• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX7000 P25 Multi-Band Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, should not take that long. Doesn't matter out of the box or fielded, CPS generates a complete new codeplug that overwritest the old.

My current interop radios are 21 zones, 16 systems and a few conventional personailities and is only 147k in size and drops in without a problem. Loading keys from a KVL should only take 3 secs once its hooked up to the radio.

I use USB for everything except the XTS5000 which my trusty serial cable works well with. Again, same amount of programming time.

AKBMW

"Loading keys from a KVL should only take 3 secs once its hooked up to the radio."

How many keys are you loading?

PJH

Premium Subscriber
7 in astro25 mode. On a few radios that u still use pid takes just as long

mikegilbert

MHz so good
Programming a P25 mobile XTL out of the box with a 17 zone code plug using an advanced system key and then encrypting it with over 16 keys takes over 5 minutes.

You're definitely doing something wrong there- or using a garbage computer.

I have 39 zones- each with their own voice tag, and several encryption keys loaded in my 7000xe. My write times are less than 30 seconds. Something doesn't add up here. Also, the codeplug is NOT encrypted. Not sure what you're talking about.

That being said, I absolutely LOVE the larger top display on the XE.

My wishlist for the APX7000:

• Larger font for ID display
  • Add a dynamic scan list for the dynamic zone
  • Do away with the "radio params" FPP submenu
  • How about some 2-tone decode, Motorola?!

8159756843_3c5b7631a2_b.jpg

8159698947_b441027752_c.jpg

8159699169_d913d9c4c2_c.jpg

AKBMW

I am programming with a USB cable and use an advanced USB system key to protect the code plug from being rewritten without one. I then use a KVL4000 to insert several AES256 encrypting keys. From the time the programming is put on until the encryption cable is removed takes a few minutes. I clocked encrypting it at 2 min 55 sec for 17 AES keys. I never said I was "encrypting" the codeplug.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
Rewording that definitely helped- you made it sound as if the codeplug was encrypted and took 5 minutes to load. I really do love the new CPS layout. Not having to make a spreadsheet to keep track of personalities is a big plus.

W2NJS

Mike Gilbert wrote above:

"My wishlist for the APX7000:

Larger font for ID display
Add a dynamic scan list for the dynamic zone
Do away with the "radio params" FPP submenu
How about some 2-tone decode, Motorola?!"

MY request would be for a definite method to control the font size of the front display. My 7000
seems to have a mind of its own when it decides on the bold font vs. the lighter font. Maybe it's
related to the proportional spacing of the letters, but I'd like to be able to select the bold vs.
light font when I'm FPP'ing the unit. Anyone have any information about this?

PJH

Premium Subscriber
That was introduced around fw6? and that exactly why... you can have 14 characters and some just take up more room than others

Prior it was different and was more uniform, but I think the thought process was at least you can get bigger with smaller words.

I'd like to see full use of the top and RSM displays so you can get bigger text on those...instead of having to support the symbols. Waste of dot matrix space.

hitechRadio

I am programming with a USB cable and use an advanced USB system key to protect the code plug from being rewritten without one. I then use a KVL4000 to insert several AES256 encrypting keys. From the time the programming is put on until the encryption cable is removed takes a few minutes. I clocked encrypting it at 2 min 55 sec for 17 AES keys. I never said I was "encrypting" the codeplug.

I understood what you were saying.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
I'd like to see full use of the top and RSM displays so you can get bigger text on those...instead of having to support the symbols. Waste of dot matrix space.

I am glad they finally got rid of the radio ID constantly showing on the top display. On mine, it alternates for 30 seconds or so, then goes away.

I understood what you were saying.

Would you like a RadioReference 'feel good' achievement badge or something?

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Yeah that was annoying. I wouldn't mind the zone alternating to go away either, or at least be user selectable in the CPS. All my work channels have channel annoucement and the zones have it too. No need to look down and not see the channel on the non VA zones.

Almost want to kill display ID too for the top display. Thats annoying.

hitechRadio

I am glad they finally got rid of the radio ID constantly showing on the top display. On mine, it alternates for 30 seconds or so, then goes away.

Would you like a RadioReference 'feel good' achievement badge or something?

Sure, they have something like that? I guess when you work on Astro P25 sytems for a living, your learn to think in simple terms and not overthink it.
Not sure how you could misunderstand him, a radio from out of the box, and putting it active on a system ready to go, takes awhile. Yeah the APX CP upload takes a few seconds, but then you have to wait for the radio to decompress the file. Then grab the KVL boot it up hook it up load keys. It all takes time. I am not even including time going in to the UCS and activating the radio entering serial number and finding an ID.
It just that you Assume Quote, "your computer is crap" I dought it is a crappy comp if he can even get APX software on it.
Then you make a sarcastic remark to me, "Would you like a RadioReference 'feel good' achievement badge or something?". I was just trying to point out to him that he was not an idot, although not stated. I am sure you made him feel that way. But I degress I am sure he is more than capable of defending himself. I guess I just expect more curt from people. TTFN

Last edited:

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Actually, for a few of us on here that *are* involved in system administration and high level programming and the such, I think we did the best that we could with the information the way it was given.

Dropping in a codeplug the was the FW was rewritten and how it downloads is quick. Then talking about the encryption the way it was appeared seemed odd.

Takes my keyloader seconds to turn on. Also it takes seconds to plug a cable in. If you have a pre planned way of programming and enabling id's it should be pretty painless.

Last edited:

hitechRadio

PJH you where constructive in the conversation, asking questions and conversing with AKBMW.
Time wise is no concern to me, as I think we all understand that the APX is no GP series by any means.

Then MikeGilbert jumps in nonconstructive and writes and Quote: "You're definitely doing something wrong there- or using a GARBAGE COMPUTER. I have 39 zones- each with their own voice tag, and several encryption keys loaded in my 7000xe. My write times are less than 30 seconds. Something doesn't add up here. Also, the codeplug is NOT encrypted. Not sure what you're talking about."

All I said is I understood what he was saying, From box to go takes a while. Not sure if AKBMW is a Sys Admin like I am though sounds like he is.
And then Gilbert tells me sarcastically Quote:Would you like a RadioReference 'feel good' achievement badge or something?"

I wish Gilbert long life batteries for his APX to annoy many ham radio operators and scanner listeners with his infinite wisdom. Assuming he has a ham license and actually talks on the dang thing. I feel bad I should not wish that on those people.LOL

Those who think they know everything, annoy those of us that do! LOL

Last edited:

cabletech

Here again is another example of people disrespecting others and blasting them for what was or was not said, for what some one knows or does not know.

Come on people, all this is not only against forum ploicy, but it makes everyone like bad.

hitechRadio

Here again is another example of people disrespecting others and blasting them for what was or was not said, for what some one knows or does not know.

Come on people, all this is not only against forum ploicy, but it makes everyone like bad.

Agreed!!! I apolgize for my part!! I should of just let mikegilbert's comment to me go, but if you look his history, you would see y I couldn't.

So back to the, Regular scheduled chaos. LOL

I have heard that moto has a new portable antenna out for the APX VHF/7-800 GPS antenna that is a bit shorter. If this is true, does anyone have a part number? I guess I could call Moto but maybe someone here has it already.

TTFN

******Update the antenna is part number is NAR6594A and is 7.68inches long instead of around 9inches. For reference it is a little over .25inches longer than an 7/800 long antenna. Oh, I should mention the shorter V-7/800 DualBand antenna does have the GPS antenna in it also.

TTFN

Last edited:

kikito

Premium Subscriber
I wish Gilbert long life batteries for his APX to annoy many ham radio operators and scanner listeners with his infinite wisdom.

How about also letting go of your assumptions and 'superiority complex' that just because YOU are a radio tech, that makes everybody else on this site "just a dumb scanner enthusiast"?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
How do you guys feel about not crapping all over one of the few half-decently useful threads on RR?

Besides, if you want to talk about superiority complexes, none of you hold a candle to a certain TRBO-loving salesman who spells out his full name including alphabet soup credentials, manually on every post, instead of in a signature where it could be suppressed.

hitechRadio

How about also letting go of your assumptions and 'superiority complex' that just because YOU are a radio tech, that makes everybody else on this site "just a dumb scanner enthusiast"?

Sounds like your the one making assumptions.
'superiority complex' Really? How are you assuming that?
"just a dumb scanner enthusiast"? Never said that! Unless your assuming I think that?

So again, back to the, Regular scheduled chaos. LOL

Does anyone know, what the part number is for the bigger style channel knob for the APX7000?
My Apx has the smaller channel knob.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Besides, if you want to talk about superiority complexes, none of you hold a candle to a certain TRBO-loving salesman who spells out his full name including alphabet soup credentials, manually on every post, instead of in a signature where it could be suppressed.

Yeah, thats annoying.

PJH

No Code Tech, MBA, PE, LOL, WTF, W.H.O.R.E, CON, COT, HIHI!
(Incorporated)

So, back to one of the other questions.... I think Mike G is correct. There has to be a problem somewhere in the CPS or computer setup. Even my slower PC's (1.6GHz Centrino's) read/write a codeplug pretty quick - and the radio processes the 1.8MB codeplug in a timely fashion.

Unless your radios are running FW6 or older, then programming times will take longer as CPS needs to talk to the radio during the entire process. FW7 and later allows the CP to be written to the radio and the radio unpack and program itself so you can bang out many radios without it having to wait for each one.

FWIW, Mike is also an outstanding member of Batlabs and has contributed much over there much longer than Radioreference has been on the interwebs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.