• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX CPS 29.00.00 - FW 29.00.01 - Do not upgrade.

Tech21

Issue with a codeplug password being added on a radio that doesn't have read/write password protection enabled may exist. Upgrade at your own risk.

This version changes how the read/write operation functions. You can't just password protect read/write individually, it's all or none with CPS 29.00.00 and FW 29.00.01

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I ran into this issue with a 6000AN I upgraded the other night. The issue is that CPS is resurrecting the last password the codeplug had prior to that password being disabled at some point.

If you know the old password, enter it, remove password protection, and write to the radio. If you don't know the password, you might be SOL.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I would suggest for anyone who is going to install R29 anyway and you're not sure if the radio/codeplug ever had a password, you might want to set a new password using R28 or whatever version you're running on currently. This way if you're prompted for a password after the R29 upgrade, it'll be the one you just set.

If you don't know the pedigree of the radio, or can't recall if there was a password at any point or what it might've been, then it's best to steer clear of R29 until MSI fixes the bug.

N4KVE

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Why should Motorola hire testers when they have us?
Yes. We are their lab rats. 28 was bad, & so was the rushed to market 28.3. Now 29 is here with its own set of problems. It’s always 3 steps forward, & 2 steps back With them. I’m staying at 27.

rkumetz

I don't see 29 yet but I was just about to install 28. What sort of horrible fate awaits me should I chose to continue down that dark path?

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
It may take weeks or months to fully beta test a new release if THEY do it, but if they just throw it out into the wild, we'll find the bugs in a matter of days, or hours, or even minutes. They may have to fix a few radios but it saves them a lot of time validating the release THEMSELVES. :unsure::ROFLMAO:

PACNWDude

Motorola Trbo CPS 2.134.76.0 has issues as well. You can't use the letter "F" for a hex RadioID, and the long press of the EMER(gency) button does not work either. This is with brand new XPR7550e (new production, they end production of this model as of 31 May 2023) running firmware R02.22.02.3001.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I've upgraded multiple radios without the issue your describing. While I'm sure there may be a bug I think its with any firmware. Test and verify before rolling out. Ive been happy with all my APX both mobile and portable on R29. YMMV

cpg178

Both mobiles have been on 29 since it came out just over a week ago, I have had no issues, but my stuff never had passwords on it.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I'm upgrading to 28 tomorrow... and wont' upgrade to 29 until 30 comes

Other than one FD 6KXE test radio in my shop we are holding off here in Durham as well. Also keeping an eye on MTUG discussions to see if anyone else has come up with any more issues.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Have it on a 6000AN, 6000BN, 7000, 8000, and 8000XE. So far so good. No known issues. Yet.

Have it on a FD Test portable 6KXE here and not seeing any issues so far. Going to try removing a password and seeing if that makes any difference.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Well, first problem. One of our techs updated a BN 8000XE to 29 from 28,31. He had a known a read/write password on the C/P, which is our procedure, and can no longer read the radio or write to it. He confirmed he used a known password, but the radio will not read/write and gives a "bad password" so going to open a case tomorrow with support.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
MTN-0016-23-NA was issued today:
TITLE: Loss of WiFi capabilities on APX™ Radio after upgrade or write using Radio Management

My coworker is the only one in our shop who has updated to R29 so far but he almost immediately noticed the radio no longer connected to WiFi. He was able to remedy it (it appears for now at least) by updating the codeplug version followed by a USB write. This is explained in the MTN but they admit it's an RMS defect.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Well, first problem. One of our techs updated a BN 8000XE to 29 from 28,31. He had a known a read/write password on the C/P, which is our procedure, and can no longer read the radio or write to it. He confirmed he used a known password, but the radio will not read/write and gives a "bad password" so going to open a case tomorrow with support.
Radio can't be recovered with "usual" methods. Depot trip required...I see 29.00.0x coming don't you?