• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX APX 8500 Emergency randomly going off

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwo0123

hello, I've been trying to install two APX 8500's in a "dispatch" type of configuration where a O5 head sits on a desk and the radio is below in a cabinet. With a accessory connector (HLN6863B). This connector is plugged into a brick then moves to a headset radio box so the dispatchers can you their existing headsets.

For some reason whenever I turn the radio on the emergency triggers and dispatch is notified. I tried updated to the latest firmware (R21.03.00) and still did not fix the issue.

Is the (HLN6863B) connector specific to the APX 7500? because that's what I got the accessory connector from.

Is there a way through CPS to remove the emergency features from accessories (which I assume where the emergency is triggering).

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
Do you have "Emergency Power Up" enabled under Emergency Wide? This still shouldn't automatically send an alert without someone activating a softkey/footswitch for emergency... But, It could be causing the issue maybe? Only thing I could think of. What is your ignition sense set too under Radio Wide -> Features?

Also, I've always used HKN6188B when installing/fiddling with APX mobiles/control heads

Last edited:

pwo0123

Do you have "Emergency Power Up" enabled under Emergency Wide? This still shouldn't automatically send an alert without someone activating a softkey/footswitch for emergency... But, It could be causing the issue maybe? Only thing I could think of. What is your ignition sense set too under Radio Wide -> Features?

Also, I've always used HKN6188B when installing/fiddling with APX mobiles/control heads

Emergency power up is disabled and i'm not finding anything related to ignition sense under Radio Wide -> Features. Unless its the field titled "accessory cable configuration" which currently is set to 4-wire....... i might give 2-wire a try.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
Well, First off I would contact your radio shop if you have one. Secondly, if accessible I’d disconnect the antenna for the time being to prevent emergency packets from being sent out of you’re going to tinker with it. You should be seeing an option under Radio Wide -> Features -> Ignition Switch. I would highly suggest reaching out to your shop or dealer, and allow them to solve the issue. I understand the concept of RR Forums is for us all to learn new things (and from our mistakes) but when a radio is constantly sending out emergency packets upon power up, it’s either going to piss a SysAdmin off or a dispatcher off. Just my personal opinion.

Tech21

The accessory plug is probably not seated all the ways or one of the pins/wires is broken. The emergency in the accessory plug is on pin 15 and jumpered to pin 14 to ground. This accessory plug pinout for this has to be correct and seated properly or else the issue you are describing will happen.

This accessory plug automatically disables the emergency mode regardless of CPS settings. Make sure pin 15 and 14 are jumpered on the accessory plug and test with a multimeter.

pwo0123

The accessory plug is probably not seated all the ways or one of the pins/wires is broken. The emergency in the accessory plug is on pin 15 and jumpered to pin 14 to ground. This accessory plug pinout for this has to be correct and seated properly or else the issue you are describing will happen.

This accessory plug automatically disables the emergency mode regardless of CPS settings. Make sure pin 15 and 14 are jumpered on the accessory plug and test with a multimeter.

thanks for the info. I tested with a multimeter and everything looks good. When I plug the accessory port in and turn the radio on the emergency triggers instantly. Can pin 14 and 15 be removed?

Tech21

No, the pins have to be there. Is the red wire coming off of the accessory plug plugged into the same power source as the radio? Are all the grounds connected? Is the yellow ignition sense wire going to the same power sources as the red wire in the power plug for the control head?

pwo0123

Texh21:
red wire off the connector isn’t plugged into anything. grounds are connected and yellow wire from head is on the same power source as red power wire.

kf8yk:
I’ll try putting the connector on the head tomorrow.

thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.