• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX NEXT XE Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRadioGuru

Going to be honest, I never really expected Motorola to make an XE version of the APX NEXT due to the way this radio is designed, yet here it is. I still have some reservations about using this in the fire side of things though, I believe this radio is better fit for the admin types.

Attachments

• apx_xe_green_back.png
    apx_xe_green_back.png
    83 KB · Views: 71
  • apx_xe_green_drama_2_white_screen.png
    apx_xe_green_drama_2_white_screen.png
    98.6 KB · Views: 81
  • apx_xe_green_front_white_screen.png
    apx_xe_green_front_white_screen.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 84
  • apx_xe_green_frt_3_4_rt.png
    apx_xe_green_frt_3_4_rt.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 84

mbnv992

I’m going to predict this now. This abomination will be in the same category as the Saber SI and XTS3500 of back in the day.

Seems that Motorola has a bunch of millennial college degree pencil pushers who has never worked in the field a day in their “privileged / everything offends me” lives - design this radio ( based on the iPhones they all carry ).

Don’t get me wrong - I’m a millennial myself - but I would also NEVER design a radio like that.

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
So the APX NEXT team at Motorola are a bunch of privileged and offended crack addicts with iPhones who have never worked in in the field a day in their lives? Got it.

The drama is thicc up in here.

K2NEC

who have never worked in in the field a day in their lives
Well I agree with this part...

Some officers/FFs/EMTs dont even know how to use a simple XTS5000, imagine how they would react if they were handed an APX NEXT.

radiomankc

And, the once pro-America, anti-foreign government, pro law enforcement company has given away the keys to the kingdom by embedding Android into this radio. I have the means to buy one but as a security professional I will NEVER add this radio to my collection. I mean seriously, succumb to Google’s side channel exploits and requirement for a public IP gateway? Oh, maybe they only use IP for OTAR???

We are doomed... Think the secret service or DoD will be using this radio.... Don’t think so. But if they do at some point, we are double doomed!
🙄🙄🙄

radiomankc

Good point. Or Google could permanently brick the radio so that someone has to buy a new one 💵💵💵

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry but I fail to see what's wrong with android???

Because there's nothing wrong with it. Android is an open source OS, that yes, while lead by Google, is not entirely beholden to them. They lost that war. This is more than likely an AOSP version. So what's the security issue?

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You forget that Motorola sales forces will just wine and dine the chief/city manager/whoever and make them realize that if they do not buy these radios for every public safety official and lawn mower driver in the parks department, that they are not "respecting public safety professionals". That the chief in town XYZ bought them for every officer and the janitor.

Of course we know that Motorola will also charge for Android upgrades (that will be mandatory) and only available from Motorola.

Nice idea, but I'll pass.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I truly think sometimes these engineers and product developers totally forgot the KISS principle

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I truly think sometimes these engineers and product developers totally forgot the KISS principle

Simple has been done, and all the money has been milked from that cow. So they have to keep developing ridiculous radios with ridiculous prices to squeeze taxpayer dollars out of the public.

Will be really interesting to see what they come up with after this radio so they can claim the current one is obsolete and -must- be replaced if you respect first responders...

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
Seems that Motorola has a bunch of millennial college degree pencil pushers who has never worked in the field a day in their “privileged / everything offends me” lives - design this radio ( based on the iPhones they all carry ).
I would have to agree with that

radiomankc

Android is considered open-source but that do any mean that Google has hooks into the entire phone. Do an experiment, turn off the mobile radio and leave the WiFi signal on at home. Then run ethereal on your home broadband connection and see how many times it contacts Google. You will s.t egg rolls sideways. Google is not our friend, it never was and never will be.
and don’t forget, 75% of apps in the marketplace are spyware. Google doesn’t vet their apps. Good thing Apple does put on major scrutiny before they give a green light on an app in the Apple Store..

Just the facts ma’am....

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Android is considered open-source but that do any mean that Google has hooks into the entire phone.

If it's a Google platform of Android that might be true, but if it's a Motorola developed AOSP version of Android then that's highly doubtful and I'm sure the security is there and sufficient. And Apple is no saint. You're talking about a company that bases it's whole device business model on built-in obsolescence, deceptive (and borderline illegal) practices to discourage repair, and engineers including the loss of your data and bricking of your device in 100 ways into their design so you end up having to buy a new device. Not to mention Apple's flagship security chips have now been compromised.

Simple has been done, and all the money has been milked from that cow. So they have to keep developing ridiculous radios with ridiculous prices to squeeze taxpayer dollars out of the public.

Yup.

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
Yet another reason why I switched to apple.

Android is considered open-source but that do any mean that Google has hooks into the entire phone. Do an experiment, turn off the mobile radio and leave the WiFi signal on at home. Then run ethereal on your home broadband connection and see how many times it contacts Google. You will s.t egg rolls sideways. Google is not our friend, it never was and never will be.
and don’t forget, 75% of apps in the marketplace are spyware. Google doesn’t vet their apps. Good thing Apple does put on major scrutiny before they give a green light on an app in the Apple Store..

Just the facts ma’am....

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, I fully expect Motorola to be running their own version of Android that will be highly locked down. That'll translate into only being able to get Android upgrades for that radio direct from Motorola.

And knowing Motorola….
-Those upgrades will NOT be free. They will find a way to charge you for them, likely via some subscription based service.
-Motorola will find a way to require frequent upgrades
-It -will- get hacked. Prove me wrong.

I've been around Motorola long enough to know that they are not doing this because they think it's the wave of the future. They are doing it because they see it as a way to lock users into the Motorola marketing system and milk money from them for as long as possible.

Again, prove me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.