• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Apx7000 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

paladin5150

If I purchase a APX 7000 with two bands and the 7/800 is programmed with a system key Would I still have programming control over the secondary band? Would like to carry just one radio. Thanks for the info!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
A system key is tied to specific trunked system, and has no effect on any other programming in the radio unrelated to that system.

paladin5150

Can the keyed trucked system be moved into a nicer radio. Want to rid myself of two 2500's and put both in my 7000.

MSS-Dave

Can the keyed trucked system be moved into a nicer radio. Want to rid myself of two 2500's and put both in my 7000.
No. Not without system keys. Pretty much why system keys exist. Access and programming of subscriber units to system and limitation of said radios to be field programmed or cloned without permission.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar

and this is why those of us who administrate trunked radio networks write to radios with ASKs. This prevents duplicate IDs and activation of unauthorized subscriber radios on our systems.

if you want your 7K on whatever system, get it done the right way.

paladin5150

I just hate paying the local shop 75-100 bucks to read and write to my radio. Especially when I own the software. I guess it time for more money to big M.
Thanks for the info.

MSS-Dave

Just owning the software is not the point. If you have a system that was programmed with a legitimate key, and you are allowed to make changes, and you own ( bought from Motorola with a properly executed license not downloaded off the web), your system admin MIGHT consider giving you permission to program your own radio. I would only do that however with a locked down ASK giving you very limited range of what you can do. On the other hand, since you say it's a "trucking" system, I'm going with you have no business programming it on said "trucking" system as it has nothing to do with trucks and you need to go to the system admin or the authorized shop.

Like MTS2000des said above, do it right. System administrators cringe reading this stuff.....

paladin5150

Everyone is always thinking everyone is not suppose to be on the "system". I'm issued a radio 2500. I purchased a 7000 so I could use work and play on the vhf side. Big M charges an arm and a leg to copy over the codeplug. This is with AWIN. They just have strict rules. One being you must be in a position to be programming a min 200 radios to request a system Key. That's BS. Our small state agency doesn't have to budget for the radio updates. That's why we are issued old old stuff. I'm not doing anything illegal. Just trying to avoid Big M getting in my pocket because my agency has authorized the switch but I have to pay for it. I'm glad all the regs are there and I understand why.

paladin5150

I know its trunking not trucking but the IPhone autocorrected it. Anything else you need to point out. Help people, be kind. Don't ridicule.

cmdrwill

So, you need to get to be friends with the System Administrator. Then the admin could set up a limited syskey for you.

Problem is as MTS2000des stated, admins do not want some radio clown messing with incorrectly programmed radios that can cause system problems. And that 'radio clown' may even be the jerk at the "motorola shop".

And YES, Motorola shops do not always do a good job programming your radio. Their so-called tech probably knows far less that you do about programming.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Everyone is always thinking everyone is not suppose to be on the "system". I'm issued a radio 2500. I purchased a 7000 so I could use work and play on the vhf side. .

No, you are doing something that is unauthorized and possibly illegal in your state (it's a felony here in Georgia).

Your agency is authorized specific, approved hardware married to a network that is owned by someone else. Along with those approved radios is a user agreement. I'm pretty sure that agreement stipulates you cannot make changes to that radios programming, or allow others who aren't authorized by the system owner to do so. Those radio IDs are provisioned in the network for those specific radios. I'd be willing to bet my paycheck that your agencies' user agreement prohibits cloning or changing subscriber hardware without going through proper channels.

Everyone is always thinking everyone is not suppose to be on the "system". I'm issued a radio 2500. I purchased a 7000 so I could use work and play on the vhf side. Big M charges an arm and a leg to copy over the codeplug. This is with AWIN. They just have strict rules. One being you must be in a position to be programming a min 200 radios to request a system Key. That's BS.

Their system, their rules. Don't like it, build your own multi-million dollar network, hire a full time staff of folks to maintain it.

I'm really getting fed up with people who think they are entitled to use someone else's system however they wish. It doesn't work that way. The first person I catch doing what you are doing on my system, I will let them feel this guy's pain.

You have no idea what goes on behind the scenes of a modern trunked radio system and why "internet experts" can be such a pain in our collective butts. You have no idea how truly risky it is with life safety communications gear is put on our systems with cloned IDs by well meaning but seriously misinformed persons what problems it causes us.

Today I spent three hours correcting a cloned ID in a base radio at a fire station. They were MISSING CALLS because some idiot (in this case, it was a radio shop mistake) cloned an ID of a portable.

I get it, you want to use your shiny new APX7000 you just bought off eBay or FaceBook or where ever. Have you had that radio tuned, aligned, HOST/DSP brought up to current levels? Please tell me you have, because I assume as a professional firefighter, you would never put your life, or your brother/sister's life on the line with unknown equipment.
I would also think you would not want the liability of using unauthorized, unknown fit-for-duty gear should something go horribly wrong.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I speak for many system admins and fellow radio technicians when I tell you we run our systems the way we do for a reason: we have to maintain control of our networks so YOU ARE SAFE as you can be doing your job while using our systems to help you get back home safe.. Respect the network you are on and those who run it please.

paladin5150

It's not like I won't notify AWIN. I'm in charge of our system unit numbers. Thank you for your long reply but take it elsewhere. I asked a simple question and got a simple answer. It's simply, so far, just pay big M to move my code plug to a different radio. It will have the same ID, so it's not cloned per day. I understand it can be a headache for system admins but that's their job. The expensive equipment is in the latest firmware, etc. it's aligned by the latest state of the art aeroflex. So yea. I got my stuff together. Yes AWIN has authorized the transfer. Once again, was looking to avoid paying big M for a simple plug copy.

MSS-Dave

The OP may wish to read the Radio Programming User Agreement for AWIN, specifically this part:

Cloning of radio ID’s is strictly prohibited. No radio ID shall be programmed into a radio unless authorized by AWIN Operations to do so. No radio ID shall be duplicated in the AWIN system. Requests for new ID’s must follow the AWIN Request Radio ID Procedure

And still no THANKS button on this forum.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
It's not like I won't notify AWIN. I'm in charge of our system unit numbers. Thank you for your long reply but take it elsewhere. .

You asked. Sorry you don't like the answer. I am sure AWIN is probably already aware of what you are doing, us system folks usually browse these forums. It is our jobs to ensure the integrity of our systems and that users are following policy. Not that you seem to care about that.

I asked a simple question and got a simple answer. It's simply, so far, just pay big M to move my code plug to a different radio. It will have the same ID, so it's not cloned per day.

What you don't seem to grasp is the fact that we have rules and policies in effect for a reason. You may not like it, but you agreed to them when you came onto systems we manage. If you don't like it, you are free to put up your own system and allow what you wish. Again, I am only stating facts.

I understand it can be a headache for system admins but that's their job.

So you get why we get upset when people try to circumvent our policies. We take our users' safety seriously. Our bosses and taxpayers expect nothing less.

The expensive equipment is in the latest firmware, etc. it's aligned by the latest state of the art aeroflex. So yea. I got my stuff together. Yes AWIN has authorized the transfer. Once again, was looking to avoid paying big M for a simple plug copy.

So you have an Aeroflex (3920B?) and all the service tools but are complaining about paying an authorized programmer to do what they do and to honor the agreement your agency presumably signed with AWIN? That shop had to buy the 50K Aeroflex, cables, pay Motorola for software subscriptions, and the overhead of employees. Not to mention, they absorb the liability for anything with the radio once they touch it. But I know you could care less about that.

I'm glad all the regs are there and I understand why.

So why not just shut up and pay the authorized shop their fee and be done with it? You know we aren't as dumb as you think we are. Remember, we get paid what we do for a reason. ;)

Just take your shiny, tuned and aligned, updated (presumably you have R15.00.01 HOST on your 7K that just hit MOL on 10/29?) and bring it to your friendly shop and do it right. Or not.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I think the radio police have made their point and the OP has enough information.

Status
Not open for further replies.