• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX7000 P25 Multi-Band Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Haven't read the specs, but I am betting (and hoping) that the Thales will kick their butt. Motorola is not close to the company they used to be, when they actually had people who wanted to put out a quality product.

Nevermind, website is not found.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Good!! I say they kill off the XTS line and breathe some new life into the world.

jerk

Sweet radio, My county should buy some for use on our VHF and Safe-T system.

But probably budget busters, more so than regular moto trunked radios

Dispatch28

Got to check one out briefly here in Kansas City at the Trunked Users Group meeting Moto rep said they should be priced comparably with the XTS5000 the radio is much smaller that a XTS5000 also has a top display like a MTS2000 has built in GPS can't wait to get a better look tomorrow in the exhibit hall

Also there will be an a charger adapter out early next year so that a xts charger will work with the APX radio

Last edited:

mikegilbert

MHz so good
must-not-fap.jpg

W2SJW

Database Admin
OH MY GOD - that thing looks like ASS! :lol:

I have to agree with one of the original posters - give me the Thales Liberty any day over that abortion!!!

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Do they consult the people who use their radios before designing? Probably some biased focus groups with people who *think* they know how a radio should look and operate.

mancow

Database Admin
Man, I think it's awesome. It's the best of all worlds. You can carry it on the belt with the rugged speaker side out and if you go to grab it the thing is alreay oriented with the display toward you. There is a microphone on each side so audio shouldn't be an issue. The top display is excellent for duty belt carry. The top controls are still similar and not too cluttered. They still have the same 16 channels, secure switch and volume so that hasn't changed. The T shape is similar to a saber which I like. The color display kicks ass. I think it's an outstanding design.

The lack of UHF is assed up but leaving a key feature out of a product seems to be Corporate mandate for them anymore. :roll:

I agree that given the choice it would have to be the Liberty or Harris due to the lack of UHF.

Astro25

Well as posted on batlabs as well, they did asterik the bands on the .pdf, saying more or different ones will be added.

Better be... I can't see it selling much without UHF... not to mention the T band.

commscanaus

Need to sell *everything* to get one of those "Apex" radios!!! Very nice indeed!!

The Thales Liberty definitely has the goods- but the Motorola has the overall design.
Also agree that no UHF= Fail.

Unless Motorola addresses that issue- it won't see export use here- all P25 public safety is trunked in the 400-470 spectrum.

Me however- I would like to have an Apex portable for:

800Mhz Smartnet type II for where I work.
VHF for 2m HAM TX and a heap of fire and rescue services receive only.

Throw in FPP to truly make it sweet!.

Commscanaus.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
No they didn't forget UHF, what everyone is missing is the APX meets the TIA receiver specs. The Liberty does not. /\/\ could have easily added UHF but would have lost globs of sensitivity, and selectivity. The reason its 7/8/VHF is those were the easiest to impliment first. You will see UHF in 2010 or 2011 most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.