• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wd9cms

Do the APX7000 and the APX7500 dual band radios allow you to simultaneously receive on both bands at the same time??? If so can you transmit on one band and continue to receive traffic on the other band??? It is unclear if this is the case in any of the literature that I have seen on these radios.

Thanks,
Bill

(Sorry I cannot figure out how to change the title on the thread. If a mod can help please correct!!!!!)

Last edited:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Would be pretty hard to understand if your receiving two transmissions at the same time

ILMRadioMan

Much like ANY radio you cant hear two transmissions "simultaneously" whether on the same band or not.

However, you CAN listen to 800, then (once its done) listen to the other band of the split (VHF, UHF, etc...) without changing anything (I.E. scan, etc..)

colby4601

Much like ANY radio you cant hear two transmissions "simultaneously" whether on the same band or not.

However, you CAN listen to 800, then (once its done) listen to the other band of the split (VHF, UHF, etc...) without changing anything (I.E. scan, etc..)

Dual band ham radio?

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
The portable does not act like a dual band amateur radio where 2 bands can be monitored at the same time, but if you put in in scan it will do both bands as long as they are both conventional.

wd9cms

The current XTL5000 dual band radio consist of two independent XTL5000's with a single W3 controller. I can listen to both VHF and UHF at the same time since the are two independent radios. Are these radios two independent radios or can you use only one band at a time. This is similar to dual band ham radio that can simultaneously listen to both VHF and UHF at the same time.

ILMRadioMan

The current XTL5000 dual band radio consist of two independent XTL5000's with a single W3 controller. I can listen to both VHF and UHF at the same time since the are two independent radios. Are these radios two independent radios or can you use only one band at a time. This is similar to dual band ham radio that can simultaneously listen to both VHF and UHF at the same time.

Thats a good question.

I have installed and programmed these setups, but I can only remember it listening on one or the other, not both.

ThePagerGeek

Premium Subscriber
APX: It can receive only 1 channel at a time, regardless of band. Think of it as a normal scanner. The channels in the bank / zone can be mixed band. Ch1 V, Ch2 U, Ch3 V, Ch4 V, Ch5 U for example.

XTL5000 Dual Radio W3: Can receive 2 channels at the same time, assuming they are opposite bands. You must toggle between radios to get to the other band.

Hope that helps.

tpg

Mr_Observer

The portable does not act like a dual band amateur radio where 2 bands can be monitored at the same time, but if you put in in scan it will do both bands as long as they are both conventional.

I have no problems scanning 800 trunked talkgroups and VHF conventional channels in the same scan list.

Luis_R

I have no problems scanning 800 trunked talkgroups and VHF conventional channels in the same scan list.

APX is the first series of radios by Motorola to be able to do this. Previous models required multiple scan lists for different systems and could only scan within that system.

ILMRadioMan

Are you 100% sure? Have you tried? I was told you could. Can you supply info that supports your answer? Would greatly appreciate it.

Unless I misunderstand your point, then it is very easy to scan multiple trunked systems in one scan list.

The entire ASTRO 25 series of Motorola radios has this feature.

New scan list

Talkgroup scan

Multisystem scan.

N

N_Jay

Conventional Scan when in a Trunked system has been around for a long time.
It is not recommended for Public Safety use due to the length of time you are off the trunked system and the chance of missing a message.

The APX is no different it just ads the opportunity for the channels to be on different bands. (still only one at a time.)

Mr_Observer

Conventional Scan when in a Trunked system has been around for a long time.
It is not recommended for Public Safety use due to the length of time you are off the trunked system and the chance of missing a message.

The APX is no different it just ads the opportunity for the channels to be on different bands. (still only one at a time.)

This is correct. When the scan is configured as "Conventional Scan" you also lose the ability to have a priority scan list member.

I have not yet tried a multi-system scan list on the APX. Might have to try that.

MR_O

wd9cms

Thanks for all the replies!!! I think that I am going to stick with the dual band XTL5000 W3 mobile configuration for now. The handheld situation will end up being XTS5000 primary and APX as the interop radio...

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.