• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX ( conventional ) programming question

mbnv992

So - I am super familiar with Astro 25 CPS, MTS CPS, etc but this APX CPS is throwing me for a loop haha

In prior CPS’s I would set up 1 “conventional personality” per channel. Then, go to Zone Channel Assignment and put them all in zones ( then just assign each personality into a scan list, zone 1 1-16 would be scan list 1, zone 2 17-32 scan list 2, etc etc )

From what I’m gathering in APX CPS you set up a “conventional personality” with “like” characteristics ( such as P25 / analog etc ).

Right now I have my radio set up to FPP in about 8 zones ( 16 channels per zone ) however I think I goofed and put them all in one “conventional personality” since they all only have one scan list.
Is there a way for me to go back into CPS and ( since I already have all those channels set up via FPP ) cut them out and add them into another conventional personality so they can have their own scan lists or would it be best to start from scratch all over again ?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I use minimal personalities in my ASTRO25 portables. Mostly just 1 personality per zone, unless I've got mixed modes and/or clear/encrypted channels. It seems like a whole lot of work to go and create more personalities than you need. My scan lists are done per zone, so each channel in a zone has the same scan list.

nhfdcadet

GCT-1
Premium Subscriber
I have one zone for FPP, and have 16 different personalities, one for each channel. Is it entirely necessary? probably not. Does it work, yes.
If youve got them all on one personality, when you change from analog to astro or vice versa, it will change every channel, not just the one you are currently on.

mbnv992

I have one zone for FPP, and have 16 different personalities, one for each channel. Is it entirely necessary? probably not. Does it work, yes.
If youve got them all on one personality, when you change from analog to astro or vice versa, it will change every channel, not just the one you are currently on.
How to you have it set up so it will have the option to change RX / TX from analog to P25 via FPP ? Maybe set the personality to “mixed” in CPS to give you the option via FPP ?

So far I’ve realized that the XTS CPS for FPP is much easier to setup - especially considering that once you setup the zones with FPP it automatically has it so it can do P25 or analog per channel.

nhfdcadet

GCT-1
Premium Subscriber
How to you have it set up so it will have the option to change RX / TX from analog to P25 via FPP ? Maybe set the personality to “mixed” in CPS to give you the option via FPP ?

So far I’ve realized that the XTS CPS for FPP is much easier to setup - especially considering that once you setup the zones with FPP it automatically has it so it can do P25 or analog per channel.
exactly, I set them all to mixed mode, then I select whichever I need when I FPP the channel

mbnv992

That explains a lot. Thank you !

Now I just have to figure out how to put all these FPP channels I already made in the radio, to put them in separate conventional personalities of 16 channels each with a separate scan list ( since I goofed and put them all under one big conventional personality with one scan list for all the zones ). Hopefully I can copy and paste those zones I already made up into seperate conventional personalities.