• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX DTMF A-D

wd9cms

Has anyone figured out how to send DTMF A,B,C, and D using a Motorola APX handheld or mobile radio?

Thanks,

Bill

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Does anybody even use those anymore? I don't think there's a single running autopatch still connected to any repeaters in my area. With everybody and his little kids ALL having cell phones these days, an autopatch is quite an obsolete relic of the past these days.

wd9cms

Thanks MTS2000des! Has anyone successfully interfaced an external DTMF pad to a APX radio??? They are still used or remote control and telemetry applications.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Does anybody even use those anymore? I don't think there's a single running autopatch still connected to any repeaters in my area. With everybody and his little kids ALL having cell phones these days, an autopatch is quite an obsolete relic of the past these days.
Two words: S-COM 7330

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Two words: S-COM 7330

Off hand I can think of at least three repeaters with autopatch in my area. They do get used from time to time, obviously not as much as they used to though.

Two of my repeaters have controllers capable of autopatch, but I haven't bothered to go down that road, even though I've got phone line access and could do it.

To the OP: It's much easier to do with a mobile; all you need to do is connect the audio out of your DTMF pad to the ground and aux mike pins (and PTT if the DTMF pad has that capability) of the accessory port on the back of the radio. You might have to tweak the audio level out of the DTMF pad to make sure the audio isn't too hot.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
To be clear, I was referring to the S-COM 7330's capability to have commands and macros entered over-the-air via a DTMF keypad, not an autopatch.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
To be clear, I was referring to the S-COM 7330's capability to have commands and macros entered over-the-air via a DTMF keypad, not an autopatch.

Ewwwwwwwww...

Been there, done that. Gets tedious real fast, especially when you screw something up.