• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX 8000 Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResqChief201

Premium Subscriber
So my APX 8000 is having issues with Type II systems. The radio has a mix of Phase I, Phase II, and Type II, systems for my surrounding counties. It has been programmed and viewed multiple times by the county and they can not determine the issue.

Issue - Radio will NOT transmit on ANY Type II system but can receive Type II.
It will however transmit and receive on Phase I and Phase II systems.

Radio IDs are correct on all the systems and radio contains the ccrrect flashcode. We tried cloning it to another 8000 that works perfect and still nothing. Just won't transmit on ANY Type II systems.

Anyone have any input?

MSS-Dave

You cloned to a known working 8000 and "nothing" meaning the cloned radio worked properly or did not work properly the exact same way the problem radio doesn't?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

ResqChief201

Premium Subscriber
You cloned to a known working 8000 and "nothing" meaning the cloned radio worked properly or did not work properly the exact same way the problem radio doesn't?

The radio was cloned to a known working 8000 and still could not transmit on any Type-II system after the clone was performed. Shop gave up on it so I'm hoping I can find a fix before I sell it

MSS-Dave

Is the Type II system single site or simulcast? Wide area? What band? Is the problem radio optioned EXACTLY the same as known working 8000 on Type II? What indication do you get on failed TX? Has the problem radio been checked completely or run through alignment?

Sorry so many questions but need more info.

ResqChief201

Premium Subscriber
Is the Type II system single site or simulcast? Wide area? What band? Is the problem radio optioned EXACTLY the same as known working 8000 on Type II? What indication do you get on failed TX? Has the problem radio been checked completely or run through alignment?

Sorry so many questions but need more info.

Radio is flashed the same as all the other 8000s currently in use. One system is a single site Type II P25 and the other Type II is a simulcast system. Both are 800Mhz systems. They both display good signal strength and receive audio without issue. So it is affiliating. But when you key up you just get the fail tone. No errors show up. Our shop looked at it but could not determine the issue. Just a very weird issue

riveter

Premium Subscriber
RID not accepted by closed system would produce a registration denial which would prevent RX audio on the portable, so I don't think that's it.

If y'all can watch the ZC or an air traffic viewer, that'll confirm registration status though.

Really this has to be looked at from the System side:
1) Does the radio register properly with the Zone Controller? (indications are YES from what you said, but good to check)
2) Does the ZC RECEIVE the channel grant request from the radio?
3) What response does the ZC SEND to the radio upon receiving channel grant request?

Sure it is probably a radio problem of some sort, but the easiest way to answer it is to see how the system is interacting with the radio's inbound data.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Did you clone the trunked systems from another radio, such as a 7000?

If so, make sure the ISW Window Adjustment is set to 65225 - FEC9 (Trunking Configuration > Trunking Wide > Advanced...very bottom of the page)

In the 8000, this value is different from all other APX models (65077 - FE35), and it makes a difference on Type II systems.

RKG

Another possibility: is connect tone correct? Bad connect tone would cause low speed handshake to fail.

ResqChief201

Premium Subscriber
RIDs are in the system and as far as I know, the admins most likely would have checked that the radio registered properly, but I will confirm this with them.

Radio was cloned to another 8000 but I will go in the Trunking Wide Tomorrow and check this to be sure.

Connect Tone on both systems is correct and all control channels and band plans have been confirmed as well

riveter

Premium Subscriber
as far as I know, the admins most likely would have checked that the radio registered properly, but I will confirm this with them.

Most radio technicians I've known operate as far in the blinders as possible. They'll check the reference oscillator and maybe what's in the programming, and MAYBE glance at a traffic viewer to see it key up, but very few I know will actually pay attention to the outbound control signalling to see if a radio is being denied or is even getting in to the system. ISW adjustment could be a big factor there too, so that's a great point made above... but yeah, a lot of radio technicians will assume something works because it tested OK on the service monitor in test conditions or because the programming looks fine.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Maybe system admin realized the radio was stolen and deactivated the RID

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

ResqChief201

Premium Subscriber
Issue fixed. Thank you GTR8000 for the advice on the ISW adjustment. Value was different. Also noticed that Smartzone was enabled as well. Appreciate the help

And no, this radio is not stolen lol.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
That sounds like an Alvaro special.... I wouldn't put that radio any where near commercial use.

ResqChief201

Premium Subscriber
He gets them from surplus auctions as well as other dealers on eBay from my understanding. Most don't have tags and are rebuilt or ALT radios...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.