• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX CPS using Surface Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

medicfire1

Premium Subscriber
I am attempting to use APX CPS R23.00 on my Microsoft Surface Pro and I keep getting errors when I am trying to read the radio. The error advises: Could not find a radio connected to a USB port.

I know the Surface Pro is picking up the USB drive as I have attached thumb drives to it and it works and when I attached a radio it gives me an audio alert and tells me a new network is available.

I have checked the CPS Software to make sure ifs looking for the USB port and I even uninstalled and reinstalled the software and still get the same error.

Anyone have any suggestions or have you all used a Surface Pro for programming radios? I chose the surface pro since I am in and out of cruisers/fire trucks all the time and wanted something light weight to carry around.

Thanks

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I used a Surface Go with APX, MotoTRBO and Harris programming software with no issue, so it sounds like perhaps a driver issue of some sort? Have you been able to use any other CPS software via USB on this tablet?

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Which Surface Pro model? I hope it isn't the Pro X model... drivers won't be compatible with Win10 ARM processors.

wgbecks

You might try installing the MotorolaAPXUSBSetup_R14.01.00 driver package. Otherwise, if you're APX is Bluetooth enabled, you could pairing up with your radio and use that option from within CPS.

medicfire1

Premium Subscriber
I used a Surface Go with APX, MotoTRBO and Harris programming software with no issue, so it sounds like perhaps a driver issue of some sort? Have you been able to use any other CPS software via USB on this tablet?
I also have Astro25 CPS to program Motorola XTS2500 and I have no issues with it working it’s only the APX CPS.

medicfire1

Premium Subscriber
Which Surface Pro model? I hope it isn't the Pro X model... drivers won't be compatible with Win10 ARM processors.
It says model 1807 with i5 processor. And I can run the Motorola Astro25 CPS and it has no issues it’s just the APX CPS.

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
I remember a little while back they came out with an APX USB driver that had to be installed
Check on MOL, part number NVN5424H

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I remember a little while back they came out with an APX USB driver that had to be installed
Check on MOL, part number NVN5424H
That was only because they forgot to include the USB driver with a few versions of CPS, but that has since been rectified with the most recent releases of CPS 23.xx.xx

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
It says model 1807 with i5 processor. And I can run the Motorola Astro25 CPS and it has no issues it’s just the APX CPS.

Yeah Surface Pro 7. Should be fine. Probably driver configuration. Check Windows Device Manager for any problems, etc. Obviously, make sure your device is updated with latest firmware and Windows OS updates, etc.

medicfire1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for everyone's replies however I found the issue. My Surface Pro has NetMotion installed on it and it was blocking it. Once I disable NetMotion I was able to read and write to an APX radio.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Thanks for everyone's replies however I found the issue. My Surface Pro has NetMotion installed on it and it was blocking it. Once I disable NetMotion I was able to read and write to an APX radio.
Yes apx uses IP addresses which cad vpn software can block it.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Yes apx uses IP addresses which cad vpn software can block it.

Trying to look deeper into a ARM on ARM Macbook M1 Windows 11 VM and the APX USB connection. Can you describe more how the USB IP addressing is handled, so I can tinker in settings to see if something obvious is blocking the conection to the radio? With all the emulation on emulation maybe there could be a chance somethign can be made to work because there is IP and not serial hapenning?

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.