• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Consolette with MCD 5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

KellyTheET

Looking for assistance with using an APX consolette with direct connection to a MCD 5000 deskset.

I have updated the firmware of the APX to the latest revision posted on Moto's site, and enabled the IP deskset setting that has been added. Is there anything else I need to do, any settings I need to change in the MCD? Would I need to change the IP address of the APX to the subnet of the MCD? How does one alter the settings of a MCD if you don't have an RGU available?

Just seeking some guidance on what seems like a simple task. I really need a step by step guide, which does not seem to be easy to find in M's archives.

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
Go into the Controller setup for the Consolette. Make sure you have IP Deskset enabled and change the IP address to 10.0.0.5. Leave the subnet mask and default gateway alone. Go into the MCD configuration and set the necessary IP address information and add it to your system configuration. Go into Modify Configuration for the MCD. Check both the RGU and Deskset selections at the top of the form. This tells the Deskset it's acting alone. Go into the Radio Configuration, select APX Consolette from the radio type drop down and select whether the radio is trunked or conventional. Check the radio IP; it should already be 10.0.0.5. Connect the Internal LAN port on the Deskset to the LAN port on the Consolette. Apply the configuration and let everything reboot. The components should show yellow icons in the configuration tree when everything is talking. Then, go to the System Parameters and Deskset Parameters and set them as needed. Activate and reboot as prompted.

KellyTheET

OK, I'm with you on everything except for the MCD configuration. Do I use MCD CT? Can I use that if I don't have an rgu handy? Thank you! Thanks for clearing up this obtuse process!

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
The MCD CT works with the RGUs and the Desksets. If the Deskset and Consolette are within 300 ft. of each other and connected directly, you don't need an RGU. The Deskset provides the RGU function.

It can be quite a process if you're not familiar with it. The first one I ever did took me two days to get it straight.

KellyTheET

I'm still having issues with getting CT to talk to the MCD. Do I connect directly from the laptop to the MCD Lan port? What function initiates the CT to pull the programming?

Surely there is a guide from start to finish on getting this set up.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
You need to use the internal IP port on the MCD with CT. Once connected you will pull the limited info from the MCD. If its only one MCD and one APX its pretty simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.