying to make themselves look smarter.

With that being said I can see your point. I'm a huge Motorola fan. I've got 5 Motorola mobiles in my vehicle and 3 portables beside me as I type this. But I've always been a Kenwood fan as well because base on the Model (number) of the radio you know what you're using/getting.

SCPD

QRT
IUnfortunately we have board members that look for threads like this just so they can rip you apart trying to make themselves look smarter.

No, the point is to nip wrong information to avoid future confusion for others.

Who the hell "ripped apart" the OP, anyway? :confused:

SCPD

QRT
Be careful of test apx units hitting the market lately with fake real lookong tags. Not like the xts I hear these are the real time bomb brick deals waiting to occur with experimental code plugs etc. Just what I heard can't confirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.