• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX4000 G996 feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tino0201

Hello all, I am currently trying to get the G996 feature added to my APX4000. I am going back and forth with a Motorola distributor through my department trying to get the feature ordered and they are saying it will take several weeks... Any help will be truly appreciated. G996 is the over the air programming feature. Need it for our county trunking system we operate on.

K2NEC

I would contact you system admin to see if he can help with that. You should have been issued a radio through County.

RocketNJ

Trying to figure out why Moto is giving you the run around...
I've had radios and fill out the necessary form for flash upgrades. Never an issue.

Also my question was because some system admins do not allow individuals to have personal radios on the system.

Tino0201

Trying to figure out why Moto is giving you the run around...
I've had radios and fill out the necessary form for flash upgrades. Never an issue.

Also my question was because some system admins do not allow individuals to have personal radios on the system.
I’m trying to understand too and I hear ya. Instead of trying to purchase as an agency would it be easier to purchase privately or would that be possible?

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
So the APX 4000 does not belong to you, it was issued to you by your agency? If this is the case, the radio folks in your county or whoever they contract with should be handling this type of upgrade to a radio. Flash upgrades are normally not something the typical end user of these radios would be doing themselves.

Tino0201

So the APX 4000 does not belong to you, it was issued to you by your agency? If this is the case, the radio folks in your county or whoever they contract with should be handling this type of upgrade to a radio. Flash upgrades are normally not something the typical end user of these radios would be doing themselves.
So like I stated. I’m dealing with the Motorola dealer near me and they are stating I’m going to have to wait for weeks. I’m trying to see if there is a way around that. Also, it’s not the counties radio. It’s my departments and I’m in charge of this aspect in my department so I was told to take care of it. I went to the county and they told me to get this feature into the radio and I would be set.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I think you might need some other flash additions for OTAP...my APX4000 that shipped for OTAP has Q947 packet data interface...was added with G996 for eventual P25 trunked OTAP capability.

Paul

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
"A couple of weeks" is typical when ordering Motorola FLASH upgrades. The dealer gets the info from the customer (options needed, radio model, serial #, current FLASHcode, etc.), and the order goes to MSI. They create a custom USB dongle that contains the features, and eventually get around to sending it back to the dealer along with a disc containing the latest firmware.

So yeah, you're not getting "the run around" from your dealer. FLASH upgrades are specific to each individual radio, they don't just have generic upgrades sitting around waiting to go.

Tino0201

"A couple of weeks" is typical when ordering Motorola FLASH upgrades. The dealer gets the info from the customer (options needed, radio model, serial #, current FLASHcode, etc.), and the order goes to MSI. They create a custom USB dongle that contains the features, and eventually get around to sending it back to the dealer along with a disc containing the latest firmware.

So yeah, you're not getting "the run around" from your dealer. FLASH upgrades are specific to each individual radio, they don't just have generic upgrades sitting around waiting to go.
Ok. Thank you for the clarification. Much appreciated.

N4KVE

When a person goes to a Moto shop looking for a “flash” yes it could take weeks. When a county tells their Moto rep that all 1000 of their radios need that same flash, you’d be surprised how quickly that happens. I was once involved in a situation where an entity needed 1200 radios upgraded. The next day we got the upgrade for all 1200 radios.

RocketNJ

So like I stated. I’m dealing with the Motorola dealer near me and they are stating I’m going to have to wait for weeks. I’m trying to see if there is a way around that.

It is best to go through Motorola for the legitimate Flash upgrade. You do not want a hacked radio being on a system where the system admin can brick your radio.

Certain systems have specific requirements for Flashcodes in radios. In Morris County where you live it allows the techs to be able to program a single or small batch of radios over the air without the need to go in the field. Also it makes codeplug template management a little easier when everything has the same Flashcode.

NVAGVUP

Feed Provider

THIS. Moto REQUIRES MN,SN, existing flashcode (Not what was purchased as radio could have been flashed after initial purchase) If any of this info does not match what was ordered, upgrade will fail.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
When a person goes to a Moto shop looking for a “flash” yes it could take weeks. When a county tells their Moto rep that all 1000 of their radios need that same flash, you’d be surprised how quickly that happens. I was once involved in a situation where an entity needed 1200 radios upgraded. The next day we got the upgrade for all 1200 radios.

I am watching the APX Next promos and wondering how many years your upgrades took using "Motomath" for non APX Next radios :p

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.