• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX7000 P25 Multi-Band Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

wd9cms

I just do not know about the APX handheld. First of all I am a die hard Motorola Fan but a two sided radio. Come on ...if you or I had suggested a two sided radio we would be laughed out of the room. Motorola makes one and everyone is excited about it??? I guess I can rubber band two XTS5000's back to back if not three in a triangle and have a dual or tri-band radio. The tri-band triangle version would have three mics, speakers, displays, and band specific antennas ... Come on Motorola!!!

N

N_Jay

Not sure what problem people have with the APX.

Having played with one, I am not sure they could have come up with a better solution to a large display and large speaker on a moderately sized radio.

Of course, maybe they could have done something with a ducted speaker like the only PageBoyII had. That was relatively loud for the size of the speaker opening. But then, again, not nearly as loud as a Minitor with the big speaker.

Maybe Bill knows some design trick that was missed?;);)

wd9cms

I guess I am asking for to much (or expecting to much) from a company that has designed cell phones with full keypads and larger displays that are a 10th of the size and tri-band. I guess was expecting something revolutionary from Motorola not something that is almost two radios rubber banded together. My bad....

waynedc

Premium Subscriber
...The APX website is pretty cool but the radio itself brings nothing new to the table. Sure, it's rugged and submersible. But aren't all radios? Maybe I'm just jaded. Bad experience with Motorola in my county and terrible customer service/follow-up.

The APX series radios do bring P25 Phase II TDMA technology to the table. Google that and find out what that will do to the casual monitoring interests. Please correct me if I am wrong but the Phase II standards haven't been finalized, Phase II has not been tested in the fire service world where other digital and trunked systems have had problems, and there are very few Phase II (Motorola version of the standard) systems out there. There is at least one big 7000 + user system planned in Southern Arizona...

N

N_Jay

Motorola's pre-phase 2 (called X-2) uses the same vocoder as Phase 2, so it should be a good test for the technology.

The APX has some interesting noise suppression that should also help the situation.

We will have to see how it pans out. The nature of the the issue is that those who want it to fail will always find a way, and those who want it to pass will always find a way.

mancow

Database Admin
I guess I am asking for to much (or expecting to much) from a company that has designed cell phones with full keypads and larger displays that are a 10th of the size and tri-band. I guess was expecting something revolutionary from Motorola not something that is almost two radios rubber banded together. My bad....

Those phones generate a 10th of the power output too so I don't see how you can make the comparison in that regard.

As for the APX, the audio is phenomenal. I was shocked at the amount of audio and the clarity produced by the unit while it was tuned to a P25 conventional channel.

The two sided design is pretty revolutionary in my opinion. I see the same thing being done every day at my place of employment. Most patrol Officers place their model III Ht1250s backward in the holder to protect the front from damage and prevent accidental button presses. However, they will use the display and front controls when the situation dictates such as non uniform duties, surveillance, in building duties such as desk jobs etc... There are plenty of times that you don't need a display and keypad and plenty that you do. Why choose when you can have both? Plus, the radio has microphones on each side. It uses the far facing one to sample environmental noise so it can be used out of phase as background noise reduction.

Ken_Irwin

Anyone programmed an APX7k yet?

I have received shipment on 20 APX7k and this is the first time I have been able to actually hold one. I have not received the programming software yet so I'm a little confused as to how you access either of the bands. My assumption is that as you program channels in zones, you choose the band at that point so talking on 800 MHz or VHF is transparent to the user. That a safe assumption? The VHF is going to be legacy analog and I'm wondering if you have to program analog vs digital on different bands or you can mix A&D in same zone. Seems like you ought to be able.

So, has anyone actually set a unit up for 800 & VHF and could shed some light for me 'till I get my hands on software?

KB9LIQ

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
These radios are okay, the audio is good and it is nice sometimes to only carry one radio to hear several bands but most times I would carry several single band radios. The radio cost to much but as long as the taxpayer is buying them I will use it off and on

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I have received shipment on 20 APX7k and this is the first time I have been able to actually hold one. I have not received the programming software yet so I'm a little confused as to how you access either of the bands. My assumption is that as you program channels in zones, you choose the band at that point so talking on 800 MHz or VHF is transparent to the user. That a safe assumption? The VHF is going to be legacy analog and I'm wondering if you have to program analog vs digital on different bands or you can mix A&D in same zone. Seems like you ought to be able.

So, has anyone actually set a unit up for 800 & VHF and could shed some light for me 'till I get my hands on software?

I have a demo unit set up for both 800 and VHF in the same zone. It is no different that the normal programming of CPS except that Motorola decided to put the conventional frequencies back into the personality, with the difference being from the XTS3K/AS CPS, you can put more than 1 frequency into a personality.

As to the Zone assignment, it is no different than the legacy CPS versions and again yes you can mix 800/700 conventional, trunking, and VHF in the same zone.

My next experiment is to see how the scan works across the bands. I already know that you can't mix the trunking & conventional, but I didn't try cross band conventional scanning.

The VHF antenna is a pain in the arm pit. Even in the bottom pocket of my cargo shorts it sticks up very high and looks like your carrying a low band portable...lol One important piece of information is that the antennas on the Astro line do not work on the APX radio. The radio doesn't perform very well at all on any of the bands.

Mark

Last edited:

radioman407

my fire department is thinking about buying the APX 7000. what are the prices? we use 453 and 154 bands and cover two counties... what do you guys think?

tafische

Feed Provider
radioman407 - I dont believe they have a VHF/UHF version -- nor would you want to spend the money for these models for conventional VHF/UHF. They have a VHF/700&800 model, and a UHF/800&800 model. As far as price - if you have to ask - you cant afford them...(Just kidding)...but they do cost a small fortune.

So far, testing is good. Much clearer quality that previous models. My only concern so far is the perceived complexity of the unit can be overwhelming for the guys in the field.

Have not tried it, but I would think there would not be an issue with cross band scanning being as they can reside together in the same zone.

Pic comparing form factor to old MT2000.

Attachments

• apx.jpg
    apx.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 13,578

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Can anybody who actually has one of these radios send me a codeplug? I have a radio tech for a local police department who wants to take the CPS for a spin but needs a default codeplug.

PM me and I will give you my email address.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
my fire department is thinking about buying the APX 7000. what are the prices? we use 453 and 154 bands and cover two counties... what do you guys think?

Govt pricing for a fully stocked 700/800 with either UHF or VHF, dual display, with P25 trunking and CAI P25 conventional will set you back around 6 grand. The same model radio with single band, single display and conventional is around $2500.

For those or you who think that 6 grand is high, you can fully equip an XTS5K the same way with all the same features and it would only be a single band radio for around the same price.

With that being said, if you have a multi-band requirement, need access to a 3600 baud SmartZone/Smartnet system, and only want to carry 1 radio then this is the cat's meow.

Yes they will be coming out with a VHF/UHF version and I just received my agency's pricing for the 700/800/UHF version.

Mark

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
The battery I have here is the NNTN7038 that is LiIon 2900mAH.
I go on receive for about 3 days straight without a recharge.

radio_rob_nj

It's my job to listen
Premium Subscriber
UHF will be out soon, I'm sure. There are a lot of technical challenges associated with making a radio
that operates from 136 MHz all the way up to 870 MHz in one radio, and the antenna challenges alone
are considerable and not the least of those challenges.

I'm sure that Motorola will produce a VHF/UHF/700-800 version pretty soon. But not before they've got
the bugs worked out and have a reliable radio that works as well as individual radios in each band.

Elroy

Good luck with that. Radios that have seen their End Of Life still have not had the bugs worked out of them.

Baylink

Premium Subscriber
Ok; someone just brought this up in a new thread, which I've linked over here... so, what was the verdict? Is anyone using these in production service now, and how's that working out for you?

What do the ground-pounders think of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.