• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Apx 8000 clam shell Battery pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K5KDF

Im Fixing to deploy to some fires. I have four Impress 2 rechargeable lithium ion 5100mah Batteries. I never really run out a juice in the field.
But you never know there could be that “one time” I do run out.
So my question is has anyone ever used a Clam shell battery pack?
Clam shell battery pack
12 AA is a lot to carry in the field

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you have easy access to fresh AA batteries, then the clamshell is not a bad idea. If you have to carry around over half a pound of AA batteries, then not quite as practical or convenient.

Frankly, if you want an emergency backup battery until you can get to a charger, you're probably better off with a PMNN4485A 2550 mAh slim battery. A heck of a lot lighter than lugging around 12 AA batteries, and gives you nearly the same runtime as the clamshell filled with half a pound of alkaline batteries. Cost is a little higher, but if that's not a huge factor you could carry two of those slim batteries in the same physical space as the clamshell, and wind up with ~5000 mAh worth of lightweight backup power. Yes, at that point you're basically carrying a third 5100 mAh battery, but have a little bit of redundancy by not putting all of your eggs in one basket. You could carry two slim batteries in different locations (one in pack, one in pocket) in case one gets lost/damaged.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
The nice thing about the AA pack is you get AA batteries almost anywhere. Convenience store, Walmart, tourist traps.
But...that being said, carrying a travel charger might be sufficient.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I have the AA battery pack. Picked it up for SAR. Used once. I'll never use it again. While the concept is great, its huge. Its taller than my 7000. I just added a second battery to my go bag for my 8000. I still carry the AA pack in my truck but it would have to be pretty bad to use it. If it were multiple days with no way to charge any other battery i can see its use.

jruta

If you are "deploying" as a NIFC resource to a Federal fire, that radio is not authorized to be used on a NIFC system. You are better off leaving it at home and signing out a NIFC radio from the COMM unit. Here is a PDF of the approved radios for use on NIFC systems.

Onelick
NIFC COMT

Out of curiosity (I admittedly know nothing about fire service) what makes the APX not compatible? Does it not meet those requirements? Thanks

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Out of curiosity (I admittedly know nothing about fire service) what makes the APX not compatible? Does it not meet those requirements? Thanks
Basically the NIFC specifies what radios they allow. You have to use what they tell you.

Onelick

100 yards west of the east branch of the Antietam
This is just speculation on my part, (I'm just a lowly COMT) Motorola radios are not very friendly out in the field. It's really hard to hand program them, write code plugs, and especially clone to and from. Depending on the BK model I can clone radio to radio in less than a minute for the fastest, and 2-3 minutes for the slowest KNG2s that have alot of frequencies in it's memory. Imagine the mess a COMT would need to adapt to all the different brands and models just in the Motorola family, let alone, Harris, Kenwood, BK, etc. That doesn't even take into account all the different programming software.
Hope this helps,
Onelick

ResQguy

Meh
This is just speculation on my part, (I'm just a lowly COMT) Motorola radios are not very friendly out in the field. It's really hard to hand program them, write code plugs, and especially clone to and from. Depending on the BK model I can clone radio to radio in less than a minute for the fastest, and 2-3 minutes for the slowest KNG2s that have alot of frequencies in it's memory. Imagine the mess a COMT would need to adapt to all the different brands and models just in the Motorola family, let alone, Harris, Kenwood, BK, etc. That doesn't even take into account all the different programming software.
Hope this helps,
Onelick

Basically, if it isn't included in the 004320 COML KIT , don't show up with it or you're going to the back of the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.