• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX7000 uhf/vhf stubby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
Can anyone suggest where I can get a VHF/UHF stubby antenna with or without GPS? I looked all over eBay but can find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you're looking for a genuine Motorola VHF/UHF stubby antenna, you won't find one, because they never made such a model.

The only VHF/UHF antenna that Motorola makes is the PMAT4001, which is the standard 8.5" antenna for the APX series.

You'll either have to try to find something aftermarket, or you'll have to go with a single band antenna and compromise on the other band. Using a stubby antenna is already a compromise, so expect to have degraded performance no matter what.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
If you're looking for a genuine Motorola VHF/UHF stubby antenna, you won't find one, because they never made such a model.

The only VHF/UHF antenna that Motorola makes is the PMAT4001, which is the standard 8.5" antenna for the APX series.

You'll either have to try to find something aftermarket, or you'll have to go with a single band antenna and compromise on the other band. Using a stubby antenna is already a compromise, so expect to have degraded performance no matter what.

You're very much incorrect. Motorola does make a shorter VHF/UHF short antenna for the APX series.

The model number is PMAT4005

I use one daily on my APX8000. It's also only 1/2" longer than a single band UHF antenna.

My 8000 with the PMAT4005:
26720037472_4b35fb5ee7_b.jpg

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Fair enough, I guess I was "very much incorrect" if you consider a 6" antenna a "stubby" :roll:

VHF (156-174) UHF (440-470) Pretty lousy specs, but as I said, any antenna that is shorter than the recommended antenna is going to be a compromise.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
c0a876945c7f7106b1bfc00641fdc3cc.jpg

I used the antenna from my XTS5000 and the reception is 1000 times better than the stock VHF/UHF antenna that came with the APX.
I'm mostly listening to uhf 450-512, so it's not affecting the VHF as I haven't used it yet.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
True, it's not 3" stubby, but it's a smaller dual band. I use the same one on my APX7000XE V/U. Works great!

N4KVE

c0a876945c7f7106b1bfc00641fdc3cc.jpg

I used the antenna from my XTS5000 and the reception is 1000 times better than the stock VHF/UHF antenna that came with the APX.
I'm mostly listening to uhf 450-512, so it's not affecting the VHF as I haven't used it yet.

i used this UHF antenna for years on my Jedi's, Astro Sabers, XTS radios, etc. I was very happy. But now I have a 8000 with the proper multi band antenna. I use my 8000 on UHF 90% of the time. How would you compare performance of the 8000 antenna on UHF vs the whip I have been using for years.

Aaron_B

i used this UHF antenna for years on my Jedi's, Astro Sabers, XTS radios, etc. I was very happy. But now I have a 8000 with the proper multi band antenna. I use my 8000 on UHF 90% of the time. How would you compare performance of the 8000 antenna on UHF vs the whip I have been using for years.

The performance difference between both of the antennas is usually never noticeable (at least from my experience). In certain situations when I check the rssi the all band antenna will outperform the XTS UHF antenna but again I have never actually noticed any difference in the voice quality when transmitting and receiving.
bb0d8588c17b440f8bac44adff9e5721.jpg
c2d42be0c50ec257d26c8b9abaf0969c.jpg

n1das

The performance difference between both of the antennas is usually never noticeable (at least from my experience). In certain situations when I check the rssi the all band antenna will outperform the XTS UHF antenna but again I have never actually noticed any difference in the voice quality when transmitting and receiving.
bb0d8588c17b440f8bac44adff9e5721.jpg
c2d42be0c50ec257d26c8b9abaf0969c.jpg

It would be worthwhile to sweep each antenna on a VNA and measure S11 to see what the return loss looks like for each antenna. The results will show which antenna should perform best at a given frequency.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
probably doesnt matter much but from my personal real world usage the older style skinny UHF 6" antenna performs much better for me when compared to the newer thicker UHF antennas that come with the XPR6550 units. Same with the older vs newer UHF stubby antennas. (making sure the stubbys were in the same band 450-470 typically)
But i know the OP was looking at dual band VHF capable antennas.

N4KVE

probably doesnt matter much but from my personal real world usage the older style skinny UHF 6" antenna performs much better for me when compared to the newer thicker UHF antennas that come with the XPR6550 units. Same with the older vs newer UHF stubby antennas. (making sure the stubbys were in the same band 450-470 typically)
Are you comparing the older antenna to the newer XPR UHF/GPS antennas, or UHF only antennas? I've had good results with the XPR non GPS antennas.

Aaron_B

N4KVE I've also always wanted to test the antennas as I'm constantly swapping antennas and I sometimes wonder if it's even worth it, but, I've never gotten around to it. Once I eventually do it I will post the results here.

As for the OP, there are not a lot of options for VHV/UHF stubby antennas as mikegilbert mentioned, PMAT4005 is the shortest OEM VHF/UHF antenna but the split is pretty bad. Your best bet is to just go with the all band OEM 8000 antenna as it is actually shorter than the OEM whip VHF/UHF antenna.

Edit: OP if you are only using your radio to RX then the PMAT4005 should work fine for V/U

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.