• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Control Head Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ike2

I realize this is my first post, but I've been using this forum for reference for a long time. I work for a law enforcement agency and we program our own radios. We just received a APX7500 (VHF/UHF). I am attempting to program it with CPS 15.0.0.1. I have a Windows 7 64bit desktop. With the desktop, it says that it can't find the "Motorola APX Series Control Head Driver".

So, I figured why not try a Windows 10 computer? I have both a Windows 10 Panasonic ToughPad tablet and a Windows 10 Toshiba Satellite laptop. With the tablet and laptop, the radio restarts over and over when plugged into either computer. I thought maybe USB 3.0 was the problem, so I used the USB 2.0 port on the tablet. Same thing.

Does this sound like a bad programming cable? If so, it's odd because the Windows 7 desktop sees the radio. It just can't find drivers.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
That's interesting. On a note, you may not be able to read that radio if you just received it from Motorola. Current CPS is R16.00.00 and if it is like the R14 to R15 migration back in November, won't be able to read a radio programmed by R15.x.x with R14.x.x.

sfd119

Try reininstalling the CPS. It should detect the APX as a network device and install the drivers automatically.

Ike2

Try reininstalling the CPS. It should detect the APX as a network device and install the drivers automatically.
That may possibly fix the Windows 7 desktop issue, but what about the Windows 10 laptop and tablet issues? I'll be programming it in the car after the radio is installed the initial programming with the Windows 7 desktop.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

jim202

Make sure you have the software (CPS) set for the correct type connection depending on the cable your using. I would think that would be a USB connection.

sfd119

If you plug the cable in and the radio restarts over and over, something is wrong with that cable. Is it an OEM Motorola Cable? The USB one not a Serial? What's the part number??

jim202

Make sure you have the program running first before you connect the radio. The software should go out and find the driver right after you connect the radio to the computer for the first time. After that, the driver will be loaded and you won't have the problem. But even after you have the driver loaded, start the software before connecting the radio to the computer.

Ike2

Sorry about the delayed response. I reinstalled CPS and that worked for the Windows 7 desktop. It now recognizes the radio. In the mean time, I'm waiting for a replacement programming cable to arrive. I have an HKN6184C. That's all I can figure in why my Windows 10 tablet and laptop makes the radio restart over and over.

sfd119

If it works for the 7 desktop and not 10 tablet...I don't think the cable is the issue. Just for gigs, try reinstalling CPS on the 10 Tablet.

Ike2

You don't understand. The radio restarts like 5 seconds after being plugged into the Windows 10 laptop and tablet. It then keeps restarting over and over. The laptop and tablet don't even have a chance to recognize that the device plugged into them is the radio.

Ike2

OK, well let it be known that if anyone has an issue like that, it is the cable. I just received a replacement cable from Motorola and my Windows 10 tablet read and wrote to the radio just fine.

sfd119

Glad you got it solved. Still interesting why it would work with the 7 PC and not the 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.