• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX7000 either doesn't key or gives dreaded tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruiseomatic

Where I work, I use the aforementioned radio with a stubby antenna. Occasionally, When I key it up either its doesn't make a sound, Or, sounds off with the failure to connect tone. Sometimes, I have to hit the key multiple times for it to do anything. Shows signal strength but still does it. Without giving up what I do or where, This is unacceptable for this to happen as often as it does. I don't have a radio in the truck just handheld with speaker mic. How can I reduce this from happening? It does it with the speaker mic or on the radio its self. Our other radio does it aswell. And before someone says it, No, I'm not trying to key up with another unit when this happens. Anyone have any ideas?

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
Cryptic questions get cryptic answers. :wink:

Trunking we presume.

7/800 we presume.

Is the system designed for portable coverage?

Has your radio been aligned lately?

Have you discussed this with the system owner/operator?

Cruiseomatic

Yes,
Yes,
To the best of my knowledge, Yes.
That, I don't know. Never (yet) I would presume as our municipality just went to the new digital system same time everyone else around here did.
Closest to that would be our "in house" Radio dept guy and I work nights so no. My colleagues aren't as "radio savvy" as I am so they don't know to say anything.
I'm usually the one to bring up equipment problems and honestly, Tired of being "that guy".

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
So it's more than likely 1A7 then, either Zone 1/2 (Harris County) or Zone 3 (City of Houston).

I'd get with either the county or the city to be sure a) noting is wrong with your radio and b) nothing is wrong with whichever site you are affiliated to.

Cruiseomatic

Zone 2 is what we run on. If it were site specific, ALOT of us would have the same problem. I'm thinking honestly its the stubby antenna and how it has to connect to the closest site simplex style with no "In car repeater". And we have our "own" site in town.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Zone 2 is what we run on. If it were site specific, ALOT of us would have the same problem. I'm thinking honestly its the stubby antenna and how it has to connect to the closest site simplex style with no "In car repeater". And we have our "own" site in town.
Then the beat course would be to put the OEM long antenna back on the unit and check your service and coverage to see if it improves if it does yiu have your answer l.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Cruiseomatic

Just trying to find a "simple" solution to over come this. Maybe not wearing it on my belt and leaving it up higher in the truck? But if I did that, When I went out on scene, I would probably forget it in the truck and not have it on me when they call or I would need it and not have it. I would if I had the stock replacement. I found one in a drawer but its cracked all over bad, Lol. You can see the wire spring inside its that bad. i'll see if I can find one online and just use put it on when I'm at work. Hope they're not Motorola style expensive.

mm

Have you tried a public safety spkr mic?

If you use a public safety speaker mic then you can leave the radio clipped to your belt and have the antenna on the speaker mic where it will be up in the air and above your waist.

The pub safety spkr mic may be your only solution but they aren't Motorola cheap, price wise that is.

mm

Ok but you said that maybe not wearing the radio on your belt and leaving it up higher in the truck may fix it.

I read this meaning that the antenna is down low on the radio clipped to your hip and not on the speaker mic which would place the antenna up high above your body.

You did mentioned that the antenna cover is missing and the antenna element is exposed if this is true then I would try a new antenna on the speaker mic.

Cruiseomatic

Maybe should of been more clear.... I found an old antenna in a drawer that's full size. Our speaker mics don't have antennas like the old ones do.

mm

That's most likely your problem then.

The Regular speaker mic works with the antenna attached to the radio while with the PSSM you have an antenna that is up in the air on top of the mic.

You at least need to try a PSSM and get the new antenna up in the air and away from your hip.

RBMTS

My suggestion is that you contact the system administrator. It could be that your talk group or radio ID is set to a very low priority for system access. Thus if your site is busy handling radio traffic, you'll have limited access in between higher priority "first responder" radio grants.

The administrators are in place to make sure the system works for everyone. If you are having system access problems, they should be the ones to fix it for you whether it be a system issue or a hardware (antenna) issue.

Just my two cents.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
It could also be a busy honk also (too many talkgroups talking at the sametime). Public Service Mike has the radio antenna on the mike. If you have the antenna on the walkie and the walkie down in the seat that may be your problem also.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator

Since you have your "own site" (this implies a single site, again guessing), I'd put good money on it isn't designed for in-car portable coverage, especially not using a "stubby: antenna.

Suggestions to swap antennas are worth paying attention to, but if it wasn't designed for portable use in a vehicle you may be spinning your wheels.

I'd really suggest getting with Harris County and discussing it with them.

Cruiseomatic

My suggestion is that you contact the system administrator. It could be that your talk group or radio ID is set to a very low priority for system access. Thus if your site is busy handling radio traffic, you'll have limited access in between higher priority "first responder" radio grants.

The administrators are in place to make sure the system works for everyone. If you are having system access problems, they should be the ones to fix it for you whether it be a system issue or a hardware (antenna) issue.

Just my two cents.

We run on local PD talkgroup. The municipality has, Not sure if it their own but its posted on PD property and I believe is part of TxWarn. Giving away to many details on this but I believe its the failure to connect tone and the only thing that will fix it is the standard antenna. Looking on ebay now for one.Thanks for the advice though.

Staying cryptic as I don't want employer to find out I'm asking why the radio is "failing" in the field and not asking them first. As again, I'm usually "that guy" to find the failure points in things and bringing it to their attention.
Thanks again. If I have anymore questions, I'll be sure to bring them here first. And with what little details I have provided, Most of you already knew what I was talking about. Nice. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.