• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Trunking Alias

hperrenot

Premium Subscriber
My agency recently moved to the Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) trunking system. Before we were on conventional so when radios were programmed, it had your specific ID number associated with the radio for everyone to see when speaking.

Looking to do the same thing with LCRA, but they assign the UID number.
Is there an "easy" was that I can create alias' for all the UID numbers in my radio? We are not a "big" agency so having to deploy this manually to all radios is not at all a concern.

Using APX8000xe and APX85000

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

hperrenot

Premium Subscriber
Over the air alias updates is awesome....Do they support it on the system ?
They might, but we do not have it as we have three radio techs including myself. We build the codeplugs and roll out updates just as fast as OTA could practically.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
No over the air alias is part of the data stream. The alias pops up on the display when someone talks with whats in the system. If someone changes the alias in the master site it will automatically change in the radio. This is not over the air reprogramming.

But back to your question yet you can use unified call list to add alias list to your users.

hperrenot

Premium Subscriber
e alias pops up on the display when someone talks with whats in the syste
Ah I understand what you mean.
Unfortunately, we do not have access to this..at least not that I have been made aware of.
LCRA is a huge company with thousands of users, I'm sure if we moved someone into an different unit or assigned a new radio, they would not be able to make the changes within a reasonable amount of time.

Definitely something that I will be asking about in the future though.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
No over the air alias is part of the data stream

The recent revisions of the Motorola systems can push aliases over the air. The subscriber has to be optioned for 'group services' and the system has to be configured for it. There is a checkbox in the recent APX CPS versions to enable OTA alias display and updating.

I am not sure if the Harris system run by LCRA has a similar feature, but if they did I would doubt it would be compatible with a Motorola subscriber, or anything other than a Harris one.

NVAGVUP

Feed Provider
Ah I understand what you mean.
Unfortunately, we do not have access to this..at least not that I have been made aware of.
LCRA is a huge company with thousands of users, I'm sure if we moved someone into an different unit or assigned a new radio, they would not be able to make the changes within a reasonable amount of time.

Definitely something that I will be asking about in the future though.
I use this feature and it is a god send. Several dependencies.

1-System License. Currently allowed on our system no charge. But it is very likely it will be a license cost in future upgrades (And I won't be w/o it)
2-Subscriber Feature. (Need to have it in subscriber.) Available in APX only. Purchased at time of sale or via flash upgrade.
3-Subscriber/CPS programming. Need to check the right boxes
4-Provisioning Manager. Needs to be enabled in a Radio Capability Profile

End result is radio users (with feature) will see the radio alias of other radios. (Just like MCC consoles see)

Yes I know this can be done via UCL. BUT will radio names update after changing in PM? If you have group services active, the answer is yes. (The answer is no when leveraging UCL only)

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber

1-System License. Currently allowed on our system no charge. But it is very likely it will be a license cost in future upgrades (And I won't be w/o it)
2-Subscriber Feature. (Need to have it in subscriber.) Available in APX only. Purchased at time of sale or via flash upgrade.

End result is radio users (with feature) will see the radio alias of other radios. (Just like MCC consoles see)

Yes I know this can be done via UCL. BUT will radio names update after changing in PM? If you have group services active, the answer is yes. (The answer is no when leveraging UCL only)

The system he is on (LCRA) is a Harris system, so I would imagine he will have to stick to the UCL local aliasing method.

NVAGVUP

Feed Provider
The system he is on (LCRA) is a Harris system, so I would imagine he will have to stick to the UCL local aliasing method.
UCL it is! (On a Harris system, Group services would be a waste of money for Motorola subscribers. Group services is NOT P25 compliant)

retired25

We purchased the group services feature with our last batch of radios. I believe it has been setup in the network core. I see the aliases in our wave app. Where do I need to look in CPS to enable it on the radios? TIA.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
We purchased the group services feature with our last batch of radios. I believe it has been setup in the network core. I see the aliases in our wave app. Where do I need to look in CPS to enable it on the radios? TIA.

jVx9WLYDkkDt1g6X.png

retired25

Thank you for the reply, I was able to get it working with your help! I guess I wasn't being patient enough, it takes a few RX rounds before it displays the name.