• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX 8000 Bluetooth RSM Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinblueline42

Premium Subscriber
Somewhere between Onteora and Ganienkeh, NY
So I purchased the Motorola bluetooth RSM (Radio Speaker Mic) for my APX 8000, and cannot get the thing to connect. I verified that the RSM is good by connecting it, without issue, to my APX 4000. When I power on my radio, it says "bluetooth failed"; however when I go into the BT menu option, it turns on without problem. Also, visibility and search options say failed every time as well. My APX has the appropriate flash and bluetooth option board as well. Any insight would be appreciated.... Thank you.

FJB2022

Premium Subscriber
So I purchased the Motorola bluetooth RSM (Radio Speaker Mic) for my APX 8000, and cannot get the thing to connect. I verified that the RSM is good by connecting it, without issue, to my APX 4000. When I power on my radio, it says "bluetooth failed"; however when I go into the BT menu option, it turns on without problem. Also, visibility and search options say failed every time as well. My APX has the appropriate flash and bluetooth option board as well. Any insight would be appreciated.... Thank you.

15.12.00 fixed some bluetooth issues, not sure if it was that one or not. They are now at 16.12.00.

Last edited:

thinblueline42

Premium Subscriber
15.12.00 fixed some bluetooth issues, not sure if it was that one or not. They are now at 16.12.00.

Ok, I thought I heard something similar. I'm going to upgrade to firmware 16.12.00 in the next couple days and see if that resolves the problem. Hopefully it does, because I don't really want to drop $ on a new BT option board. I'll post an update after the firmware upgrade later this week.

kb0uxv

Is this an agency owned radio? If so the BT board may have failed.

If not, I believe if certain software is used to hack features in a radio and the mac address info is not set correctly this error may result. I also had a situation where I had beta firmware from plantation in one of their test radios that caused this problem after it was flashed up to the new beta. The radio had to be sent back to be corrected. If your radio is not agency owned, and online purchased both of these mentioned problems could be the cause.

Having deployed several of these mics over the years to PD and FD service I will comment that the talk out audio is loud and abrasive on P25. This has been reported to Motorola by many agencies. Unfortunately no fix yet, it is still occurring with new BN radios and new Bluetooth RSMs. Reducing Bluetooth gain in the referenced audio profile has also not helped. Please be warned about this if you plan to use this mic in mission critical public safety.

thinblueline42

Premium Subscriber
Is this an agency owned radio? If so the BT board may have failed.

If not, I believe if certain software is used to hack features in a radio and the mac address info is not set correctly this error may result. I also had a situation where I had beta firmware from plantation in one of their test radios that caused this problem after it was flashed up to the new beta. The radio had to be sent back to be corrected. If your radio is not agency owned, and online purchased both of these mentioned problems could be the cause.

Having deployed several of these mics over the years to PD and FD service I will comment that the talk out audio is loud and abrasive on P25. This has been reported to Motorola by many agencies. Unfortunately no fix yet, it is still occurring with new BN radios and new Bluetooth RSMs. Reducing Bluetooth gain in the referenced audio profile has also not helped. Please be warned about this if you plan to use this mic in mission critical public safety.

Radio is personally owned, purchased from a Motorola Authorized Dealer. It is used on two systems that I am authorized to operate on and assist in maintaining. My APX 8000 has worked flawlessly up to this point. I trust it with my life, and I don't use that phrase lightly. I'm hoping the firmware upgrade resolves this problem; especially since my APX 8000 is loaded with a firmware with known bluetooth issues.

I hear your concerns with the RSM. I noticed P25 communications are abrasive when used with the speaker. I tested it for awhile yesterday on my APX 4000 using the earphone jack and communications were much more intelligible. Transmitting and receiving seemed to work fairly well within 20 meters; but I absolutely need to test this more.

kb0uxv

If a dealer purchase it may be under warranty, if you find the board is the problem. Most of our APX purchases include 3 year warranty so its out to 4 with the included first year.

4-crime

This is probably a firmware issue. I too had a similar issue with a Motorola Bluetooth RSM connecting to an 8000. It would fail to connect unless I moved the mic around the speaker grill. After a few seconds of holding it against the speaker grill it would connect. After updating the firmware to 15.12.00 it wasn't a problem after that.

Also, what do you have your Bluetooth settings set up for in CPS? LF MPP & Standard Or standard? I noticed I had an issue with my radios when I had it set up for LF MPP & Standard. Once I switched to standard it wasn't an issue.

Last edited:

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I have the same issue and swapped in a new BT board. Still no luck. Just upgraded firmware to latest and still have the issue. I plan to send to depot for repair next....

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
When we first deployed our APX8000s it was discovered that through drag and drop it was possible to blow away the MAC address of the BT board, thus any attempts at connecting a BT device resulted in BT failures. F/W was 14.51

The only fix was to depot the radio. Not sure if that is what is happening in your case, but if the BT MAC address is zeroed out (or invalid) this might also be the cause.

thinblueline42

Premium Subscriber
When we first deployed our APX8000s it was discovered that through drag and drop it was possible to blow away the MAC address of the BT board, thus any attempts at connecting a BT device resulted in BT failures. F/W was 14.51

The only fix was to depot the radio. Not sure if that is what is happening in your case, but if the BT MAC address is zeroed out (or invalid) this might also be the cause.

BT MAC address is showing characters, but I'm not sure how to check to ensure they are valid.

Upgraded to version 16.01.00 firmware and this issue is still occurring. I guess I'm going to have to send it in to Motorola Depot. Does anyone have any experience with sending radios in? Does anyone know if they'll mess with the flashcode or anything? I'm running with a pretty premium flashcode right now and don't want to loose it. Can't see why they'd mess with it, but just looking to hear from other's experience.

Last edited:
If all of the options in your "premium flashcode" were paid for then no, you shouldn't have any issues with the depot messing with it. If your "premium flashcode" was altered, then you might.

thinblueline42

Premium Subscriber
If all of the options in your "premium flashcode" were paid for then no, you shouldn't have any issues with the depot messing with it. If your "premium flashcode" was altered, then you might.

Came from Motorola Authorized Dealer so it was definitely paid for. Not like I force wrote a "premium codeplug" to it with a bastard copy of Depot, or anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ME801

The XTL's that I have sent to mother M came back with the same flashcode, but were upgraded to the latest firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.