• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX APX CPS R22: Increased UCL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Some welcome news...the UCL has been increased for all APX subscribers. The older models get bumped up to 5,000 entries, the 6x00BN gets bumped up to 8,000, and the 8x00 up to 12,500.

Unfortunately, it appears that the restriction of 5 IDs per alias remains in effect.

1605224587257.png

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Seems that this won't kick in until FW R22 is released.

I also have a feeling that the chart from CPS help was poorly written, and the AN mobiles will jump up to 5,000 while the BN mobiles will jump to 8,000. This would be in keeping with the 6000AN vs 6000BN.

IMPRES2

I would personally like to see in-band caller aliasing brought over from MOTOTRBO and added/utilized on APX. I would still program UCLs for consoles that never change IDs, but more over, it would save mass programming UCLs across different departments for IDs that could change next month. If deployed properly with neighboring admins, during mutual aid the users could see by name which MA unit is keying without ever having a UCL contact for them. There is nothing that annoys me more than reprogramming hundreds of fielded radios with contacts, and then being notified of a complaint that Bob’s subscriber is aliasing as Joe (the guy that was let go).

IMPRES2

I’m aware of Group Services being needed to utilize alias group download from the provisioning manager, but I wasn’t under the impression that it allowed the subscriber user to update their own alias. That’s good to know!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I have to research Group Services a bit more in-depth to find out if there is any capability for the subscriber to send its updated alias back to PM. Otherwise yeah, the change needs to be made in PM for it to be effective. Hmm.

IMPRES2

IMO - the less people that have access to the PM, the better. If the user can update their own alias via their subscribers menu like MOTOTRBO then it has the possibility (with proper template setup and the right user training), to save a lot of headaches with subscribers that traverse neighboring systems for MA

NVAGVUP

Feed Provider
We use Group Services for the primary reason as noted above. (Ability to update alias's over the air). Yes this occurs in PM. Once an alias is changed in PM, it takes a PTT or 2 and the alias info is updated on all field units. It is a fantastic feature and worth the $$$ for larger fleets.

There are some programming dependencies. (PM and field radio) but it works as advertised.

But I use UCL for fixed console aliasing. (As MCC consoles are not "Over the Air).

NVAGVUP

Feed Provider
A couple of other items RE Group Services.

To clarify, the alias update originates in PM. It is NOT changed by a field unit.

Available w/APX subscribers only.

Group Services is available on P25 trunked systems WITHOUT IV&D. (7.17.x and later I believe) BUT, group services requires system licensing. (Along with subscriber radio feature set). Whether the system licensing is enforced,,,,,,,, (My opinion is even if Moto is currently not enforcing group services system licensing, there will be a day when they do.) Current suggested list. $5K per 500 subscriber units.

Sorry to side track from UCL conversation.

PACNWDude

A couple of other items RE Group Services.

To clarify, the alias update originates in PM. It is NOT changed by a field unit.

Available w/APX subscribers only.

Group Services is available on P25 trunked systems WITHOUT IV&D. (7.17.x and later I believe) BUT, group services requires system licensing. (Along with subscriber radio feature set). Whether the system licensing is enforced,,,,,,,, (My opinion is even if Moto is currently not enforcing group services system licensing, there will be a day when they do.) Current suggested list. $5K per 500 subscriber units.

Sorry to side track from UCL conversation.
Just went through a PM refresher course a couple of months ago. Motorola instructor very specifically said that the most the system will show is that licensing capability has been exceeded, or needs to be purchased at some time. Enforcement will be at a later date. It was interesting how many features, and hardware could be added without an appropriate license, with only a warning being provided to the system administrator. Educated guesses were that it may be more than a year, think covid impact, before anything changes.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Firmware R21.62.00 was released today, which unlocks this feature when paired with CPS R22.00.01

1605911037219.png

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
IMO - the less people that have access to the PM, the better. If the user can update their own alias via their subscribers menu like MOTOTRBO then it has the possibility (with proper template setup and the right user training), to save a lot of headaches with subscribers that traverse neighboring systems for MA

Subscribers being able to update their own alias would be a major headache, IMHO. All you need is a flock of firefighters who create alias names like "HOTLUVR" and other such nonsense (and I know people who would do that) for some serious havoc to result.

Changing alias names etc in PM should stay with PM; no "field updated" alias names or other info should be allowed.

IMPRES2

All you need is a flock of firefighters who create alias names like "HOTLUVR" and other such nonsense (and I know people who would do that) for some serious havoc to result.
That right there is the biggest Catch-22 when it comes to this feature. I worked with one of my customers to implement subscriber-based aliasing (6500+ radios) on their Capacity Max system (being there is no “PM” for administrative OTA alias group changes) and for the past month there haven’t been any users that purposely enter fictitious handles. The configuration was setup so that on power up they had to enter an alphanumeric string or press the ok (or PTT) button to leave the Alias unchanged from the previous power up. From watching the NBI traffic I can say that users are entering their first + last initial followed by their PID number DS-770896. Now that’s not to say that in a few months we won’t start seeing fictitious handles, but that’s what write ups and disciplinary actions help enforce.
There are pros and cons to each side of the topic but I think in general it could provide benefits if used properly, and situational chaos if not properly policed.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Subscribers being able to update their own alias would be a major headache, IMHO. All you need is a flock of firefighters who create alias names like "HOTLUVR" and other such nonsense (and I know people who would do that) for some serious havoc to result.

Changing alias names etc in PM should stay with PM; no "field updated" alias names or other info should be allowed.
Well stated. Once we start giving users too much autonomy, control of our systems goes away. And once we give them a feature, good luck on taking it away.

Especially with CAM, no need to let end users dicker with things they don't need to be.

Endurothlete

I've seen old threads for an XML import tool for alias' into CPS. Does anyone have access to a good tool or able to help?

Status
Not open for further replies.