• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0BDW

How often do you update your APX firmware? I'm finding this to be an incredibly time intensive process. I manage a fleet of less than 50 portable radios and 20 mobiles and find that I could spend at least two full days doing firmware updates and cloning out codeplugs whenever I decide to do so. And inevitably at least a couple radios miss the update each round. How do you track which radios have which firmware? Just keep a spreadsheet?

Seems there should be a quicker / easier way? I know over-the-air programming is a thing, but you still have to touch each radio for firmware, don't you? I usually wait until there is an important enough programming change and then go through and do the codeplug and firmware on all of them.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I usually let other people beta test the firmware. I prefer to stay at an older stable release.

ResQguy

Meh
Maybe once a year at most. My development radios get hit as soon as a new release comes out for evaluation though, that way we know going in which version to stick with. If you only have a fleet of 70 radios, why not use the free 100 license version of radio management?

snoopyII

Personally, I'm not a huge proponent of updating firmware unless you have a problem that is corrected by updating it, or would like to take advantage of a new feature that requires a update to support it. I have a APX6000 subscriber that's still on R13, and it works just fine.

Tech21

Personally, I'm not a huge proponent of updating firmware unless you have a problem that is corrected by updating it, or would like to take advantage of a new feature that requires a update to support it. I have a APX6000 subscriber that's still on R13, and it works just fine.
You can't even update now seeing as motorola no longer has firmware versions that old posted in MOL and there has been a lot of improvements and capabilities added since version 13.

Tech21

How often do you update your APX firmware? I'm finding this to be an incredibly time intensive process. I manage a fleet of less than 50 portable radios and 20 mobiles and find that I could spend at least two full days doing firmware updates and cloning out codeplugs whenever I decide to do so. And inevitably at least a couple radios miss the update each round. How do you track which radios have which firmware? Just keep a spreadsheet?

Seems there should be a quicker / easier way? I know over-the-air programming is a thing, but you still have to touch each radio for firmware, don't you? I usually wait until there is an important enough programming change and then go through and do the codeplug and firmware on all of them.
If you only have 50 radios, how does it take two days? That's really only a half days worth of work, if that if you aren't doing a PM on the radio.

N0BDW

Gathering everything does account for some of the time as about 20 of the radios are take-home. But it feels like especially the mobiles take forever to update. I also tend to update the codeplugs at the same time, and we have 7 different models of radios, so each of the 7 require their own codeplug.

N0BDW

Evidently! I just watched the video on Radio Management. I'm going to install it next time I update CPS.

I wish WiFi were an option. None of the radios in the fleet support it. The portables do have Bluetooth, but the mobiles don't.

snoopyII

You can't even update now seeing as motorola no longer has firmware versions that old posted in MOL and there has been a lot of improvements and capabilities added since version 13.

I completely disagree, you can always update them. My dealer would be more than happy to bring them up to 21, if I'd let him. I could do it myself If I really wanted to.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
RM requires a server, licensing, and all the fun of giving MSI more money. It's not just a simple as installing the client. Firmware should be updated whenever a radio comes in for PM or once a year, provided the release is stable. We don't push the latest to all subscribers. I vet it on my radios and wait for others to report back on bugs before deploying it to the field. FWIW, we have just over 2500 something APX series radios of various flavors, AN rev 6000s, BN 6000s, 6000Lis (BN), 6000XEs (AN), 7000s, APX8000/8000XE (all AN), APX4500, 7500 and a couple 8500s.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
We don't push the latest to all subscribers. I vet it on my radios and wait for others to report back on bugs before deploying it to the field.

This!

We test new firmware on any product in the lab using a standard set of scenarios first before being rolled out to a few sites. Once we’re happy that it’s working well, then it gets deployed.

With Motorola especially, I’d be hesitant to deploy any new firmware to the field without any sort of in-house testing. Motorola has made its customers the beta testers.

N0BDW

That's terrifying.

The reason for my question is that often when I speak with my sys admin he asks if I've been keeping up with the firmware updates and I usually have to reluctantly admit that I have not. It sounds like that isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world, though. I do tend to get to them about once a year, but at that point I put in whatever is the latest.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Like anything, there are risks to running out of date ancient firmware like R13, but not necessarily prudent to jump to 21.44 (most current as of this writing). 19.12 was fairly stable. But one must read ALL relevant MTNs and F/W release notes on prior and later versions to determine if any noted issues are relevant to your particular system release.

NVAGVUP

Feed Provider
In the old days (30+ years ago), Motorola used to extensively vet radios/platforms internally before release. This process may have taken years. Their is a reason these products were the "gold standard" of the era. The stuff worked and it was rare to have major issues. But as technology evolved more quickly, this routine no longer worked. Competition would release innovative/flashy offerings which surpassed the stagnant but reliable Moto radios. Motorola eventually followed suit, but at the expense of added bugs/quirks which were never experienced before in Moto product releases. We are now in the age of "hot fixes", whether it be radio firmware, cell phones, software or PC operating systems.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
RM is free for the first 100 radios. For that kind of number of radios, a regular PC is enough to host the server.
True, but the O/P may have a fun time spinning it up, getting their agency I.T. to open ports, firewall rules, etc. Been there, done that. My point is, it's not just a simple as downloading the CPS with RM. Much more to it.

hitechRadio

Just deploy a laptop, set it up with RM and a programming cable. And let the users do it. Need to pull all the radio's into RM first.
Bring laptop back to shop, make changes and redeploy laptop.
Only 50 radio's.
That would work fine ,,wouldn't it??

jthorpe

I manage a fleet of 4000 or so about to be 8000 and for me, unless there is a feature I need, I don't bother. The one time I did a firmware update was to enable the system revert for emergency and that was it. Otherwise, nah... thank god for RM though when I do have to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.