• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Digital Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

jluisi86

Background: I've been programming Motorola analog radios for about 5 years now using PRO CPS, ASTRO 25 and APX CPS. So I have a good understanding with Motorola programs.

I am looking for some pointers or maybe even a general PDF on the basics for programming a P25 Phase 1 conventional system. I have searched around a few times and really only come up with threads about people trying to scan trunked systems...

I am mainly looking for information on IDs (like MDC with analog) pre/post tones and things like that. I obviously understand the frequency data and NAC codes.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be great. Thank you

beaker7

Its pretty simple, I'd argue simpler than analog due to not having to set up MDC for IDing. Its just a matter of changing Tx to Astro tx. Im speaking from experience with an XTS5000 but im betting its similar to an APX.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Its pretty simple, I'd argue simpler than analog due to not having to set up MDC for IDing. Its just a matter of changing Tx to Astro tx. Im speaking from experience with an XTS5000 but im betting its similar to an APX.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

APX merged some of the differences features from Astro and Astro 25. Gives you the ability to alias talk group IDs in the personalities versus having to remember the hex when assigning them. Also lets you alias personalities and not having to remember the personality number.

Just set the UID in the Astro System and then make the personalities digital. That's all there is to it.

jluisi86

I will only be dealing with APX CPS for the digital side. I figured out the channel programming and ID. Is there anyway to mimic a pre MDC tone on the digital side?

hitechRadio

I will only be dealing with APX CPS for the digital side. I figured out the channel programming and ID. Is there anyway to mimic a pre MDC tone on the digital side?

If you have encryption you could do something like that..

But no, due to the ID is embedded in the CIA data stream, no need to wait for the ID to go through before talking, like with analog MDC.

If using on conventional and you have FW 14 and up , enable RSSI display.

Background: I've been programming Motorola analog radios for about 5 years now using PRO CPS, ASTRO 25 and APX CPS. So I have a good understanding with Motorola programs.

I am looking for some pointers or maybe even a general PDF on the basics for programming a P25 Phase 1 conventional system. I have searched around a few times and really only come up with threads about people trying to scan trunked systems...

I am mainly looking for information on IDs (like MDC with analog) pre/post tones and things like that. I obviously understand the frequency data and NAC codes.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be great. Thank you

Here's a copy of a post I wrote a few months back. Hope it helps!

I, too, had to figure this out early on. And it wasn’t easy.

"1) As N1GTL explained, you must first go to Radio Ergonomics > Display, and scroll down to “ID Display”. Use the dropdown next to the “PTT ID DISPLAY”, and select “Dispatch and Scan”.
2) Going back to the “Codeplug Configuration” tree, scroll down to “Conventional Configuration”, and select the “Conventional System” menu.
3) Right-click on the “Conventional System” menu, and select “Add”.
4) Now select the system that was just created, and left-click on it to open it.
5) Under “Conventional System Name”, erase the generic name and call it whatever you want. For this exercise, I’ve called mine “FIRE”.
6) Directly beneath that, locate the “System Type”. Mine is defaulted to “Astro”.
7) Use the dropdown to select “MDC”.
8) Now, go back to the “Codeplug Configuration” tree, and select “Conventional Personality”.
9) Assuming you already have created personalities, click on a personality that you want to assign the MDC system to. In this exercise, I’ve created “SGFD”. If you haven’t yet created a personality, go ahead and create one that will have this MDC system assigned to it.
10) Once you’ve built out the personality (an exercise I won’t go into here), continue scrolling down beyond the frequency inputs and options, and find the “Signaling” sub-menu.
11) Within the “Non-Astro” menu area, locate the “Signaling Type” dropdown menu, and select “MDC”.
12) Directly beneath that, locate the “System Number”. Change that to the system you created in step 5.
13) Going back to the “Codeplug Configuration” tree, scroll down to “Call List Configuration”, and click on “Unified Call List”.
14) Across the top of the screen are symbols. Click the “+” symbol to add a new “Contact Name”. This will create a generic contact; something along the lines of “Contact 00126”, in my case.
15) Highlight the generic contact name, and call it whatever you want. In my case, I’m going to call this contact “Battalion 1”.
16) After you’ve named your contact, click the little arrow to the left of the contact, so that the contact is highlighted blue.
17) Looking back up at your symbols across the top of the screen (where the “+” symbol is), select the blue folder (to the right of the trashcan). This opens additional options.
18) You now have several ID options, as well as the option to rename your contact if you so wish. Technically, you could have skipped step 4, and simply renamed the contact here. I learned that it’s easier to name it first, so that you are ensured that you have the correct contact open in this screen. Keeping the generic name, and renaming it from here, caused me confusion as I entered hundreds of these ID’s.
19) The option you want is “MDC Conventional ID”.
20) Along the “MDC” ribbon, click the “+” symbol.
21) Select the “System Name” from the dropdown menu. (Created in step 5, and assigned in step 12).
22) Under “Primary ID”, enter the MDC ID number
23) At this point, you are done. Your radio will read the ID and, if the ID has been created as per these steps, your screen will display the alias as opposed to the number.

The steps here are the same for Astro ID’s. The differences are:
1) When you build your system in steps 5, 6, and 7, you’ll select “Astro” as the signaling type.
2) When you build your conventional personality in steps 10, 11, and 12, you’ll instead use the “Astro” signaling sub-menu, and change the “Astro System” to whatever you created in steps 5, 6, and 7 (reference 1 above).
3) Then, instead of creating a “MDC” ID in step 19, you’ll create an “Astro Conventional ID” by selecting the Astro system you just created, and changing the “Individual ID” to whatever the correct number is.

See. Clear as mud!

Enjoy. I hope this helps."

jluisi86

I will be using AES encryption, I haven't looked in those menu trees yet though.

If you have encryption you could do something like that..

But no, due to the ID is embedded in the CIA data stream, no need to wait for the ID to go through before talking, like with analog MDC.

If using on conventional and you have FW 14 and up , enable RSSI display.

Status
Not open for further replies.