• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX6500

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR6

Has anyone heard of an APX6500 shutting down due to overheating??
Thank you in advance.

IMPRES2

If we are talking about a legit APX6500 still sealed from the factory, then I have not.
I practically cook one of my 6500's on a daily basis; locked inside of a black truck bolted to the dash in direct view of the sun from when it rises to when it sets. Some days the radio bakes all day until I start the vehicle late afternoon. The casing get's hot enough to burn your hand, and occasionally the O5 display will darken on me. But I have never known my 6500 to shut down.

portroyalbirdy

Premium Subscriber
I'm a member of my local volunteer fire department, however I'm physically disabled in a wheelchair. I don't let that bother me though! So I do the "technical" end of the station stuff. One day, my brother and I took our engine out and were doing some pump training with a mutual aid department for most of the morning. We wrapped up a few hours later and on our way back home we got hit out for an MVA in our other mutual aid departments territory. About half way to the call the engines mobile just stopped working. (A APX6500 "05" Dual Head") It had power at first, just no audio. so we grabbed a portable and did our thing. We were then directed to set up a Landing Zone for a local medical helicopter. Once they landed (They had to wait a bit for the EMS units to arrive) I powered off the radio, and my brother made sure that no cables were pinched/tight and unplugged/replugged the speaker wire. It worked again for 15mins or so, then same issues. Then on the way back it kept rebooting on its own and eventually gave is a code and the screens went red. So we called our local Moto shop to take a look. (To try and make a longer story a bit shorter! Haha!) He came to find out that one of their guys (I won't say who, because they have since "Made it Right" and the tech that did it got fired) used ****ty foil tape under the cab and between us pumping that day and us running the LZ, the motor heat (Detroit 6V92) basically melted all the wires! Needless to say, they basically had to reinstall everything! And they Reran/Shielded EVERYTHING this time around!

Last edited:

PACNWDude

Interesting story above. Have never had an APX series Motorola shut off due to heat. However, I have had a few people havve them shut down due to not enough amperage for power, which they thought was due to heat. This happened after the unit was in a hot vehicle, had been in use for a while, and was physically hot to the touch. Those cases do get hot, and act as a great heat sink.

65 Watt model was being starved on its power amperage and was shutting down, flickering the control head display, and power cycling as a result. Great radio once you give it the amps as well as voltage they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.