• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX with a prior system key

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a APX mobile to use as a station radio. It came with prior programming and system key. I sent it to our county for re-programming. They are saying they can not re-programing with out the prior system key. Is there a way to re-program it or wipe it?

Last edited:

tyler3328

I am assuming you posted this on one of the facebook groups as well. They explained there on what to do. There are a couple different Options

- Contact Prior owner of device to see if their Sys Admin can removed the system.
- If device was written with an ASK, then have them remove it.

- Have your Sys Admin leave the other system there and just add a new trunking system.

- Send to MSI and have them clear the device. Be warned that if you go with this method it will return to you with the newest FW release and written with a Flashcode that matches what they have on file. (Yes MSI keeps track of Devices and Purchased updates)

DO NOT send it to someone that says "Oh I can get rid of that for you." There are plenty of them out there and yes they may be able to get rid of it but most of them use software that is highly frowned upon. And if an Sys Admin sees that it was tagged with said software there is a chance that they will not allow device on the system until MSI can Verify Device.

Last edited:

tyler3328

I agree. Reason i didn’t mention stolen as i have seen radios that you would assume stolen or lost that were legitimately surplus. I have even seen APX7000 or 6000 become surplus from agencies upgrading to APX8000. And also didn’t mention stolen as i am also going off his comments on Facebook as well.

Most agencies do wipe but i have seen plenty that do not get wiped as they resell to public safety agencies. Most of them clear out key data and leave programming. It is a security issue i agree but it happens. And unfortunately since we aren’t their Sys Admin there’s not much we can do about it

tyler3328

Contact the prior agency to make sure it isn't stolen.

Most agencies wipe radios back to default before selling them.

I agree. Reason i didn’t mention stolen as i have seen radios that you would assume stolen or lost that were legitimately surplus. I have even seen APX7000 or 6000 become surplus from agencies upgrading to APX8000. And also didn’t mention stolen as i am also going off his comments on Facebook as well.

Most agencies do wipe but i have seen plenty that do not get wiped as they resell to public safety agencies. Most of them clear out key data and leave programming. It is a security issue i agree but it happens. And unfortunately since we aren’t their Sys Admin there’s not much we can do about it

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Do the APX radios differ from XTS radios with regards to removing trunk systems? Baring no ASK is in play, say one purchases an APX that was not wiped clean of a trunked system. With XTS radios and prior, one could just add a new blank system and then delete all others. System keys were not needed to delete trunk systems that were unwanted.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Do the APX radios differ from XTS radios with regards to removing trunk systems? Baring no ASK is in play, say one purchases an APX that was not wiped clean of a trunked system. With XTS radios and prior, one could just add a new blank system and then delete all others. System keys were not needed to delete trunk systems that were unwanted.
An ASK can restrict ANY writing to the radio. There are a few steps to remove an ASK from a radio which involves using the ASK that placed it.

Yes some shops are lazy and might wipe the radio but forget the added step of removing the ASK.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø

Yes it is the same process to do this to remove the trunked system and set it to the default 0001.

I am assuming you posted this on one of the facebook groups as well. They explained there on what to do. There are a couple different Options

- Contact Prior owner of device to see if their Sys Admin can removed the system.
- If device was written with an ASK, then have them remove it.

- Have your Sys Admin leave the other system there and just add a new trunking system.

- Send to MSI and have them clear the device. Be warned that if you go with this method it will return to you with the newest FW release and written with a Flashcode that matches what they have on file. (Yes MSI keeps track of Devices and Purchased updates)

DO NOT send it to someone that says "Oh I can get rid of that for you." There are plenty of them out there and yes they may be able to get rid of it but most of them use software that is highly frowned upon. And if an Sys Admin sees that it was tagged with said software there is a chance that they will not allow device on the system until MSI can Verify Device.
I have contacted the radio shop from out west that sold and has contact with original programmer. Just waiting for a reply. Thank you for the information

I have contacted the radio shop from out west that sold and has contact with original programmer. Just waiting for a reply. Thank you for the information
I posted here first then someone told me to try the other page. I didn't think this was such a vollitale subject. Radio background, this is an APX4500 taken in on trade for upgraded radios. It appears he only checked a few before he re-sold them. We send all our radios to our county radio (Sheriff's Dept) from program. I would think they would know the status of the radio before we would. We are volunteer dept forced to move up in band. Used radios are all we can afford, hence 4500s. We can't even talk to surrounding towns but at least there's some safety being able to talk to each other. I apologise for the ruckus, but curiosity got me.

Status
Not open for further replies.